PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser Alpha 260 HP NO START

mphatc
06-28-2005, 06:33 PM
my other boat, the family barge . . :jestera: a Chapparal 2350 which I want to sink and :uzi: :uzi: is suddenly not wanting to start . . ie; it doesn't want to turn over when the key is turned to start, but with numerous twists of the key it suddenly turns over. :yippie: I hear a very slight click . ..

The starter motor is 2 years old, is there any module on this thing that controls this?

Thank you for help!

Mario who obviously doesn't want to work on this thing!

Chili 18
06-28-2005, 07:35 PM
look here:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40644

MOP
06-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Mario get a jumper wire, open the engine box on the front of the left manifold as you face it is the circuit breaker and the starter assist solinoid. Use the jumper to power the black/yellow wire, that will put power direct to the starters own solinoid. If it starts first check all the connections especialy the ground on the assist, if they are all good throw it out. Tip the Ford starter solinoid is the same thing at 1/4 the price of marine, just tell the parts guy you need the one with the ground terminal or bring yours and show him which terminal was grounded. The assist is 90% of NO Start that you discribe.

Phil

A P.S. the 260 has a hot start wire going to the distributor so it will more than likely start up without the key, just pull the jumper and it will die!!

mphatc
06-28-2005, 09:46 PM
Thank you Phil! The diagnosis I was looking for!!

Mario