PDA

View Full Version : 1988 OK year for 22' classic

zimm17
06-29-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm looking into the 22' 1988 classic for sale on ebay out of Miami. Is that a decent year? I know some of the late 80's Donzi's were known for less quality than other years.

It has a new stock 454, 3 year old interior, and looks really clean.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4558006506&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1#ebayphotohostin g

show me
06-29-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm looking into the 22' 1998 classic for sale on ebay out of Miami. Is that a decent year? I know some of the late 80's Donzi's were known for less quality than other years.

It has a new stock 454, 3 year old interior, and looks really clean.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4558006506&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1#ebayphotohostin g
Is it a Merc and which outdrive? Next does it have the stainless steel wrap around the windshield or is it aluminum? Is the windshield glass?

zimm17
06-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Is it a Merc and which outdrive? Next does it have the stainless steel wrap around the windshield or is it aluminum? Is the windshield glass?

According to the ebay ad, it's a 7.4L 385 merc. Rebuilt this year after blowing up 2 cylinders from a pinhole leak in the heads.

Bravo 1 outdrive.

Looks like aluminum windshield with new plexiglass for the windshield.

MOP
06-30-2005, 08:39 AM
I am reasonably sure that was an OMC boat that the drive package was swapped out should be a very nice running boat, looks like a good boat just don't get caught up in the last minute over bidding frenzy.

Phil

Silver Bullet
06-30-2005, 03:02 PM
I have an 88' 22 Classic (25 Anniv. Edition) and it is great.

donzii22
06-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I have an 88' 22 Classic (Testerosa Edition) and it is great. :biggrin:

RedDog
06-30-2005, 03:15 PM
There shouldn't be any inherent quality issues due to being an '88 - or any other year. However, it is a 17 year old boat so it all depends on the care and attention it has had.

Pismo
06-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Merc did not make a carb 454 magnum in 1998 so something additional is going on. The recent rebuild plus they must have ditched the EFI or who knows.........
Almost $20k for a salty 88 with a questionable engine/drive history....You can do better.

G - FORCE 88
07-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Merc did not make a carb 454 magnum in 1998 so something additional is going on. The recent rebuild plus they must have ditched the EFI or who knows.........
Almost $20k for a salty 88 with a questionable engine/drive history....You can do better.

Before you knock the toes of a fellow board member, think what your saying. And dont start assuming as you dont know Jack!! :idea: AND yes the "salty" 22 did sell.

Pismo
07-01-2005, 06:09 AM
No offense intended. The buyer wants opinions so..........what did I say that is so offensive..................I believe you could buy a newer, untouched, stock, fresh water boat, with an original merc engine and drive (so probably more reliable) for about the same money, rather than one with an above said(not me saying) history of drive swaps and engine failures. On the other side, it looks to be in great shape, an 88 is as good a year as any, and if the work was done well it will be great with a practically new motor but you will never know until you buy it. There is more risk in buying a boat with swapped/non-original engines/drives and this risk is not really worked into the price.

G - FORCE 88
07-01-2005, 07:20 AM
No offense intended. You want opinions so..........what did I say that is so offensive..................I believe you could buy a newer, untouched, stock, fresh water boat, with an original merc engine and drive (so probably more reliable) for about the same money, rather than one with an above said(not me saying) history of drive swaps and engine failures. On the other side, it looks to be in great shape, an 88 is as good a year as any, and if the work was done well it will be great with a practically new motor but you will never know until you buy it. There is more risk in buying a boat with swapped/non-original engines/drives and this risk is not really worked into the price.

Its my personal boat that your talking about.

MOP
07-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Just an opinion! Most all the swaps I have seen including mine have been really good upgrades, my engine alone cost more then my boat. The swap on this boat like I said earlier would be considered by most to be a good one, the salt issue can be argued into the ground. A properly cared for salt boat is still a good boat, many of my clients boats are raw water cooled and quite old,how old some near 20 years old and still going strong! It all boils down to CARE!

Phil

zimm17
07-01-2005, 09:03 AM
I'll welcome myself to the board. I did buy the '88 classic. I pick it up next week. The current owner is on this board too. I'm really looking foward to it. Turns out the engine is a '97 model installed in '98. So the carb was original.

I'm not worried about a salt boat- I plan to run it in salt water too. I think with a flush and good hosing down, it shouldn't matter.

On a sidenote- is a closed loop cooling system a worthwhile upgrade? If so, what should I look into?

txtaz
07-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Just an opinion! Most all the swaps I have seen including mine have been really good upgrades
Phil

Phil,
If he got a swap like mine, he would be sitting pretty. :) :) :)

Hey Zimm, Welcome to the board. I'm not sure if a closed system would help you much if it's already been in salt. Maybe the pros can give better info.

Have fun with the new ride and posts some pics.
Wes