PDA

View Full Version : Wake boards, props and 16 footers...

Craig
06-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Here's a question for you prop experts. I think I've already got the answer, but wanted some professional, experiential, input.

The problem: We have been doing some wakeboarding with the 16 and, due to the nature of the whole configuration (deep V, etc.) it seems there is a constant throttle struggle to hold speeds that are good for wakeboarding (18 22 mph on my speedo seems nice). The boat wants to plane off OR settle down at those speeds.

My prop is a cupped 14x23. It seems logical to me that an extremely low pitch prop (like a 14x19"); one lower than you would normally want for an all around prop, would be able to hold the boat steady at those speeds.

I know the thought is nothing new (the standard speed prop and ski prop idea). I also know the RPM's would go way up and top end would be low, but my kids (and myself) are wanting to do a lot more wakeboarding and I was just wondering if anyone has experience in this area.

Would the need for constant throttle adjustments be reduced or eliminated with some creative propping?

What about even bigger diameter like 15" ???

Thanks again to all you prop doctors.

tmdog
06-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Right. You have the answer. Lower pitch will increase rpm but also maintain speed which is your goal.

mattyboy
06-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Craig,

i use a 14.5 x 21 for skiing on the 16 it jumps on plane and with the tabs i can pull the nose down and stay on plane at low rpms and it throws a decent size wake for boarding a little longer rope does nicely for skiing and the kids love tubing off it too, I assume you said a 15 inch prop so we are talking Volvo here try it in the first hole too

MOP
06-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Been there with a 15X17" mid 2's engine loafing bow up and a big roller!

Tony
06-25-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm with Matty, no surprise since our boats are like production line sisters. I pull my son with a 14 x 21, nice power out of the hole and easier to maintain a wakeboard speed. Good for a load of people in the boat, no spinning out and 45 - 50 mph is fast enough for most pleasure riders.

For performance I slap on the 14 x 24 Ultra, cupped to 25"... 60 mph at 5400 rpm's. I could probably spin a 26, but would worry about hole shot slippage and even the handling of my outdrive/steering system at speeds over 60.

Craig
06-30-2005, 11:42 AM
Whoa! Here's even some 16" dia. props for the ole' Volvo's!

Wonder when clearance becomes an issue? I guess if they make 'em, they must fit.

Guess you could pull a barge with these.