PDA

View Full Version : Micro-Switch FYI

KennyD
06-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Hello Everyone. This post is an FYI. I recently ran into a problem with a micro-switch on my 89 Regazza (OMC Cobra 5.7). One of the 2 switches (overstock and ignition interrupt) failed, upon replacement of the switch (overstroke) I tightened the 2 mounting screws down to what I thought was tight enough to prevent them from backing out do to normal engine vibration. Well, come to find out that if these screws are tightened to much it prevents the switch from functioning. In effect compressing the outside plastic case against the micro-switch contained within. So after a few days of pulling out my hair I discovered that these screws should be tightened just enough to hold the switch securely in place then use loctite or other thread locking compound to keep them in place. Since this discovery and backing off the screws everything is working as it's supposed to. Just an FYI for future referrence.

txtaz
06-30-2005, 11:02 AM
If you are talking about the run of the mill switch, I would agree. Honeywell who tradmarked "micro switch" makes some of the best MILSPEC switches available.
Look at http://content.honeywell.com/sensing/products/switches/ for replacements.
Wes