PDA

View Full Version : X 18 question

Rob Birch
07-01-2005, 11:36 AM
I bought an 18ft Donzi about 15 years ago and throu this site I just found out it is a 1974 X-18. I'm from Muskoka, Ontario,Canada. There are not a lot of old 18's around here. It has a 270 drive in it with no trim, just tilt. Came with a brass prop (21/15.5) . Has a plaque over the speedo saying "especially buit for Mark David Finkelstein". Steering is on the left. I repowered it years ago with a small block 350 chev. My marina mechanic has found a 350/Alpha 1 setup from some boat that he will install in my boat. I like the idea of getting power trim and the mercruser set up. Give me some advise regarding the trade off between maintaining the value of the boat and performance.

olredalert
07-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Rob,

-----Welcome to the board. Sounds like you have a nice X18 there. Has your mechanic told you that the Volvo hole in the transom is larger than the hole needed for the Alpha set-up? You will probably end up doing over your whole transom to affect this change. Not that it wouldnt be a good change because the trim is, of course, very nice to have. Make sure what Alpha you are considering too, as some Alpha variations would not be as hearty as the Volvo you are removing. If you end up doing the switch it shouldnt effect the value too much, but obviously, you will have a lot more money in the boat at that point. Hope this helps you......................Bill S

Rob Birch
07-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks so much for responding Bill. My Mechanic did say it would require transom reworking before cutting out the new hole. The original engine mount braces in this boat seem awlfully thin; looks like they are only 1-1.5 inches wide. Should probably rebrace down there. The prop is really unusual. Its brass and looks like it came off an inboard and has very small diameter hub but it fits right onto the Volvo drive.

MOP
07-01-2005, 07:57 PM
The stringers should be just fine as long as they have not gotten wet over the years, I/O's put less strain on stringers then inboards as the torque is taken up in the transom shield. The prop you have was a common thing back about 20 years ago, some still run that style. If it were me I would try to hunt down T&T for your drive, it is a very reliable unit damn near bullet proof! But either way T&T is hard to beat.

Phil

Marlin275
07-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Same X-18 stringer problem.
Motor mounts broke the stringer
when she landed on her side.

Here is the photo of the damage
You can see the unsealed notched stringers
from the factory!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1159