PDA

View Full Version : OH GOODY!!!! new PROP!!!!

Moody Blu'
06-25-2005, 01:16 PM
well fellas, i have to say tuckerton propellor in tuckerton is A1 in my book, it took george and laura a week to repitch, cup balance and rehub my prop. they are very friendly and george knows his props. it was repitched to 24 1/2 and has a medium cup and he put some bow lift in it.

I just got it back and cant wait to try it out, i will posts my results.

if any of you need prop work done you may want to try him he is very cheap and is one of the only prop shops that is certified from michigan propellors, they were under survellance from viking yachts for a year and after that they got certified for michiganl. they supposedly have one of three machines in the u.s. that does somethng, im not sure, but theres is the only one thats certified from michigan.

there number is 609-296-4122 tell them broque sent ya!!

http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/583DSCF0103-med.JPG

mattyboy
06-25-2005, 01:40 PM
cool shadow puppets I know don't tell me it's a duck :rlol:

well stop taking pics the suns out get it on the boat and see how it runs ;)

Moody Blu'
06-25-2005, 05:53 PM
cool shadow puppets I know don't tell me it's a duck :rlol:

well stop taking pics the suns out get it on the boat and see how it runs ;)
actually its a cat smokin a pipe :biggrin:

back to reality, I am going to be putting together a volvo nose cone modification HOW-TO, i took a bunch of pics but heres the end result.

NOW, i just put my full interior in and did the cone mod. ITS TIME TO DUNK HER IN REAL FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7pm here........

http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/583DSCF0116-med.JPG

http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/583DSCF0117-med.JPG

BillG
06-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Moody,
Is that a Johnson prop? I have been looking for a place to rehub one.
If you don't mind what was the cost to redo it.

Bill G

harbormaster
06-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Lookin good. Now with that nice cool prop you need to strip and repaint that nasty lookin outdrive. :biggrin.:

Moody Blu'
06-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Ok, i ran it all weekend. i didnt gps it and my speedo is never right. im hitting about 53mph at 4400-4500 rpms before i had work done to the prop to true it i was hitting 4800 at 53mph that was on gps. I have to get my gps and see what im doin.

first time i went out was at 7 pm on saturday after doing the cone hub tap mod and installing the interior. into the wind it was really fast, when i started going with the wind in 3-4 ft waves the boat was skippin non top of the waves. I couldnt look at the speedo because i was concentrating on driving it at WOT but it was definately faster.

second time was the real test, 3 passengers and me. planed right away no problem. my motor has So much torque. 4300 to 4400 with the passengers and rode very smooth in and out of the wind. So now im right where i want to be. I am going to try and tweak the carb to get some more rpms out of it its not popping anywhere in the rpm range so i wil squeeze some power out of it.my next step is sending my spare set of heads out to be worked.

I have q question for the prop gurus out there. Im thinking about cutting the prop down to bring up the rpms as everyone knows the elephant ear props are monstrous. will this help me in the rpm and speed department? or should i keep the prop size and tweak it to get the prop to spin higher rpms?

bill its a volvo elephant ear prop

Richard McCoy
06-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Nice Prop. Now protect it by installing a unpainted zinc hub nut and paint the outdrive with two coats of zinc phosphate primer to prevent the lost of your outdrive to salt water damage. Remove the screws lube them to prevent the lost of threads. Is that a S.S or bronze Prop. If it is bronze you really need that Zinc.

Moody Blu'
06-27-2005, 10:56 PM
thanks rich ill try that out.

I was wondering about sqeezing power out of the boat. I dont run a thermostat and the boat is usually running around 100-110 degrees with the new headers, it use to run at 120-130 with the log manifolds. So i was thinking, would putting in a thermostat possibly give me more power out of the boat?

Craig
06-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Broque,

Took your advice (in other thread) and called George at Tuckerton Props. Seems like a real nice (and knowledgeable) guy.

Boxed up my ole' Michigan prop (that needs re-hubbed) and sent her off to NJ for repairs.

Figured I'd lower my pitch 1" while I was at it to get my RPM's up a little. Said he'd do those 2 items and address a cupping issue as well for "around" $100.00 (alum. prop.). Should take about a week.

Thanks for the lead.

Craig