PDA

View Full Version : Wellcraft Scarab Sprint

onesubdrvr
06-21-2005, 08:47 PM
What can anyone tell me about these sexy little 18' 3" boats? I ran across one the other day in good shape, but small (4 cyl) power, definately a me and momma boat only (small small interior),...anyways, has anyone had one of these, or been in one that can give me their take on it?

Thanks
Wayne

Attached some pictures, for the price, I am considering snagging this up!!

Input would be nice though

Holman-Moody
07-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Hello Wayne:

I owned one of these boats. The early (1993 and 1994) models had the GM 4cyl unit...not what you expect from a Scarab, for sure. If you can get it at a good price...do what I did..repower w. a 4.3L Vortex V-6. It should be good for around 60mph w the 4 barrel setup. The boat will need trim tabs with this setup because the cockpit is already rear-biased and the bigger motor exagerates the problem. Without tabs, I could not get my boat on plane with 4 people on board and engine at full throttle!

Good Luck!

onesubdrvr
07-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Hello Wayne:

I owned one of these boats. The early (1993 and 1994) models had the GM 4cyl unit...not what you expect from a Scarab, for sure. If you can get it at a good price...do what I did..repower w. a 4.3L Vortex V-6. It should be good for around 60mph w the 4 barrel setup. The boat will need trim tabs with this setup because the cockpit is already rear-biased and the bigger motor exagerates the problem. Without tabs, I could not get my boat on plane with 4 people on board and engine at full throttle!

Good Luck!
Thanks for the input!!

Wayne

Cuda
07-24-2005, 09:56 PM
I saw one for sale on the side of the road in Astor a few months ago. I can't remember if it was an outboard or not. I have the picture somewhere.

picklefish
07-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Looking at something like that small Scarab just reminds me how sweet the Donzis really are. Just like old bmws, even the ones that are completely trashed are still treasure while all the cars that were made to look like them are just junk. Since even new boats require more time and money than they're probably worth, it's best to get one that you can love even if it's just a pile of junk sitting in your driveway, or I should say especially if it's a piece of junk (that would be most used boats over five years old) that needs 1000 hours of sweat and $5000 worth of materials before its safe to take out on the water. It may be a Scarab, but it has about as much in common with the original Larry Smith design as your typical bowrider family runabout.