PDA

View Full Version : New house

onesubdrvr
06-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Well, the new house,...you know, the one stopping me from having my way with boats :bawling: :splat: , is finally progressing, after signing the contract in December, they FINALLY got the foundation poured today, should start to move pretty quick now, who knows, maybe we'll be in for Christmas!!

A couple of pictures of the lot, and so on, will keep posting as it progresses, pictures of new foundation tomorrow ;)

Wayne

MOP
06-30-2005, 06:55 AM
Wayne that hole in the ground will gain in value the holes in the water we play with are a bottomless pits! A nice house will pump you up as good as a good wet toy, best of luck with it.

Phil

Ranman
06-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Ahhhh, that basement looks a bit shallow. You might have a hard time getting around down there. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Congratulations and good luck on the build.

Johntrip
06-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Wayne, Are you Subbing out the house yourself.?? I sell building materials and would be willing to help you...!! John

BUIZILLA
06-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Are you building right next door to where you now live??

onesubdrvr
06-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Phil, you're absolutely right, my wife and I LOVED the model, but the bad news was that is was only a 3 bedroom, so we added a partial 2nd story, to add 2 more bedrooms, an additional bath, and a nice size play room for the kids. All in all, just under 4k sq. ft. Should be more than big enough for our tribe!!

JohnTrip - No, I'm having almost nothing to do with it, we hired a builder to do all the work. I once had dreams of designing / building my own house, but this one is nearly everything I want. Thanks for the offer though, that's awesome.

Jim - Yup, I bought the lot next door to my house a little over a year ago for a song,......actually, more like a jingle (really darn near stole it). My dreams were to clear it, fence it in, install the ultimate workshop, and give the kids more yard to play in,...then I got custody of my two oldest girls, changed the game all together!!

I've been really lucky in my real-estate investments to this point, random timing is everything!!

BASEMENT!!! DARN - IT, I knew they screwed SOMETHING up, just couldn't quite catch on to what it was :biggrin: .

(For those that don't know, the water table in Florida is too high to allow the building of basements, you wouldn't get far enough down before getting to water.)

boxy
06-30-2005, 02:49 PM
Ahhhh, that basement looks a bit shallow. You might have a hard time getting around down there. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Congratulations and good luck on the build.

Randy, I was thinking the same thing, and I don't think those footings are deep enough below the frost line to prevent heaving later on .......

Ahhh the joys of building in an Artic enviroment.......

gcarter
06-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Where I live in very hilly Central Florida, you could have a basement, but no one does. Way too expensive. You'd have to hire a transplanted yankee builder that knew how to do it. :rlol:
Most of our retired customers, when buying their retirement home always end up with too small of a garage, because that's where everything ends up.

gcarter
06-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Oh yeah Wayne;
Congratulations on that very important first step.

Fish boy
06-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Congrats man!!!

Cuda
07-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Believe it or not, the McDonald's in Altamonte Springs at I4 has a basement.

onesubdrvr
07-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Well,

The house is progressing nicely, picture 1 shows status as of Friday afternoon, remained untouched until Tuesday morning, pics 2-5 show it as of this afternoon after work,.....

They do move fast!!

Wayne

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!!:biggrin:

onesubdrvr
07-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Well, a couple of weeks have gone by, here is how it's looking now :)

Wayne

McGary911
07-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Starting to look like a house now. Congrats. Weird for me to see the blocks going up. 99% of the houses up here are stick built. Whats the exterior finish going to be? Stucco.....with ceramic roof tiles?

onesubdrvr
07-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Starting to look like a house now. Congrats. Weird for me to see the blocks going up. 99% of the houses up here are stick built. Whats the exterior finish going to be? Stucco.....with ceramic roof tiles?

Thanks!

Front of the house, over the block, is hardi-board siding, sides and back are stucco. The roof is a metal roof - Key West style :smile: - Time for some Margaritas pool-side soon!! :party: .

Wayne

Cuda
07-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Now is when progress will come to a crawl. Once they are done framing, and the finish trades start, you'll be getting bitter at the lack of progress. I know, because I'm in a finishing trade. It's usually due to ****ty work the previous trades do, warped bent walls, slabs that resemble frozen oceans that they want to lay 18x18 tile on. It's like trying to tile a basketball. I always tell the gc, "You can't polish a turd, the more you rub it, the worse it stinks". Did you happen to notice when it rained if you had pools of water build up? Also, whether they like it or not, go in with a straight edge and lay it across the walls, especially anywhere that's getting tile. Don't let them tell you will will be ok, because I promise you it won't. It's much easier to get it right now, than after the finishes have started.

