PDA

View Full Version : POKER Run (Victoria), was a BLAST !!!

Lenny
06-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Had a great day. Met up with Mike M about 8am in the water. We had about 40 boats. Myself and another fella had the two smallest, then MikeM with his 22, then the rest were much larger.

Poker Run start was a blast, BUT, what a disaster being left behind in THAT SLOP that never ends. We were in the middle of a tide change, there was nothing but standing walls of water moving in all directions. Very rough start. Going through some of the passes after these boats had gone through, and the tide change, and the current, ... well, that was fun :D. (Deneen didn't think so :( ) On the map, there are about another 250 Islands not shown along the route just they are insignificant. Makes for a lot of weaving as opposed to the "straight lines" .

Anyways, first card stop was fine, second was a blast BUT :eek: , the spot where I marked "big water" was just GROSS for the little boat. It was all coming at our quarters, it was about the length of our boat between tops and it was probably 4' or more. We were thrown EVERYWHERE and landing as best we could. I would have taken a pic or two but I was more concerned with our SURVIVAL and keeping the bow from stuffing. It would have been impossible to turn around in this stuff. It was forward only. :eek: and enough airtime to last a while.
Then we got to the lunch stop. That was a bit of a relief. :yes: Interesting enough, I was sooo curious as to how much fuel I burned so far as the guage doesn't work properly and it was running about 4000 rpm most of the way. So, after lunch it was off to the fuel dock a few hundred yards away. We managed to squeeze in 18 IMP gallons. ( 82 litres) so suffice to say, we burned about a half tank in the 18. I thought that was pretty good. Mind you that is also about $85.00 here :rolleyes:
So, off we go for the run down South to stop #3, Ganges Harbour. The run South to here was beautiful. I hook up with MikeM and we run side by side for about 1/2 hour. Perfect following sea, and timed so perfectly in interval. that you would launch from the top of one and land on the top of the next and it has a "hop-hop" thing for miles and miles. :D Running at about 50, jumping these waves, sunny beyond sunny, wind in your face, a diamond sea all around for scenery, it was beautiful.
To break this silence, I must ad, between the two of us (lots of room) from NOWHERE, comes the twin OB (300 MERC x 2) Spectre 30 running 100+. It was like we turned the ignition off. That was a bit "dissappointing" . "... note to self, GET WAAAYYY MORE HORSEPOWER... "
At the card stop, we hang for a bit and Mike and I leave before the rest, one to beat the slop, and two, when a few of the boats can double our speed it just "felt" better when we got there first :D . That took us to Saturna Island. Same deal, get a card etc etc. Then we all ran together to Poets Cove. (South Pender Island) that was a blast as well. Then on to our start location to finish.

We logged over 100 miles on the GPS which was a long way in this little thing and flying the hull 50% of the time. Deneen was destroyed and near the end, (Poets Cove) I remember her saying, "OK, I am done " :( :D :D :D She was beaten pretty good.

I have few pictures so far as there was NO WAY to take them and drive and stay upright. It was a three hands thing most all the way.

But, Deneen got this pic. This me on deck, Mike M in the 'Hawk doing the Vessel Assist duty. :rolleyes:

It would seem as tho, about 1000' from the gas dock/boat launch site the boat just quit while running about 4000. I couldn't belive it. Deneen said, after all that what are the chances of breaking down here? Talk about lucky. I looked at the Demon, and the "S" secondary bowl was still in the sight line, and... well there was nothing in the "P", primary. I matted the throttle and tried to fire it and sure enough it fired, accessing the secondary bowls. So this is Mike taking me to the gas dock. I squeezed in five bucks and away she went. Then we pulled our boats out. I can't figure out what happened yet, as I went through over twice as much gas from our lunch stop, (Dinghy Dock Pub) as I did getting there. I realize it was more than half the distance the second part, but this much? I also ran a LOT faster the second part of the run as I was relieved to still be alive from the end of the first half in that water up there. I might not have been "full" at the gas dock in Nanaimo when I filled up either, but it went out the vent hole and clicked off a couple times. Who knows, but I do know I can go a certain distance now.

The dinner and dance afterwards was GREAT. All the food was very tasty. Not a bad dish to be had. Talk about a sun-burn/windburn. Sunday morn, ( we stayed at a Hotel in Sidney Sat night, we could hardly move in the morning. Deneen spent Sunday in bed, moaning, (from back pain :D ) and windburn and sunburn. I drank beer instead and thought about 500 HP 22 footers. :yes:

That was a blast and can't wait for the next.

:D
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12850
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12794
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12797

txtaz
06-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey Lenny, Sounds like you guys had a great time. Wish we could have been there. Looking at the map, I just realized I have stayed at Sydney before. Great scenery.

Boy Mike was flying in that pic.

Did you get any salsa???? LOL :kaioken:

Wes
PS, Post more pics please

Lenny
06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
...more...

thriller
06-27-2005, 09:37 PM
:biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

EricG
06-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Great write-up Len! Now I really, really wish I could have made the run. Although parts of it sound very similar to our adventure in the fun run last year...we left wanting 10 feet and 200 horses. But it still looks like you carried the classic flag well.

I'm assuming the Spectre that passed you was Caleb (Timewarp on NWOffshore)? His is an AWESOME boat... and he's a great guy. He made sure I felt at home with all of the BIG boys last year at the fun run.

Can you run over there sanely in an 18 from the mainland? It looks like a great place to explore.

EG

Lenny
06-28-2005, 12:23 AM
ERIC, easily, no problem... Drive to Anacortes, launch there, 30 minutes later, you are here. Basically, all protected waters.

I chatted with him briefly, probably whom you say,...but, MAN, did that thing sing :eek: I saw a vertical coming into Nanaimo Harbour, port pitch and hard slap. I figured everyone on board needed diapers after that. I lost track of that thought as I was needing diapers too coming into there with 12 less feet. :(

That was the BEST run I have ever been on. , that was the best. :yes:

The big boys sure do "FLY" when beside me...

I now have 375 photos, all poster material thanks to "SOUTH ISLAND" (Brad Peden 22 ZX ) and I will pic a few thant support the event and the day. It was a BLAST !!!

yeller
06-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Sounds like it was a blast! Makes me want to upgrade even more now!

You coming to Vanc. for the poker run in August. I'm going to put in the water just to watch the boats go by. No way am I going to try and run it. 60mph in a 16' just isn't enough :tongue: .
BTW: saw your (old) X18 molds for sale in the autotrader...no price though.