PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a quad

Eugene Nahemow
06-30-2005, 01:40 AM
Can a 18 classic be towed and launched with a quad?

I live in a small community that has a private launch ramp and was wondering if there was a quad that I could use to launch and retrieve the boat.

The ramp has a long slope to it.

If so, what models would be suitable.

Thanks.

Sea Biscuit
06-30-2005, 06:39 AM
I tried that with my 16, everything went well until I tried to pull it out. It would just spin all 4 on the wet concrete,it was even thinking about sliding back into the water quad and all. Good luck!

mattyboy
06-30-2005, 07:37 AM
i think the smallest i would go would be a windstar :rlol: :p

hey wait a minute :rolleyes:

Johntrip
06-30-2005, 07:50 AM
I had a 21 foot Contender. I used to pull my boat around the yard with a Honda Fourman 450. I think if you try and back your boat into the water with a quad you should disconnect the boat before hand so you don't drag the quad in the water. Pulling it out will be impressive to say the least. You'll need a dry ramp and weight over the tires for sure... Good Luck!!

Dr. Dan
06-30-2005, 08:13 AM
:banghead: Eugene...I think you could get away possibly with the 6 Wheeled Gator from John Deere, they have 4 Tires in the Rear...and are longer wheel base... but to be honest...I think it would be cheaper to get an older CJ Jeep, it will be small enough to scoot around in the community and legal to go get groceries... Quads are incredible and very diverse...but there is no substitute for Mass and Balance when it comes to applying the Torque where and when you want it! IMO :wink:

Good Luck

Doc :D

Eugene Nahemow
06-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks all.
These are kind of the answers I suspected, although I was told by someone that you can add weights to the front of a quad for this type of work.
I was just trying to not always have to drive up to the house in my 3/4 ton.

BUIZILLA
06-30-2005, 11:28 AM
I pulled my Sugar Sand around my lakehouse mountain/hill with my 425 Polaris 4x4 for 3 summers....

just don't go down a gravel road, like I did, and make a turn with it using the quad's brakes..... :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

no issues whatsoever, launching or retrieving it, powerwise

in fact, I have a double trailer (2 double trailers attached) for my Sea-Doo's, and it was the easiest way to manuever those, backwards, uphill, on pavement, into my garage. 4wd, low range.

JH

glashole
06-30-2005, 01:29 PM
If you are looking for something really cool and are in the market for a new 4 wheeler bypass the Gator and get a Polaris Ranger.

The RANGER would have the mass to pull the boat and the capacity it also has the speed to keep up with 4 wheelers on the trail, side by side seating, gas pedal and steering wheel (easy for the wife to drive)

The Yamaha Rhino is basically the same (alot sportier) but I wouldn't use it for the boat as it would have the same problem as the quads (vehicle mass)

The Kubota unit would have no problems with the baot at all but is a little slow and alot pricey

regards

Shea

Eugene Nahemow
06-30-2005, 02:05 PM
You don't think the Polaris Sportsman would work?

glashole
06-30-2005, 03:28 PM
yes

but get at least the 500
and always use low range when pulling heavy loads (with any belt brive bike)
take a serious look at the 600 twin- lots of power and a ton of torque

:moped:

Moody Blu'
06-30-2005, 09:12 PM
whatever quad it is it has to be around 450cc or more.

also, adding weights to the front and rear fo the quad will help to keep the power to the ground.

still though the biggest quads out there are the honda(rincon) and kawasaki (prairie) the polaris are decent too
and all of them are under 700 pounds, so 2000 pound boats could sink the quad..

Cuda
07-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Just last week, I put a ball on my Bombardier Outlander 330 to see if it could hold the weight on my Formula 20 SC. The tongue weight didn't drop it much at all. I didn't pull it out though, I need to build an engine cover first.