Good luck! :)

onesubdrvr
07-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Now is when progress will come to a crawl. Once they are done framing, and the finish trades start, you'll be getting bitter at the lack of progress. I know, because I'm in a finishing trade. It's usually due to ****ty work the previous trades do, warped bent walls, slabs that resemble frozen oceans that they want to lay 18x18 tile on. It's like trying to tile a basketball. I always tell the gc, "You can't polish a turd, the more you rub it, the worse it stinks". Did you happen to notice when it rained if you had pools of water build up? Also, whether they like it or not, go in with a straight edge and lay it across the walls, especially anywhere that's getting tile. Don't let them tell you will will be ok, because I promise you it won't. It's much easier to get it right now, than after the finishes have started.

Good luck! :)
Yeah, I know, I've seen lots of houses built in my neighborhood, they get to this point then seem to stand still, while all the "inside" stuff gets done. When it rained, no puddles, just where the recess for the shower is. I'll be staying on top of them, obviously trying not to piss them off, but, I'll be able to check it everyday atleast, as it's next door. I will be sure to take the level around as soon as they get all the inside wall frames done. You are absolutely right, it's easier to fix now!!!

Thanks for the input and words of encouragement!!
Wayne

Cuda
07-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Go ahead and piss them off early, it's enevitable. I like the recessed shower, then you don't have to worry about shower pan leaks. I don't know why they don't do it more often.

onesubdrvr
08-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Well, update 08/18/05 All exterior framing and walls complete, plywood for roof on and covered with tar paper.

Inside walls all framed out

Upstairs and downstairs tubs in place, most plumbing is complete

Windows have started going in

we're gettin' there, slowly but surely!

Wayne

Ranman
08-18-2005, 04:11 PM
It's incredible to see how much different it is from what I'm doing. Like McGary said, we're used to wood sticks on top of poured basement walls / foundations. The cinder blocks, metal studs, concerte and wood combination is impressive. Does anyone know why the construction method is so different? Is it because of the heat? Hurricanss? Looks like that house could withstand a hurricane. It' looks like it's built like a brick ****house. :). We try to stay away from cinder blocks here, is the house much stronger when built with them?

onesubdrvr
08-18-2005, 04:28 PM
It's incredible to see how much different it is from what I'm doing. Like McGary said, we're used to wood sticks on top of poured basement walls / foundations. The cinder blocks, metal studs, concerte and wood combination is impressive. Does anyone know why the construction method is so different? Is it because of the heat? Hurricanss? Looks like that house could withstand a hurricane. It' looks like it's built like a brick ****house. :). We try to stay away from cinder blocks here, is the house much stronger when built with them?
Randy,

After Hurricane Andrew, local building codes were significantly beefed up!! I do believe that is why all the CBS construction here now. My current house (build the year before Andrew), is wood frame. "modern" age people should have looked at the EARLY structures, some of the old houses in St. Augusting (made of concrete / blocks, and even natural items like coral and sea shells)

Another item is the bugs,.... Termites are a HUGE problem here, and they come in underground. There is even some ravenous boogers that eat concrete like wood!!

The aluminum wall studs are pretty flimsy, no match for 2x4's (IMO), but when the rock is on top of it, you'd never know the difference (until you're looking for a stud to hang a picture or something).

That's all I can think of atleast.

Hope yours is progressing well, and no more violations!!

Wayne

sweet 16 1966
08-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Looking good Wayne!

gcarter
08-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Randy, like Wayne said, Andrew changed everything.
Essentially, there is a solid poured concrete column about every three or four feet. There are rebar that sticks up several feet from the footers, then additional bar is tied to those bars, and then there is an intersection with additional bars set into special block that sit on top of the walls. All these bars are tied together along with sheet metal clips that are tied to the top horizontal bars. These clips are then nailed to the roof trusses. The channels through the stacks of blocks are poured full of concrete, along with the top channel. It ties the roof directly to the footer.
This is why you didn't see the utter devastation in newer homes last year that you saw after Andrew. A newer home won't usually loose its roof like Andrew, where it looked like a war zone with square miles of homes were roofless and all the trees were bent over like the after effects of an atom bomb.

