PDA

View Full Version : Snake in the office........

Sport
07-01-2005, 09:37 AM
We just had a baby pygme rattlesnake in our office. A couple of guys said that they are more posionus when they are younger. Is this true ? I just grabbed a broom and swept him out the door, he got pretty aggressive ! I wonder if there are more now creeping around, I keep looking under my desk !

Sport !

McGary911
07-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Guess that's your welcome back to Florida, right?

Tom Davis
07-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Q: Are they more poisonous when they are young?

A: No the venom is the same, BUT they have no control of how much venom they inject when they are young so they inject all they have. The amount of venom makes the bite more serious.

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

Yes I have allot of Useless Woopie knowledge :wink:

Mr X
07-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Holy Crap!

yes it is true, for some reason the pygmie rattler is very poisonous.
Drop per drop more so that the eastern diamondback!

How the hell did he get in there??
Nice of you not to kill it......you can sell them for big bucks to the anti-venom
labs!

Fish boy
07-01-2005, 10:05 AM
I have dealt with a lot of snakes in the office, but they all had two legs :D Tom is right about the strength of the poison, but pigmy's are not likely to kill ya whether young or old, just make you really uncomfortable, sick, and nervous everytime you hear a buzzing that sounds like a really big bee (the rattle is real high pitch).

Mr X
07-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Hmmm.....I stand corrected! ;)

Fish boy
07-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Hmmm.....I stand corrected! ;)

Gues we were typing at the same time. Doh!

Fish boy
07-01-2005, 10:18 AM
From FWC website Florida Venomous snakes (http://myfwc.com/pubs/venomous.pdf)

BTW the only one that skeeeres me is the cottonmouth. It will chase after you and bite ya just for fun. Nasty buggers, can swim and will climb in your boat.

Sport
07-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Wow ! Now I want to duct tape the bottoms of my pants to my socks. I keep looking under my desk. I hate snakes !

Sport !

Sport
07-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Fishboy,

Yep, it sure was a pygme ! Thanks for the pics.

Sport !

Sport
07-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Damn, I should have taken a picture of it ! He was only about 18" long though.

florida gator
07-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Very dangerous. They also give live birth. I say this so you are careful in the method in which you kill them. I once cut a mother with a shovel and had several babies squirming around from her belly!!

Craig S
07-01-2005, 10:57 AM
I have dealt with a lot of snakes in the office, but they all had two legs :D ).

I thought that was what this was about! :bonk:

gold-n-rod
07-01-2005, 03:46 PM
No the venom is the same, BUT they have no control of how much venom they inject when they are young so they inject all they have.

Heh-heh, kind of reminds me of when I was young. Ahh, the good old days!!! ;)

Cuda
07-01-2005, 08:57 PM
I've seen quite a few of them when I'm hunting. They are the most lethargic snake I've ever seen. Many times, you will think they are dead.

Now the cottonmouth is just an ill tempered critter.

This one won't bother anyone again.

Jraysray
07-01-2005, 09:02 PM
How many times did you back over him?:tongue:

I've seen quite a few of them when I'm hunting. They are the most lethargic snake I've ever seen. Many times, you will think they are dead.

Fish boy
07-01-2005, 09:12 PM

First time I ever saw a snake bitten by a Cuda. :D

Cuda
07-01-2005, 09:24 PM
How many times did you back over him?:tongue:
Two twelve guage number eights, and a whack with a shovel did him in. I killed two here beside my house last year during the hurricanes.

TuxedoPk
07-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Fish, I've heard that snakes never bite in law offices.. it's a professional courtesy thing :)

Fish boy
07-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Fish, I've heard that snakes never bite in law offices.. it's a professional courtesy thing :)

how do you tell the difference between a dead snake and a dead attorney lying in the road....

...The snake has skid marks in front of it. :D

BTW, I have been in more corporate offices than law offices.

Jraysray
07-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Brother I hear you!!!!! I was raised on the water here in TX and I have run across many of those bad boy's! What used to piss me off is during the .02 sec it took my sissy ass to get the 12 ga, those suckers disappeared!

Only to reappear when my dog would drop them off at the front step. Nothing like screaming and basically freaking out @ 0630 while I stepped on the recently deceased snakes. I know that dog did it on purpose!!!!

Two twelve guage number eights, and a whack with a shovel did him in. I killed two here beside my house last year during the hurricanes.

Donzigo
07-02-2005, 06:48 AM
RE: No the venom is the same, BUT they have no control of how much venom they inject when they are young so they inject all they have. The amount of venom makes the bite more serious

I had an ex-wife that was just like the snake you described..........

Cuda
07-02-2005, 08:20 AM
RE: No the venom is the same, BUT they have no control of how much venom they inject when they are young so they inject all they have. The amount of venom makes the bite more serious

I had an ex-wife that was just like the snake you described..........

Now that's funny! :rlol: