PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on "Drive-on Docks"?

p729lws
07-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Does anyone here have any experience with these products? The best quote I've had for a boat house is $20K and the Jet-Dock is running $6K freight allowed for the 18' model. I like that these keep the boat at water level which should obstruct less of the water view. The other reason I'm considering one is that they do not require a construction permit because they are not permanently attached to the property. Permits are running 6-months in our area IF you can find a design professional to generate the construction documents. Its also still very hard to get marine contractors and the Jet-Doc is DIY.

I've searched the net but I can not find any opinions on these.

http://www.jetdock.com/

Thanks, Dan

RickSE
07-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Blueliner has a great setup under his 22-Aronow. Not cheap but less then a boat house and a lot easier on the boat then a drive-on. There are a few pics in this thread.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40656

wiltok
07-01-2005, 10:44 AM
I looked at Jet Dock too. Could never figure out how you get the boat off the dock? In a video, people are pushing the boat in the water (more like a PWC). I like the idea of being able to walk around it....

Eugene Nahemow
07-01-2005, 10:59 AM
I purchased a jet dock for my 27' Magnum with the stipulation that it would work.
It was a really frightening experience.

First you have to be able to judge you approach and speed exactly everytime.
Not a simple task with varying wind and water conditions.
When you hit the dock you are pointed straight up in the air for launch. No sight of the horizon. You then pray you will land correctly. :eek:

Launching is no easy task either . You use a pulley system to back your boat off the ramp. Not easy with the weight of the boat and friction.
Obviously my boat is longer and much heavier than an 18 or 22 Donzi but the basic problems are still there.

We finally had to coat the dock with liquid rollers.
My first attempt to dock was something to watch. I hit the dock at the same speed that I normally did and then the liquid rollers took over.
If it was for my nose cones piecing the jet dock I would have ended up on my front lawn.

Needless to say, the dealer took the jet dock back and I put in a cable sytem.

p729lws
07-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Blueliner has a great setup under his 22-Aronow. Not cheap but less then a boat house and a lot easier on the boat then a drive-on. There are a few pics in this thread.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40656

I looked at this set-up at the last boat show. The price with the canopy was very close to my boathouse quotes. It looked like it had too many moving parts for me. :eek!: The video was fun to watch but I would not want to be around if it ever broke.

Dan

p729lws
07-01-2005, 11:55 AM
I purchased a jet dock for my 27' Magnum with the stipulation that it would work.
It was a really frightening experience.

First you have to be able to judge you approach and speed exactly everytime.
Not a simple task with varying wind and water conditions.
When you hit the dock you are pointed straight up in the air for launch. No sight of the horizon. You then pray you will land correctly. :eek:

Launching is no easy task either . You use a pulley system to back your boat off the ramp. Not easy with the weight of the boat and friction.
Obviously my boat is longer and much heavier than an 18 or 22 Donzi but the basic problems are still there.

We finally had to coat the dock with liquid rollers.
My first attempt to dock was something to watch. I hit the dock at the same speed that I normally did and then the liquid rollers took over.
If it was for my nose cones piecing the jet dock I would have ended up on my front lawn.

Needless to say, the dealer took the jet dock back and I put in a cable sytem.

Eugene,
That doesn't sound fun at all. Sounds like I need to find one I can try with the 18 so I know what I'm getting into. :yes:

Thanks for the input.
Dan

CHACHI
07-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Eugene,
That doesn't sound fun at all. Sounds like I need to find one I can try with the 18 so I know what I'm getting into. :yes:

Thanks for the input.
DanDan, try looking at a 4 post lift, no boathouse needed. I saw these when I was in fla this spring shopping for a lift. I thought the 4 post lift was slick but it would not work in my boathouse. I ended up with a lift that hangs from the rafters. The jet dock looks ok for watercraft. Ken

blueliner
07-01-2005, 02:24 PM
all i can say is the sunstream lift system is fantastic. works like a charm. easy to dock and pull out. remote control, solar powered, not permanently attached, it is basically a super easy setup. as to there being to many moving parts, don't know what u are really talking about. it is all hinged just to go up and down. the posts collapse inside themselves and the bottom section just hinges in and out. i love it and everyone that sees it says wow. looked at hydrohoist, boatfloat, jet dock, etc. this was the easiest to use and the most convenient way to keep my boat out of the water. plus it is great for cleaning afterwards and flushing engine, just walk around the floats. if you need more info e-mail me.

Sam
07-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Check out the "Air Dock" it may fit the bill www.airdock.com.

Sam

Chili 18
07-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Air dock... Holds moisture barrier to hull

Jet dock... Beats up the bow and "striking" area on hull. Neanderthal paint guy I used said they suck...i.e. he loves them.... Keeps him busy repairing stripped hulls on PWC.

No easy answers here I’ve found. All things considered, I have a new found appreciation for my trailer...

c

Chili 18
07-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Styrafoam block... Creative!

I do know someone that has two air docks. One under his 18. The other lifts a 32 sport cruiser. He is pleased with the system and the company. My only hesitation is it would seem they would hold a film of water against the hull. Perhaps its not an issue. I know the turtles like to sun bath on the black surface when he's out on the water...

p729lws
07-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

We just got in from spending the weekend at Pensacola beach for the Blue Angles air show. I tried to post a reply to this thread from the hotel room but I guess it didn't take.

Ken, I'm not sure a know what you mean by a "four post lift". Do you have a link for a web Site?

Blueliner, Glad to here that you like your SunStream. I noticed today that one of my neighbors has one so I may go have a look at his since you've provided a positive review.

Sam, I had not found the "AirDock" during my previous web searches, Thanks.

I'm waiting on one more quote for a traditional boat house before I pull the triger. I'm hoping he's in line price wise as I would rather go that route. But if he isn't I think I'll go with one of the above listed options as I don't want to wait for prices to come back down in this area.

Thanks again guys,
Dan

Sam
07-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Chili 18, the thin film of water that may get traped would evaporate in a short time. When you think of it's no different than a wet bunk on a trailer next to the hull.

Sam