catch 22
08-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Wayne, The house is looking good. I hope the garage is deep enough for a 22 classic or zx. :wink:

onesubdrvr
08-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Wayne, The house is looking good. I hope the garage is deep enough for a 22 classic or zx. :wink:
Well, not quite, not with-out a break away tongue, and even then,....:confused:

BUT,

It is big enough for
An 18, an X-18, a 16, Baby Donzi, F-14, etc. :wink:

And it's plenty big enough to get some skunk works rolling, even if I don't pick up a different boat any time REAL soon,.....hmmmmmm poppa's been VERY BAD!! :hyper: :biggrin.: :wink: :eek!:

Ranman
08-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Veddy veddy eenteresting.

onesubdrvr
09-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Well, most of the windows are in now, all the A/C duct work is done, all electric is run,....then the hole for the pool was dug Friday, and they started framing the form Saturday,..... I remember signing the papers for the pool, now I'm thinking wow, there is a brand new Donzi :( ,..... oh well, I'll enjoy the hot tub alot!! :cool:

Wayne

onesubdrvr
11-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Well, just wanted to post some more pictures,

Pool has been "poured", house is painted, roof is on, stairs roughed out (finally easy to get to 2nd floor),

Anyway, moving at a snails pace!

Wayne

Ranman
11-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Looks good Wayne. Wish they poured me a pool and hot tub out back!

onesubdrvr
01-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Here's some updated pictures

We finally have interior walls, the pool is progressing nicely, the inside as well, all the cabinets are up and nearly finished, next step, tile!!

Hoping to be in by March 1st,.... I think I'll start a pool (no not swimming pool) :biggrin:

I'm thinking of having a little house warming party - margarita's at the Holtzclaw Inn.

Photo's
1 - Living room from fron enterance, on the other side of that opened dividing wall is the dining room.
2 - Master Bath
3 - SAA
4 - Hot Tub,....come here momma!!!
5 - The rest of the pool / deck
6 - Kitchen
7 - bathroom - 1 of these up, and down, and a smaller cabana bath outside
8 - Donzi Parking Only!!
9 - Business end of the pool
10 - different angle of the pool and deck
11 - into Master Bedroom from living room
12 - from Master bedrrom to pool patio
13 - Kids bedroom (4 of these)
14 - Kids playroom / den - wish I had one of these growing up!!
15 - well supported garage door to help against those hurrican winds

Wayne

Chili 18
01-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Looks great Wayne!

I like how the spa is integrated with the pool. Does all the pool heating come from the spa spill off? What happens in the hot of summer when you want the pool 'cooler' but still want a hot whirlpool? Can they be controlled independently?

onesubdrvr
01-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Looks great Wayne!
I like how the spa is integrated with the pool. Does all the pool heating come from the spa spill off? What happens in the hot of summer when you want the pool 'cooler' but still want a hot whirlpool? Can they be controlled independently?
Well, I'm sure I'm gonna have a lesson or two on operating this darned contraption,

BUT, the heater is like a heat pump for your house, you can heat or cool the water

I've got 3 pumps, so not sure which suction supplies which returns / etc. but it looks like I can do it pretty much however I want, I'll let 'cha know. It's got an aqualogic controller, from what I understand, it can be programmed to do just about anything. Automatic chlorinator, multi colored lights / etc.

MAN AM I LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT HOT-TUB, WISH I WAS IN IT RIGHT NOW!!!

Wayne

Chili 18
01-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Very cool. Like the colored lights... :p

MOP
01-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Wayne for you sanity I hope they get it done soon, your mind needs a new center!!! An X Center;)

onesubdrvr
01-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Wayne for you sanity I hope they get it done soon, your mind needs a new center!!! An X Center;)
I'm serious Phil, I got the house going on, the boat, the upcoming baby, driving all over the state for work, trying to get rid of the Rag, etc. etc.

MY GAWD, does it ever stop? :bawling:

OH well, before I know it I'll be planing the deck off resto,......

Wayne

MOP
01-20-2006, 06:34 AM
I'm serious Phil, I got the house going on, the boat, the upcoming baby, driving all over the state for work, trying to get rid of the Rag, etc. etc.
MY GAWD, does it ever stop? :bawling:
OH well, before I know it I'll be planing the deck off resto,......
Wayne

Wayne I say this just about every day! Damn I am gald to be as old as I am! My dad told me that one day I would be happy to say that, he was 100% right and one day you will also!

