PDA

View Full Version : Skeeters!!!

harbormaster
06-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Mosquitos...

Though they are the scourge of the Gulf Coast I know we don't hold a monopoly on them. One carried off the neighbors dog the other day. Last week one landed at the local airfield near here and they refueled it before they realized what it was.....

Here are some tips for repelling the little buggers.

Feel free to add some of your own proven tips...

It's about that time folks--

so thought I'd send out this reminder!!!
OK, mosquitoes...

prepare to be repelled!!!!!

Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets...Best thing ever used in Louisiana..just wipe on & go...Great for Babies!

Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day April through October . He said it works. He was right. Hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try it. Everyone he has talked into trying it says it works on them. Vitamin B-1( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.)

If you eat bananas, the mosquitoes like you, - something about the banana oil as your body processes it. Stop eating bananas for the summer and the mosquitoes will be much less interested.

This is going to floor you, but one of the best insect repellents someone found (who is in the woods every day), is Vick's Vaporub.

Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off a smell that bugs do not like, so plant some in that garden also to help ward off bugs without using insecticides.

"Tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time "camping out" say that the very best mosquito repellant you can use is Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about half and half with alcohol.

One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered is made from the clear real vanilla. This is the pure Vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It works great for mosquitoes and ticks, don't know about other insects.

goatee
06-22-2005, 11:55 PM
wear light colored clothes! black or dark clothes will attract them.

not same subject but,,, any garlic in your dogs food twice a week will keep the fleas away. even just some garlic powder sprinkled over thier food.

txtaz
06-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Deep woods off...Thats all we use when we walk and go hunting. Never had a problem even on the coast.
Wes

joel3078
06-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Deep woods off...Thats all we use when we walk and go hunting. Never had a problem even on the coast.
Wes

Yep the Deep woods off has DEET in it. This is the active ingredient and also works for wood ticks, chiggers, flies, ants, etc. Get the highest percent of DEET you can find. Look at the label on the back as it will show the percent. Anything over 80% works well. The Deep woods stuff is 99-100%. By the way, the stuff melts plastic bags and makes your vinyl feel tacky so be carful with it on the boat seats. No idea what DEET does to your blood stream. Figure the cocktails/beers should offset the damage.
:beer:
Mosquito is our new Minnesota state bird. Remember we have 10,000 lakes and lots of woods and wetlands so the little bastards are everywere.

2biguns
06-23-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm afraid I've got to call "BS" on the Bounce. Last year I tried tucking a Bounce sheet inside of Stella's diaper so we could sit outside by the pool. I looked over and three mosquitos were sitting on top of the Bounce sheet getting ready to copulate.

Skin so soft is supposed to be great.

McGary911
06-23-2005, 02:07 PM
I hope the skin so soft thing works on mosquitos, because i've seen it fail miserably with flies. I used to be a beach patrol in mantoloking, NJ. When a west wind kicked up, all the flies would blow out of the dune grass to the shoreline. I warned a girl i know, and she said not to worry, she had her skin so soft. within 10 minutes, she started flailing her arms around her head, folded up her chair and was coming back up the steps....so many flies sitting on her, it looked like a newsreel from Ethiopia.....flies - 1 , skin so soft - 0.