PDA

View Full Version : need some expert advice

redneckstateofmind
06-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Hello all , I am as new to the donzi site, as i am to boating. I hope my lack of knowledge isn't a problem, but i need some expert advice.I recently purchased an 1989 sportcraft 19' boat with 3.0 Liter engine. the outdrive is an OMC king cobra. I got the boat cheep ( I Think anyway ) $1.200.00 with galv. trailor.I took it out for the first time with a friend trailing in his boat, just in case. maybe it's my lack of knowledge but the boat seemed slow and slugesh. While running beside my friend at full throttle he advised i was only going about 29 mph. My RPM's at full throttle were at 4100. I just thought that a boat for skiing would go a little faster than that. Does this sound right, have I bought a SNAIL Boat.http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif If this is true, is it possible to replace 3.0Lt 4 cylinder motor with a v8.The Hull is in great shape but interior is crapped out.If anyone has info on a 19' Sportcraft hull please let me know. thanks in advance to all who reply.

MOP
06-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi welcome to the board, I think it is over propped. I would drop it down 2 inches in pitch. You should be turning closer to 4,600, book says 42-46 I know from working on them they like to spin up. What pitch prop is on it, it should be marked on the hub by the prop not. Now that being said even propped right it will not be much faster but will feel better it will come on plane quicker and be more responsive overall.

Phil

redneckstateofmind
06-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi welcome to the board, I think it is over propped. I would drop it down 2 inches in pitch. You should be turning closer to 4,600, book says 42-46 I know from working on them they like to spin up. What pitch prop is on it, it should be marked on the hub by the prop not. Now that being said even propped right it will not be much faster but will feel better it will come on plane quicker and be more responsive overall.

Phil thanks for reply the prop pitch is marked as 15 ,and has a wailtail. should i leave the wailtail or remove?

MOP
06-30-2005, 09:59 AM
The whale tail helps to it get on plane, I would try a 13" prop and try taking the whale tail. You may end up putting the tail back on maybe not, I look at your boat a s a damn good buy just not a fast boat heck you are on the water enjoy!

Phil