Phil

boldts
01-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Wayne, the house is looking fantastic. The first home I bought had to have a garage deep enough to get my then 18' Classic in. We bought a bi-level type home with the garage under the second floor so it was as deep as the house was. Worked great! Full trailer and even the drive could stay in an up position. Then, came the 22. No more boat in the garage.

I'm wondering though being a North located person, I understand the extra strength in the building, but, no basement yet you can have pools out back? A pool has to be at least 10' deep isn't it with the plumbing and all? I'm sure our basement is taller than 10', but I'd think any kind of storage area in a home would be worth the extra cost. Especially with a family the size of yours. :yes:

onesubdrvr
01-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Wayne, the house is looking fantastic. The first home I bought had to have a garage deep enough to get my then 18' Classic in. We bought a bi-level type home with the garage under the second floor so it was as deep as the house was. Worked great! Full trailer and even the drive could stay in an up position. Then, came the 22. No more boat in the garage.
I'm wondering though being a North located person, I understand the extra strength in the building, but, no basement yet you can have pools out back? A pool has to be at least 10' deep isn't it with the plumbing and all? I'm sure our basement is taller than 10', but I'd think any kind of storage area in a home would be worth the extra cost. Especially with a family the size of yours. :yes:
The biggest reason why is the extremely high water table, it would be near impossible to keep the water out of the basement, not so much a concern with a pool :wink: . Yes, storage is definately at a premium, but I have attic access in the garage, in the upstairs bedrooms, and in the master bedroom. Plus, it won't take long to fill it up, but there is MUCH more storage in the new house!!

Take care, talk at 'cha soon!
Wayne

onesubdrvr
02-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Wow, we're getting VERY close now,

All tile work is done, all plumbing is done, 95% of the electric is done, Granite counter tops in Kitchen are done, pavers for the driveway have been delivered. All that is really left is the AC work, the carpet, the landscaping, and the driveway, then all the hit list stuff.

So,

Moving party!!
Moving party April 1 starting at 9am :biggrin: :jestera:

We will be serving breakfast burritos (from McDonalds), and perhaps McGriddles for the early birds and hard workers.

Island music will be provide poolside after the main event. Margarittas, Rum Runner, Pina Coladas, and Hurricans will be offered at our happy hour price of $4.50. From 5-6pm specials of hot wings and Mozzarella sticks!

Wayne

Dr. Dan
02-25-2006, 10:30 AM
:beer: Wayne, looks really great, I love Florida designed homes, everything focuses on entertaining and the pool! Ya gotta love it... my oldest brother lives in Longwood/Winter Park area... we are always jealous of the lifestyle... until the Storms come in at least... but hey?

Again looks really great...keep the pics coming...definitely something to be proud of ...

All Our Best

Doc & Liz :spongebob

Cuda
02-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Looking good Wayne. Good call going with white in the kitchen and bathrooms. Today's latest fad colors will be passe in a few years. White never goes out of style.

onesubdrvr
02-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Looking good Wayne. Good call going with white in the kitchen and bathrooms. Today's latest fad colors will be passe in a few years. White never goes out of style.
Thanks Joe,

That's kind 'of what we liked about the house, the Key West / Newport style, white shaker style cabinets, simple yet refined, same with the floors. The bright blue exterior will make me feel like I'm in the keys when I'm poolside drinking rum 'n cokes! And at night, the pool and spa lights change colors!!

Fad colors, YUK, like Avacodo green, that nasty orange, makes me shudder!!

Wayne

onesubdrvr
02-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks everyone, getting closer and closer

Will be plenty of room to entertain as well, the kids have a (approx) 15 X 20' open room upstairs as a play room that will double as their sleeping quarters when we have guests. So we can have people over, entertain downstairs, and the kids can still have fun and be entertained up stairs. Also keeps the toys up stairs and the downstairs looking cleaner!!

I can't wait, I feel like were on-top of each other all the time right now, I tend to like my space from time to time (can't wait for another Porkey's run!)

Thanks again everyone
Wayne

onesubdrvr
04-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Well, finally took over the house from the builder on Friday!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Today, I spent the day hanging a bravo drive and gimble assy. oooops, I meant wood blinds (at least that's what I was thinking about $$ when I was hanging them $$). So I sat by my '04 22' Anniv Classic (the pool), and pondered life for a while,....

Feels nice to be moving in finally.

So much to do,...........so little time,...........

More later!!!
Wayne