PDA

View Full Version : Redline gear oil

Tony
06-24-2005, 04:13 PM
The Redline HD Shockproof gear oil I've been using in my old Volvo AQ 200b is awesome. I just drained it today (after 2 years) and it looks EXACTLY like the new batch I'm putting in.

Question...since I'm not geared up like others and don't have a pump system, can I refill at the top of the outdrive, thru the dipstick hole? Is the only disadvantage the air lock/slowness of this method?

joseph m. hahnl
06-24-2005, 09:34 PM
The Redline HD Shockproof gear oil I've been using in my old Volvo AQ 200b is awesome. I just drained it today (after 2 years) and it looks EXACTLY like the new batch I'm putting in.

Question...since I'm not geared up like others and don't have a pump system, can I refill at the top of the outdrive, thru the dipstick hole? Is the only disadvantage the air lock/slowness of this method?

the mercruisers have a drain plug at the bottom and a breather at the top they sell a pump for $13.00 it screws on to the bottle and the hose on it screws into the bottom drain hole. you then pump it in until oil comes out the top hole. put the screw back in on top and then take the hose off the bottom and put that screw back in.
joe

penbroke
06-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Tony: The pumps are cheap and I believe they work on Volvos as well. If you fill it from the top it will take forever unless you take the top cap off the drive.

If it really is a 200 and not a 250 you should have the fill/dipstick on the back of the drive. If so, tilt it up and pour it in.

Frank

Tony
06-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Frank, it's definitely an AQ200b, with the dipstick on top like in the picture. For the next time I will buy a pump kit, presuming I can find one to match up to my drain hole threads. For now I guess the gravity method will have to suffice.

penbroke
06-24-2005, 10:48 PM
My 200b has a fill/dipstick on the back of the drive just below the cover for the shift linkage. It's about a one inch hole I can just pour the oil in. It's so easy to deal with! I thought all 200s had this. I can't really tell from your photos but yours looks the same from what I can see. I don't have any photos on this laptop but I'll dig one up for ya tomorrow.

Frank

MOP
06-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Would be a good idea to run it on the hose and re-check when done.

BUIZILLA
06-25-2005, 07:33 AM
Use the Merc pump, fill from the bottom ONLY. If you do it from the top, you'll get an air pocket that won't go away....

JH

BillG
06-25-2005, 08:51 AM
You can fill from the top. Remove the dip stick, and the right front top cover bolt. This bolt has an o-ring under it, and you can fill thru this hole.
Faster way is to remove the allen head plug just below the shift cover, tilt the drive and get as much in as you can and then finish from the top.
This has worked for me for 33 years.
Bill G

Tony
06-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks BillG, that is what I was looking for. Phil, I will for sure run it on the hose and double check the level. My brochure says 2.2 quarts.

Penbroke, my outdrive came with an "Eaton Interceptor 200" manual, probably just prior to Volvo re-tagging them. It is basically a Volvo AQ200b, and the serial number is also a Volvo number...PZNRB211636.

penbroke
06-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Tony: In this thread (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1090) there are some photos of the fill/dipstick on the back of my 200 drive. I can't tell for sure in the photos but yours looks the same??

Frank

Tony
06-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Frank, that is a great thread...it explains it all. Apparently you have a "one-off" Volvo AQ200, with the dipstick in the lower hole. Mine is in the upper. In your referenced post I described some of the Volvo literature I have...let me know if you would like copies of any of it.

penbroke
06-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks Tony. You've got mail...

Frank