PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk shifting problems.

DonCig
06-30-2005, 10:47 AM
We put the BH on the 18 and we have a shifting issue. in the shop the foward/neutral/reverse shifting sequence works fine, but, put the boat in the water with a water load on the props and the proble develops. with the engine at idle with a stock single handle merc control handle the shifter will work properly when shifting fron neutral to foward and then back into neutral. the problem is that when you shift from neutral to reverse. the boat goes into reverse but i can not move the shift handle back into neutral with the engine running. i can turn off the ignitin and then move the control handle back into neutral or foward. the throttle works properly as it relates to fuel delivery . The engine is a 97 350 Mag Gen +
Any ideas?

gcarter
06-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Mark Weinburger's (Yesyoucan) Blackhawk has a similar problem. I think he had an Alpha ignition interupter too. Lots of mass spinning around.

MOP
06-30-2005, 05:46 PM
I just went through that with mine, was two things stiff through the throw and hard to get neutral. A board reco was to grease the detent in the shift converter, the cavity was nearly bone dry I took the detent apart and greased everything real well. That smoothed the throw out. I did not have the Merc book so what I did to get the cables to work was let it idle with the cable coming from the helm disconnected, I shifted it into forward and marked the converter then shifted in to reverse and marked that end. I brough the drives shift levet to the center of both marks then adjusted the barrel connecter on the helms cable until it slipped on easily, it now shifts like butter.

Phil

Lenny
06-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Don, how fast is it going? and how does it run ???

YoAnthony
06-30-2005, 07:19 PM
I can share my experience with my Alpha one merc. Maybe it will help. There is an ignition interrupter which is a switch mounted on a pivot point where the shift cable mounts to the bell housing. The purpose is to briefly cut the ignition and take the torque off the shift dog so it will disengage. The Shift dog teeth engage so that once it is engaged, engine torque makes it stay engaged. If the switch was misadjusted or failed, you could not get it out of gear. Also if the switch was misadjusted you could loose your ignition and not figure out why the motor keeps quiting.

Anthony

joseph m. hahnl
06-30-2005, 07:52 PM
I can share my experience with my Alpha one merc. Maybe it will help. There is an ignition interrupter which is a switch mounted on a pivot point where the shift cable mounts to the bell housing. The purpose is to briefly cut the ignition and take the torque off the shift dog so it will disengage. The Shift dog teeth engage so that once it is engaged, engine torque makes it stay engaged. If the switch was misadjusted or failed, you could not get it out of gear. Also if the switch was misadjusted you could loose your ignition and not figure out why the motor keeps quiting.

Anthony

That makes a lot of sense: my alpha does just that. when i shift from forward or reverse into nuetral. the motor cuts out for a breif moment. and then turns back on.

MOP
06-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Blackhawks and Bravos do not use an interrupt, I feel it is all in lubrication and adjustment. Mine was horrible now silky, just took a little time and patiance.

Phil

DonCig
06-30-2005, 08:30 PM
my merc mechanic also said that the 97 350 MAG MPI does not have a shift interupter. the 502 MPI that was connected shifted fine. I was also told that the 96 502 MPI does not have a shift interupter.

DonCig

DonCig
09-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Shifting problem solved, but at a very high price. We installed the newest version of Merc. top gears, shifter fork, cone clutches and the shifting is now perfect. We installed the full 1:65 top end gear kit. If you choose to make a top end gear rebuild on a BH, be very very careful to confirm that you are really purchasing a 2001 or later machining of the upper end. Merc. made some changes to the cone clutch oil grooves, and to the shifter fork ramp profile to try and improve the shifting. You also will be getting the best Hardened Gears that Merc. has available. The boat seems to run well with the regearing and I will be able to do some top speed evaluations of the change at PK in late Sept.

DonCig

MOP
09-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Don don't forget to bring your lap top to PK, I can't wait for the results still glued to this thread.

Phil

Woodsy
09-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Don....

Keep us posted.... I bet she runs real good.....

Woodsy