PDA

View Full Version : 97 27 Zx

Last Real Texan
06-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Title says it all I , Iknow it is my first post here but cut me some slack. I am looking into buying a 27 ZX soon and was wondering what kind of stuff and years to look for, I am going to put big power in whatever I buy after I trash the motor it comes with, I am thinking a NA 540-632 depending on a few things....should be in the area of 650-750 horse all said and done. I am aware of beefing up the drive, full hydraulic steereing etc.... what is this boat capable of......?
I am not new to boats I should add .... I currently have an old jet that I have completely restored and have a 502 550 HP ,that runs 82 MPH on motor and touches 89-90 on the bottle. Wife wants a bigger boat.http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/smileybreasts.gif

Lend a hand.......................

The Texan

gold-n-rod
06-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Wife wants a bigger boat.

Have your wife talk some sense into Florida Gator's wife!!!!

She sounds like a smart woman............. and a keeper!

Last Real Texan
06-27-2005, 09:34 PM
At a point in my life where making the wife happy gets me what I want.....

So anyone have a good idea of what this model is capable of?
Bryan

Dr. Dan
06-27-2005, 10:11 PM
:spongebob At the risk of being Vague, Welcome first off! I would suggest you use the Search Key under the Performance Section and do some reading.

What you ask as a person with boating experience ... I am sure you realize that there is no "Canned or Specific Answer".

First Off.... I am not aware of many if any of the Model you describe with that type of Power. I am aware of lesser sized boats going way over those speeds you posted because of the hulls hydrodynamic efficiency, serious HP and Drive and Steering upgrades. But these are more Race than Family...of course all of this could be argued.

I am also aware of a few of the board members here running copious amounts of Ponies and also hitting unheard of speeds, for their respective hulls design.

I would suggest if you are after Speed and in a used Family Boat... that you consider a 28 ZX or a possibly a 26 ZX. Most of these hulls are more friendly for accomadating passengers. Also ... as I am sure you are aware, most of these boats are just not designed to hold up to massive amounts of Torque or Horsepower without serious Hull and Structural and Engineered Performance considerations. The additional stress placed on the stringers and hull become very apparent when your designed hull speed is pushed to its limits...ask me how I know this? :bonk:

If money is less of a consideration, a 33 Daytona or a new 35 ZR is very state of the art.

Again welcome...their are many here to help you in your search...but be patient, ask alot of questions and take your time. Good things come to those who wait and have vision...

Good Luck Bryan.

Doc :beer:

Last Real Texan
06-28-2005, 09:03 AM
I should clear up what I am trying to do here, I am not trying to get this boat past about 80 really. I just want to be able to cruise at about 65 and when get the bug push here on up to the low 80's. I should think the stringers in this boat would handle the type of HP to do this. The speeds I was mentioning before are in a totally different type of boat. I was wondering about bad characteristics of that hull over ceratin speeds etc...chine walking , and handling thing with the twin step. Money is important and if it was not I would buy a daytona cat, putt 800 horse in it and run 115 ...... I cant do this..... insurance. I just thought the 27 ZX would fit the bill very well with what I was trying to accomplish....Any other suggestions on models are welcome

Bryan

Dr. Dan
06-28-2005, 09:17 AM
:smash: Absolutely....the hulls can defintiely handle that....I wasn't sure if ya were trying to create a Aquatic Rocket or what....thanks for clearing that up!

Check the For Sale Section here, also Boat Trader and Ebay and the major Offshore Websites... Speedwake, Offshore, H20 Performance etc. there are a ton of deals available...

Do you have a range of how much ya wanna spend? Cuz that would be a limiting factor...again there are alot of great deals out there... :beer:

A 28ZX Scorpion Edition is already a stock low 80mph Boat, as and FYI.

You may find the right Hull, operate it with the current power and then later do the Power Upgrade after getting seat time in the boat...its also less Toxic Financially...meanwhile ya have a nice new(er) boat to utilize until ya finish your laundry list of upgrades. I did a version of this on my Classic.... now its almost fast....

