PDA

View Full Version : Am I too poor to own a magnum?

superhatz
06-28-2005, 05:42 PM
I am thinking about boats again and I have come to the conclusion that I have to have a Donzi or a Magnum.

I have very specific tastes and I've narrowed it down to my 2 favorite all time boats....... a '70's vintage Donzi 18 2+3......or a '70's Magnum 27 sport.

I have the credit and or cash for either.....but I'm wondering if I can afford to own and operate a 27 sport......the single engine Donzi should be no problem......but?

I am a mechanic by trade so I should be able to do most of the labor myself......but are the parts and fuel for a twin engine Magnum going to "kill" me?

Sorry if this is a stupid question....

Thanks,
Aaron

mphatc
06-28-2005, 06:53 PM
A simple budget question . . .

How much boating will you do? How PERFECT or CONCOURS a vintage boat do you want?
An older Donzi is an easy maintenance, but they aren't cheap to rebuild either, and a twin powered Magnum as I see it would be twice the challenge.

Fuel isn't cheap anymore and it never will be again. I'd start my calculations on how much you're willing to spend w/e's or annually on fuel . .

I can say that it sucks big time to have a fancy toy that you can't afford to run. That's why I build BMW race cars and play with boats . .a $35K race car that costs $1000.00 a weekend to run would only sit in the garage 48 weekends of the year, while for the same money I can run my Donzi many more weekends. I have numerous customers with the race car that they can't afford to run . .. .

Mario

olredalert
06-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Well Aaron,

------The fuel is an issue that all of us face now. We individually will all have to make some hard decisions. With that said most of us on this site are pretty hard-core and would rather boat than eat (notice I didnt say drink). The fuel issue that bothers me more than fuel for the boat is fuel for the tow vehicle. Im looking at curtailing my traveling to DONZI meets as a way to cut back but still hit the local H20. Hate to do it but in my case something has to go.
------I have a 24 twin and an 18 single so I can see your arguement all too clearly as to repair costs. If you are after a 27 Mag. buy the best you can find. One that has been updated to Mercs should alleviate some rare parts costs although Volvo drives are known for thier reliability. Pay the price for the best up front. Do a careful, complete survey and practice a bunch of preventive maintanence. I love 27 Mags and cant find it in my heart to tell anyone not to go after one!!!!!!! Hope this helps...........Bill S

superhatz
06-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks Guys,

Hey Mario.....what shop do you run? I own a Porsche repair shop in Minneapolis called Flat Six.......

Bill.....I agree with you about finding a nice boat instead of one that needs work....How hard are parts to find for the old 270 and 280 Volvos.....? Alot of the 27s I see have TRSs......and some huge engine hatch.....do they go hand in hand?........I prefer the look of the stock flat hatch and white Volvo outdrives......I have issues.....

Thanks,
Aaron

Johntrip
06-28-2005, 08:28 PM
I think if your worried about it then it's probably going to stress you out ultimately effecting the level of pleasure you will get out of the boat.

Dr. Dan
06-28-2005, 10:20 PM
I think if your worried about it then it's probably going to stress you out ultimately effecting the level of pleasure you will get out of the boat.

I said the same thing about my second wife! :rlol:

Doc of Segregated Alliances :wavey:

Johntrip
06-28-2005, 10:58 PM
THAT is funny. :)

olredalert
06-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Aaron,

-------A 27 Mag with twin Merc TRSs would have issues as far as I am concerned.... First, you have the transmissions shoving the engines forward. These boats have little enough cockpit and engine compartment room as it is.... Second, if you think a Volvo might be expensive to repair, forget TRSs. Dont get me wrong, I love TRS drives but if and when you do hurt one you will pay for the parts if you can find them. I know a local 27 that has twin 375hp small-blocks and bravos. This combo gives you trim, a good durable drive that you can at least get parts for and isnt near as heavy as a TRS set-up.
-------This particular 27 was completely restored (everything new) 4 years ago and was for sale last year and the year before (for around $60,000, a bit much in mho) but has been taken back off the market now as the owner sold a few other boats and decided to keep it as it was just too much fun. There are others out there though.............Bill S

TuxedoPk
06-29-2005, 12:57 AM
A nice middle ground might be any of the Donzi 24's. To paraphrase what Oredalert's posted in the past, "They are the driest 24's ever built and will run with any 27".

onesubdrvr
06-29-2005, 06:48 AM
A nice middle ground might be any of the Donzi 24's. To paraphrase what Oredalert's posted in the past, "They are the driest 24's ever built and will run with any 27".

Yeah, and they have REAL nice lines!! :biggrin:

Wayne

Mac
06-29-2005, 08:40 AM
How about a 24 Superboat with a single big block? Seems like a good conpromise between the two, while still having single power.

DAULEY
06-29-2005, 09:15 AM
how about a 24 or 27 squadron?

Bigbroadjumper
06-29-2005, 09:47 AM
I have had great luck with my Magnum, it was in very good condition when I bought it. Twin SBC and Volvo 290 drives. In the past 8 years the only thing I have done is replace the exhaust manifold on the port engine. I don't run it real hard and if I fill up (about 90 - 100 gal.) I can use it for 2 - 3 weekends. Much less cost then taking the kids to Great America for the weekend..... and a lot more fun! (no long lines)
The cabin is not very useable, but nice to get out of the sun and to store things you dont want flying out of the boat.

When I sold my 16 foot Donzi I picked up a Magnum 25 Sport but I missed the fun of jumping wake and blasting around the lake. I then bought an 18' 2+3 and I missed the cabin and the ability to stand up and walk around. In my Magnum Maltese I have the best of both worlds. Fast enough to keep you on your toes and big enough to streach your legs.

As for overall costs. Twins are twice as much as a single but sound real nice. If you get a chance to ride in a Magnum I am sure you will like the ride. It is a very heavy boat and the ride is nice.

Craig S
06-29-2005, 10:46 AM
Well Aaron,

The fuel issue that bothers me more than fuel for the boat is fuel for the tow vehicle. Im looking at curtailing my traveling to DONZI meets as a way to cut back but still hit the local H20. Hate to do it but in my case something has to go.

Yea, and also the type of tow vehicle. I am looking at something to tow the Nova and it will probably be something I don't want to drive everyday. Another source of maintenance and parking. But, like Broadjumper says, nothing sounds like a couple V-8s loping!

superhatz
06-29-2005, 11:54 AM
I've thought about a 27 Squadron with a single big block.....but it just doesn't do it for me like the Mag.......not to mention they are even rarer in my opinion.

A 24 Donzi Spitfire would be cool....but also a little hard to find......I'm really set on a 27 Sport though.

Maybe I'll just wait to find the perfect boat and run it as much as I can afford....It would almost be enough just to look at it on the trailer....:)

What is insurance like on old boats like these?

Thanks,
Aaron

Eugene Nahemow
06-29-2005, 07:44 PM
Gasoline has never been an issue for me. I get about the same out of full tanks as bigbroadjumper, which is 3 weekends of cruising. I have had many other boats that gulped more gas than the Magnum.

I have had no problems with my TRS drives. My engines are rated around 400-425hp and they don't strain the drives at all. I have the drives and trannies inspected every year and there has been no wear. The boat comes up on plane instantly. They are probably the only part on the boat that I have not had anything done to.

At the present moment my Magnum is still on the market, although I am expecting to have a deposit on it within the next week.
PM me if you need any further info.

Here are some links to pictures.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31394
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31464