PDA

View Full Version : Update & Question - X Dim & Motor Mount - Ford / Volvo

AGUESS
06-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Hi everyone,

My last post on this topic was back on May 2. Yes I know I am slow.

If you recall my problem was that my motor (ford 351) set about 4 inches higher than the shaft from the volvo sx drive.

I found out I had the wrong motor mounts (old mercruiser style), so I purchased and just received the correct Volvo mounts. MY SX Drive is a 98, so a lot of the parts are either OMC or Volvo (companies merged?).

Ok, so now the engine sits about 1 1/2 inch higher than the center of the drive shaft, so I am thinking about cutting the stringers to lower the engine.

Here are some measurements for your help & comments.

FYI this is a 1966 Classic 18 with a deep V hull. Someone said the V on the early 18 is different from the current 18.

1. Looking at the back of the boat, there is 1 3/4 inch from the bottom of the V to where the cavitation plate on the SX drive lines up with the transom. This is about the center of the drain hole.

2. Looking from inside the engine compartment. There is 11 1/2 inch from the bottom of the drain hole (bottom of inside of boat) to the center of the drive shaft. On the outside of the boat there is 1 1/2 inch from bottom of V to the bottom of the drain plug, so this looks like a total of 13 inch from the bottom of the V to the center of the shaft.

3. My stringers are 7 1/2 inch high measured from the outside of the stringer.

4. I have aprox 5 inch from the bottom of the oil pan to the bottom of the inside of the boat bottom, before I cut anything.

Questions.

1. Do any of you see any problem with cutting about 2 inch out of the top of the stringer, just a little longer than the foot of the motor mount?

2. Will only having about 3 inch clearance on the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the oil pan create any problems?

3. While I think my X dimension is ok now, if I am wrong and the drive is too low, what will this do to the performance of the boat?

4. I understand that the transom should only be 2 inch thick. I have checked and mine is 2 1/2 inch thick. Everything on the transom shield has bolted up (not much if any excess thred showing), but I am wondering if I should remove the inside of the transom shield and route out 1/2 inch, reglass & put back together?

Thank you.

Alex Guess

gcarter
06-26-2005, 06:12 PM
having not had the opportunity to work on a Volvo, when you say the center of the crank is 1 1/2" high, is this measured at the front of the engine?
Doesn't the rear mount similar to a Mercruiser?
If so, I would be looking for some other way to mount the front of the engine, like an off-shore mount. which bolts to angles mounted to the inside of the stringers.
Just an idea.

MOP
06-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Sounds like your cut out was made a little low so the drive will be deeper then it needs to be, being deeper it will have more drag will cost you on speed & economy and in some instances increased porpousing due the added leverage of the drive. I would entertain re cutting the transom atleast 1-1/2" higher X to to hit stock range of 14-1/2+, maybe just a tad more to get a little more speed.

Phil