PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap?

Jraysray
07-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Here is the deal,

I currently have a 305 w/ Alpha 1 set up on my 1990 classic 18. I plan to run this the rest of the summer and then swap up to some more cubic inches. Being that I am a novice at best, I need some input from you guys.

What do I step up to? I would like to keep Alpha for now and save some $$$. I would also like to find a reasonable balance between increased HP and reliability. I realize that this swap will satisfy me for a season or two before wanting to upgrade some more. So I need a platform in which I can build on.

My plan is to involve my son on this and eventually pass it on to him as I will surely move up on size and speed. (If his school grades will allow this privilege) Got to keep them busy!!!!

Your input is valued greatly!

mphatc
07-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Stay with the Alpha, replace the 305 with a 350 built with a nice cam and lots of torque . . . add a set of headers to help it breath, eventually when the Alpha gets tired you can switch that to a Bravo . . .

18s run best IMHO with a small block . .

Mario
18' Corsican H&M 333 HP and a Bravo I

gcarter
07-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Mario's right about all of it.
Just add a through transom pickup and closed cooling. You'll be glad you did! Clear Lake and Galveston Bay doesn't have the cleanest water around.
Check out Ocean East Marine. Great prices.

Cuda
07-01-2005, 10:20 PM
If I had to do it all again, I'd just get a new Merc 300hp Mpi and be done with it.

Chili 18
07-02-2005, 01:23 AM
If I had to do it all again, I'd just get a new Merc 300hp Mpi and be done with it.

Somewhere between here and there..... I'm happy with mine...

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/Marine+Engines/GM+base+marine+engines+NEW/5.7L+Vortec+marine+engine-BRONZE+package+(1967-2005+replacement))

blackhawk
07-04-2005, 06:28 PM

I agree, I'm glad I stuck with stock motor in my boat. I could have gotten more hp for the money I spent on my 5.7Gxi but I have a tried and tested REAL marine motor. I don't want any doubt in the back of my mind when I do a 10 minute wide open run! Peace of mind is priceless!!! :D