PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 270 Intermediate Housing question:

kjly63
06-30-2005, 10:48 AM
On my setup with a 350 chvy I have an intermedite housing with what looks like an oil fill cap????????

I've looked at Matty's and he doesn't have this on his Ford/250 Volvo setup. It appears to be a short "extension shaft" with 2 ball bearings that marry's the bell housing to the drive.

Question is: :cartman: does oil belong in here?????

Ken

TD
06-30-2005, 02:23 PM
I recentlly rebuilt that intermediate housing. There are bearing assemblies front and rear that the shaft rest in. That access hole on top would be for grease. I packed some grease in before pressing in the larger bearing. If I were to ever add grease, I would be careful not to put in to much and risk blowing the seal( keeps water out).
Hope that helps!!

nguber57
07-02-2005, 07:29 AM
this part will bolt to a bellhousing that accepts a velvet drive

kjly63
04-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Getting ready to put the boat in this w/e. Again, not really sure what to put in here? I packed the bearings when I put it together.....3 yrs ago. I have not added anything since................something should be in there to lubricate? no?:bonk:

Anyone have this setup on theirs?

Kenny

mrfixxall
04-27-2006, 09:59 PM
I tapped the hole in mine and installed a greece zurt and i use mobile 1 synthetic greece

penbroke
04-28-2006, 09:16 PM
My Clymers manual says: "Fill the lubrication cup with multipurpose lubricant."

That should clear things up a bit... :rolleyes:

Frank

MOP
04-29-2006, 07:02 AM
I was trying to remember what I was told many years back, I vaguely remember them saying it was oil in the cavity and needed to be at a level to just keep the rollers wet. If you think about it grease will drop when it gets hot and leave very little protection, also oil being in contact with the housing will pull a little heat out of the assembly.

Phil