PDA

View Full Version : Water pump

Yellowdonzi67
06-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Im getting ready to put a new water pump on my 67 16'er, and i had two questions maybe somebody could help me out with

1) how hard is it to convert from a pulley driven pump to a crank driven one?

and
2)Where could i get a replacement for the stock one without having to do any major retrofitting? (i.e. local marina, internet, machine shop...etc.etc)

I am trying to do this myself to save a bundle, and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

BRIAN73
06-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Yellow Donzi,

I don't know how much help I can be, but I can tell you what I've done.

I'm guessing that you have a ford motor??
In any case, I ran a crank driven jabsco set up on my small block 350, unless you machine the accessorie pulley to accept a bronze bushing, the pulley and flange of the pump will have alot of run out and vibrate.

I also ran a cam driven water pump on a 350 chevy. Had a very strange timming cover that would never seal properly, but it was a very good setup accept for hoses and tee's going everywhere.

I know run a standard merc raw water pump and besides the machine work for brackets and fit, it works great.

I'm not sure if the flange on your current pump will easily mate up to a pulley on the dampner

You can get a crank driven water pump and bracket from Lighthouse marine in NY for about $150.00

I hope this helps alittle.

Brian

Yellowdonzi67
06-24-2005, 04:38 PM
i guess it would have helped to state it is a 302 Ford. we bought a crank driven pump last year for like 150 but it will be impossible to get it on there without pulling the motor.

After looking at it closely the only alternative for us to get it done is to get another pulley driven pump for a 302 ford. If anybody here knows where one can be obtained (or even how we can do the crank driven one) any input would be much appreciated.

penbroke
06-24-2005, 09:49 PM
You may find this (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36550&highlight=ford+water+pump) helpful.

Frank