PDA

View Full Version : Prop Hub Slipped?

Craig
06-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Hi guys. Haven't checked in for a while (I've been boating).

BUT - last night I was buzzing along and suddenly the RPM's went up and the MPH's went down!

Pulled back throttle quick enough, but had to get towed home.

Pulled her out and the prop on my 280 Volvo had apparently spun on the hub.

The hub, instead of being flush with the prop is sticking out maybe 1/2 inch.

Took it off and, at the face where it meets the drive, there was a thin little piece of the black rubber torn off and the large aluminum ring that used to be part of the prop hub was loose.

SO what's happened and what needs done? I assume, as stated above, the prop just spun on the hub and slipped forward due being underway. Can they be re-hubbed? It's a 14x23 Michigan Wheel aluminum prop.

Maybe it's time for one of those cool Solas props Randy tried out a while back. As much as I'd like one, I kind of hope not. I'd just as soon get the old one fixed if possible.

Appreciate any help.

marcdups
06-25-2005, 10:54 AM
any prop shop should be able to re hub the prop for ya !!

Moody Blu'
06-25-2005, 12:58 PM
yea happened to me two seasons ago, luckily i got back on idle. every tiem i would try to plan it would slip!

if your gonna send it out let me know, there is a shop in tuckerton that will do it for like 50-70 bux

i just got my prop back in a week and it was rehubbed repitched balanced and cupped. 1 week!! and there the only certified dealer for michigan propellors, they were under survellance from viking yachts and after a year they were approved. supposedly they have some special machine and only 3 exsist but theres is the only certified one for michigan props.

hes good and cheap the job i had done to my prop cost me 155 bux!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig
06-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks to all.

Moody - Do you have a phone # (or other contact info.) for your prop shop? I might consider that. Our closest shop did some work for me once that I wasn't pleased with.

Next question. You mentioned repitching. I've heard you can only go so far (like an inch or two up or down). My 23" cupped actually only allows my 351 Ford to turn about 4200-4400 whereas it should (I think) have a WOT rpm of 4600 to 4800.

I would consider getting that done too, if it may help with performance.

Thanks again!