PDA

View Full Version : Black Water

Jraysray
06-30-2005, 09:45 PM
I was replacing the recirc pump today and when I removed the lower hose black water came out. I ALWAYS flush after each outing and I also use salt terminator when in the salty stuff.

Should I be concerned about this and is there a way to flush the cooling system with the pump removed? Should I also replace the thermostat at this time? If so, will a standard t-stat work or is there a marine version for this?

Set me straight!

MOP
07-01-2005, 07:03 AM
The black is normal, I have drained fresh water cooled blocks that had no anti freeze and they looked black so not to worry just normal corrosion. The thermostat is a standard piece but should be 140 degrees for raw water cooled, they last a very long time usualy only go bad if you over heat the engine and blow the gel cap. You can check it in a pot of water on the stove, it should open about the same time the water gets to hot to put your finger in, it will open well before the water boils 140 degrees is what most house hot water heaters are set at.

Phil

Jraysray
07-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanx Phil.

The black is normal, I have drained fresh water cooled blocks that had no anti freeze and they looked black so not to worry just normal corrosion. The thermostat is a standard piece but should be 140 degrees for raw water cooled, they last a very long time usualy only go bad if you over heat the engine and blow the gel cap. You can check it in a pot of water on the stove, it should open about the same time the water gets to hot to put your finger in, it will open well before the water boils 140 degrees is what most house hot water heaters are set at.

Phil