PDA

View Full Version : Big Responsibility.....

EricG
05-02-2001, 11:39 AM
So, I finally meet what may be the perfect girl....among all of the other great traits, she own's 2 short box Chev Pick-ups, a 97 for a daily driver, and a '74 just for fun....and loves drag racing!! Hell, our third date we spent about an hour looking through HER Chev. parts catalog!! (I'm a Mopar Guy, so I'm working on the whole Chev thing...).

Anyway, just like most of you....I'm totally obsessed with the whole Donzi thing, and have been boating my whole life. She seems very receptive to the whole thing. Then, last week, while I'm drooling over the new boats at the local Donzi dealer it happens.

Me: "So have you ever actually been in a fast boat?"
Her: "Not Exactly"....silly grin
Me: "Oh my god, have you ever been in a Boat?"
Her: "Does a Ferry or an Aircraft Carrier Count(Dad was Navy)....then No"

So now I have the responsibility of introducing her to the joy that this hobby is, but I'm sort-of afraid I'm going to screw up and scare her away from it....Any advice?

EG

Oh yeah, plus the fact that I had to work up my whole (albeit short-I'm 27) life through all of those "other" boats - and she gets to start with the best....that's not quite fair!!

CDMA
05-02-2001, 11:44 AM
They like it or they don't. It really is the person. I think with the truck/ drag racing thing you have a good chance.

Chris

Then again my life is shorter so who am I to speek.

digitalMan
05-02-2001, 05:47 PM
Nothing says "I'm sorry for scaring the ever loving hell out of you" quite like a sunset on the water...

Chicks dig 'em!

Christian
05-02-2001, 08:48 PM
ahh thats a tricky 1
well i am sure to run a little softer and slower on the 1st couple rides out with a new donzi girl. hope that helps. some can't get the sound thing. 1 co-ed swaped a ride in 18 for a ride in her pops 66 gt 350 now that was a nice time.

Dr. Dan
05-02-2001, 08:53 PM
EricG, Congratulations on finding a pal & a "lady", I've never met a woman who doesn't appreciate a date/man acting like a gentleman. Don't scare the B Jesus out of her by launching off a wake, right away, at least. There will be plenty of time to strut your "boats" stuff. Good Luck, stick to waterside picnics and some easy conversation looking at some of those fantastic sunsets! You'll do fine!...Doc

Len
05-02-2001, 09:55 PM
Take her out, chat about the boat, quirks, highlights, take her up to 40-45 mph, back off and then ask if she would like to drive. Mine said yes and it was her that kept it matted, ( a little naive mind you but the ball was in her court and I wasn't the one scaring her. She didn't even scare herself!)50-55mph tho... I think when they have the controls (very short time)it is much nicer for them the first time out. Then you can talk motors, going fast, big air and all the rest, and start driving again. Good luck to ya and it's supposed to be sunny. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Tom on Lanier
05-02-2001, 10:35 PM
I agree with Len. Take it real easy at first. Set it up so she doesn't have to do anything but throttle and steer. Then encourage her to drive. I did that with June. I showed her 40 and she showed me 65 http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif It's OK for you to be scared, but not her!

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

MarkG
05-03-2001, 05:51 PM
Eric

From my past experience I'll bet she will say "Can't this thing go any faster"!!!! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

(Excluding motion sickness or rough water)

I heard this before while going 78MPH in one of my Outboard boats. I never had a girl turn down a boat ride!

Mark >=^;>

BigGrizzly
05-03-2001, 08:11 PM
If she is a real racers lady don't show off they get turned off fast by that. If she is in to drag races then she knows the checkered flag separates the boys from the gentlemen. If she doesn't like you for what you are then forget it!!!

Randy

GEOO
05-04-2001, 05:34 AM
HUM!!!!!!! Now we Know your trick!! GEOO

EricG
05-04-2001, 09:39 AM
Thanks everyone for your words of advice/encouragement....I knew I could count on my Donzi Bretheren....I have this sinking feeling that her only negative comment will be "Doesn't it go any faster?"...Time to start shopping for a supercharger.....

Tomorrow's the big day...we're going out for Opening Day....

Thanks again for all of the great words of wisdom!!

EG

Len
05-05-2001, 07:57 PM
Dammit!!! The only important thing that he really needed to be aware of I forgot to tell him...

WEAR THE DONZI REGISTRY SHIRT!

http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

BigGrizzly
05-05-2001, 08:29 PM
Common Eric, give us the scoop, hope it went well.

Randy

EricG
05-06-2001, 11:09 AM
It went great!! Launched at 7:00 AM (45 degrees...) But we had big coats and Coffee, a light breeze, about a foot of chop.....took a nice leisurely 30MPH cruise out to tie up for the opening day festivites.
So far so good, she's smiling....

Tie up to my buddies 42' Trawler and an aquaintence's '88 Z29 (she's receptive to the idea of moving up to it....still good!!). All day just hanging out on the log-boom, with about 30 people on our boats, and about 2000 other boats.....

Then we took off after the parade....I had to ferry another friend back to the launch, so it was a fairly short cruise back, but since I was also testing a new prop I had to run it up once, just to see what it would do, and of course see how the prop holds in turns....

After we got hauled out and started heading home, she told me that her favorite part was when we got airborne (big wake)....she thought that was a total rush!!

All in all, she definitely wants do go out again, and this time I'm sure she'll be doing most of the driving.....

EG

Oh yeah, Len, It was way to cold for the shirt, but I was wearing my brand new Donzi Registry Hat!!

boldts
05-06-2001, 11:16 AM
Eric,
As the Austrian Beer comercial goes, KEEPER! Sounds like you both had a great day on the water and best of all, you have a gal that enjoys your Donzi as much as you do.

Scott Boldt

Tom on Lanier
05-06-2001, 11:58 AM
Marry her - quick!

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

Dr. Dan
05-06-2001, 12:31 PM
I agree with Tom!...Keep us posted, glad to hear it went well!...Doc

BigGrizzly
05-06-2001, 04:34 PM
As my 90 year old mother would say on a wendsday nite, BINGO. Hope this works for you, good women are hard to find now. Seems all the Donzi registry members have married them.

Randy

Dr. Dan
05-06-2001, 10:02 PM
I know I did !...Doc