Good Luck

Doc :spongebob

txtaz
06-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Where in Texas are you located? Also look for the Texas Roundup post at Possum Kingdom. Get a boat and meet us there. Welcome to the board.
Wes

undertaker
06-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Texan, call Frank Civitano at Typhoon Performance Marine in New Jersey he has a 97 or 98 (not sure) ZX with 650-700hp for sale, I saw it last week when I was there to sea trail my new 22 classic. He would also be a great guy to pick his brain on the year and style boat you are looking for. Tell him Ed Schumacher told you to call. Good luck

www.typhoonperformancemarine.com

Underboy :boggled:

The Hedgehog
06-28-2005, 05:28 PM
:smash: Absolutely....the hulls can defintiely handle that....I wasn't sure if ya were trying to create a Aquatic Rocket or what....thanks for clearing that up!

Check the For Sale Section here, also Boat Trader and Ebay and the major Offshore Websites... Speedwake, Offshore, H20 Performance etc. there are a ton of deals available...

Do you have a range of how much ya wanna spend? Cuz that would be a limiting factor...again there are alot of great deals out there... :beer:

A 28ZX Scorpion Edition is already a stock low 80mph Boat, as and FYI.

You may find the right Hull, operate it with the current power and then later do the Power Upgrade after getting seat time in the boat...its also less Toxic Financially...meanwhile ya have a nice new(er) boat to utilize until ya finish your laundry list of upgrades. I did a version of this on my Classic.... now its almost fast....

Good Luck

Doc :spongebob

I am guessing that a 28ZX Scorpion is out of the question since cost is the factor. You will probably spend well over $65k for that. I am thinking that you can pick up a 27ZX for low 30's and freshen the engine up to your hp level for under $10k. That should give you what you a nice heavy single engine wave crushing machine that will run about 75+ for the low $40k range.

As far an the 27ZX Step hull vs non-step, I hope that Frank will speak up. He seems to have a wealth of experience with this boat. I saw a post of his in the past referring to a Pro-charged 27 that ran in the speed range you are mentioning.

I would also be interested in hearing his input since I am considering dropping some big NA horsepower in my 27.

Dr. Dan
06-28-2005, 07:52 PM
:wavey: Franks last Donzi was a Procharged 22ZX, he now drives a 26ZX with a 496HO. Lil Griz had or has a 22ZX with a Whipple.

I agree with Louis Boat Dude.... as I said before there are alot of deals out there...especially in the larger older Donzis.

Some have really been finished off nicley...

Doc :smash:

The Hedgehog
06-29-2005, 06:56 AM
Griz, I tried a 25pitch Hydromotive 4 Blade from my friends Velocity. No matter how I trimmed the rear end of the boat was lifting. Not good with a stepped hull.
Guys before you go out of your mind I tested every prop that was made, The 4 blade Bravo or a good copy of the Bravo is the only prop that works good with a stepped hull boat. We just put a 28 pitch on my Brother in laws 27ZX 502/580hp Procharged and got 77mph out of her not bad, But the boat didn,t like the top end! She ran just like Damn Donzi her rear was all over the place. I told him put the 26 pitch back on and live with the 75mph she handled a lot better. I had my boat out today and in the 80% temp full tank and water 4 people 66mph on mine. To get over 70 in a 26ZX you need more H/P. My brother in laws boat is perfect proof. Before the procharger 502/415hp the boat ran 63mph after 75mph. 12mph more, The saying is for every 10mph you need 100hp more.

The 27 stepped hull stock ran 63. That should be about right since my non-step with a tired 502 mag engine will GPS just under 60. I figure that with about 650 hp it should cruise pretty well. On the step hull boat it sounds like that kind of hp will take some driving skill. Maybe with some tab input and hydraulic steering it could settle out.