PDA

View Full Version : Damn sandbars!!

florida gator
06-26-2005, 10:22 AM
After what seemed like a perfect day, I ran into a sandbar at low tide on my way back to Ft Desoto. Had to call in Sea Tow. The sandbar was so big, he couldn't get very close so I had to wade to him. The tide was ripping through the pass pretty strong. It got a little scary. At least it happened after the day was complete.

We did manage to get to Gators, Philthy Phils (where a guy in a Scarab Sport came in too fast and rear ended me), Undertow, Shell Island and Billys Stonecrab.

Cuda
06-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Let me guess. Just south of Bunce's Pass.

florida gator
06-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Let me guess. Just south of Bunce's Pass.

North. After I was pulled off he had to go pull a guy off the south side. At least my boat was still upright. The one on the south side was leaning.

Fish boy
06-26-2005, 07:49 PM
was this today or yesterday?? We were out at shell almost all day today, in fact, nate is still there with a little hottie that kept trying take his clothes off. Not sure if the body shots helped or hurt, but I am guessing he ain't leaving anytime soon. :wink:

I called ya a couple of times today, but all I got was VM. Are you still in the area???

florida gator
06-26-2005, 07:58 PM
I was just down for the day yesterday. Almost stayed overnight. We got hung up after dinner on our way back to the ramp. Got your messages in between cleaning the boat and cutting the grass. I will pobably be back down again in a few weeks. I will stay longer next time.

Fish boy
06-26-2005, 08:20 PM
After what seemed like a perfect day, I ran into a sandbar at low tide on my way back to Ft Desoto. Had to call in Sea Tow. The sandbar was so big, he couldn't get very close so I had to wade to him. The tide was ripping through the pass pretty strong. It got a little scary. At least it happened after the day was complete.

We did manage to get to Gators, Philthy Phils (where a guy in a Scarab Sport came in too fast and rear ended me), Undertow, Shell Island and Billys Stonecrab.

Now that I think about it, I bet I would hit a sandbar or two after a day of shell, phils, gators and the undertow. :eek!: :biggrin:

florida gator
06-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Undertow was great :smileybo: :smileybo: :smileybo:

florida gator
06-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Now that I think about it, I bet I would hit a sandbar or two after a day of shell, phils, gators and the undertow. :eek!: :biggrin:

I went back the same way I came out. Sea Tow Capt said with the extremely low tide they had, I probably ran right over it and didn't notice on the way out.

Cuda
06-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Bunces Pass is the trickiest inlet I've been through. It doesn't run straight out, and over the years it will move some. When I first started boating here (when Moby Dick was a minnow), they use to maintain that channel, and it was well marked. In the late afternoon with the sun low, it's a real bitch to find the channel if the water is churned up at all.

TuxedoPk
06-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Q. Why is it that we love to have guages up the ying yang on our boats but its rare you see someone (other than on a fishing boat) install a depth sounder? I wouldn't feel completely comfortable on a blow boat without one and I'm rethinking installing one on the GT.

Cuda
06-28-2005, 12:08 AM
Q. Why is it that we love to have guages up the ying yang on our boats but its rare you see someone (other than on a fishing boat) install a depth sounder? I wouldn't feel completely comfortable on a blow boat without one and I'm rethinking installing one on the GT.
It's because like I always say, the depth finder is only good to comfirm that you are hard aground. In that channel, you can go from about 14 feet to six inches in about ten feet. A depth finder won't help you.

florida gator
06-29-2005, 06:14 PM
It's because like I always say, the depth finder is only good to comfirm that you are hard aground. In that channel, you can go from about 14 feet to six inches in about ten feet. A depth finder won't help you.

Depth finder was on. It confirmed I was in 1.7' in no time. BTW I stopped drinking in the afternoon since I knew we I had to drive all the way home after dinner.