PDA

View Full Version : I have an engine stand question...

Lenny
06-22-2005, 02:57 PM
I bought a GOOD (commercial quality) stand and a GOOD hoist from Acklands Grainger. I have never had these things before.

So after I put the stand together, and primarily all hardened 1/2" x whatever bolts, flat washers and lockwashers etc, I can't help but notice that the "motor" is going to hang from what looks like 5/16 or 3/8" bolts :eek: I have a 1350 pound load rating on the stand (big block :wink: ) but I have a hard time believing I am going to "hang" the block and all its' weight from 4 points of contact and these "little" bolts.

Am I missing something?

Rootsy
06-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Nope you are correct... it might be overkill but i use a hardened washer and grade 5 hardware minimal, generally grade 8 just cause that is what i have on the stand... to hang an engine.. lot cheaper than the engine falling on the ground... for the "most" part the bottom two bolts are in some shear and the top two are primarily in tension... you'll have no worries with the bolt strength at all... i do recommend lubricating the bolt threads with some grease or better yet an ARP moly lube or never-sieze compound... make sure you have at least 1.5 thread diameters of engagement for that comfy feeling that the threads aren't gonna pull on you should some fluke occur...

no biggie... you are perfectly safe... and yes when the engine weight is transferred to the stand the front of the engine will sag... that's why that upright is put on an angle ;)

JR

Lenny
06-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanx :)

MOP
06-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Lenny my stand is about 30 years old, I have had some real heavy stuff on it some that I notched a 4X4 to put between the engine balancer and the front leg of the stand when I rolled it around, the bobbing will give you the frights. If I were to buy one today I would go with a 4 wheeler, this old 3 wheeler has given me a heart attack or 10 when it has tried to dump an engine rolling it from one shop to another or over off camber stuff. Thankfully I did not dump any!

Phil