PDA

View Full Version : Did Deck Hardware come on the early Donzis?

YoAnthony
06-21-2005, 01:11 PM
My 1971 GT21 has a cleat and two chocks on the foredeck and cleats on the rear deck corners. Does anybody know if these are original?
My guess is, no.

Anthony

Morgan's Cloud
06-21-2005, 01:26 PM
I think you're right Anthony ... "no"

From what I've seen they only had the lifting rings front and rear ,, NO cleats .

My '66 St Tropez as a 'fishing/utility' model had all the hardware needed to get the job done but NO cleats front or rear, or fairleads (bow chocks).
I know this makes for a cleaner deck but where the h**l are we supposed to tie lines up to things ? ? ?

Steve

ps.. the GT 21 has always been one of my very favourite models.

Lenny
06-21-2005, 01:57 PM
My GT21 has "chocks" fro mthe factory. Two forward just ahead of front of windshield, and two about a foot back from transom end of windshield. As well as the two lift rings. These were original. And rotten.

Morgan's Cloud
06-21-2005, 02:25 PM
These were original. And rotten.

That's very surprising Lenny..

In all the classics , Donzi did'nt use any 'pot metal' stuff ..

If they were'nt Chromed bronze or S/S (unlikely) I'd bet they were put on by someone else ..

Steve

YoAnthony
06-21-2005, 04:23 PM
So, this winter when i repaint the deck, I can easily patch the holes and loose the hardware. Then I have to deal with tying the boat up with the lifting eyes...bummer. Lines rub across the deck too.

TOPSY II
06-21-2005, 06:42 PM
YoAnthony: As a "born and bred" Jersey Boy...Where do you tie "DA ROPES"?

Seriously, I've mentioned the same problem in another thread...the only place to tie off the boat is with the lift rings fore and aft....Drives the guys at my marina NUTS..means they have to take my cover off in order to tie the boat until I arrive...( dry stack)...I've mentioned that just maybe the solution is a nice set of "pop ups...doesn't screw up the lines of the boat but still functional when you need em!

Anybody else? I love some suggestions ( other than making my wife sit on the gunnels till I get back from the Marina store) :biggrin: :biggrin:

Another Suggestion: Ask GCarter...the man is absolutely full of ideas and solutions! From the pics I've seen of his Minx, Donzi should ASK HIM !!!:beer:

Personally I think I'm going the pop-up cleat route

TOPSY II

Drinsect
06-21-2005, 08:38 PM
My 1971 GT21 has a cleat and two chocks on the foredeck and cleats on the rear deck corners. Does anybody know if these are original?
My guess is, no.

Anthony

My 21-GT had chocks just ahaed of where the winshield used to be and just 1 foot behind where the winshield would have enede they were 'pot metal' and rotten when I took them off. I will probably replace them with stainless.

olredalert
06-21-2005, 09:05 PM
-------Those little pop-up chocks were real useful for all kinds of stuff, but no company I know of ever made them out of any kind of good material. The salt would get down inside them and no amount of washing would clean them out. Consequently they rotted from the inside out. Never-the-less DONZI liked them and used them for several years. The ones on Marios Corsican were good enough to have re-plated when I owned it but very few of them are..........Bill S

TOPSY II
06-22-2005, 07:55 AM
Anthony/"et al"....Check out www.eddiemarine.com (http://www.eddiemarine.com), it appears they have a couple of variations on cleats: S/S and Billet versions, along with the bezels.
I just got their catalog the other day, haven't checked out the prices yet, but it looks like stuff that will hold up and look "MAVALOS"

Pete:outtahere

Rich
06-22-2005, 08:15 AM
That's very surprising Lenny..

In all the classics , Donzi did'nt use any 'pot metal' stuff ..

If they were'nt Chromed bronze or S/S (unlikely) I'd bet they were put on by someone else ..

Steve

Steve...

On the earliest models (at least the 16 & 18) the hand rail ends & centers were chrome plated zinc (pot metal). Not sure when Donzi changed these parts to brass.

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
06-22-2005, 08:40 AM
I believe the factory installed cleats and chocks on the early Donzis at the customer's request. My '67 18' 2+3 has chocks and I've seen others with chocks in exactly the same place.

Eric

Morgan's Cloud
06-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Steve...

On the earliest models (at least the 16 & 18) the hand rail ends & centers were chrome plated zinc (pot metal). Not sure when Donzi changed these parts to brass.

Well blow me down ! :biggrin:

I know that those cheapo Teleflex steering bezels made it through but I'm surprised to hear that Donzi did in fact use inferior stuff in some instances.

All of my 40 year old stuff (even an 18" long piano hinge) is all so good I was able to get it re-chromed and it looks brand new. Remember , this has been a salt water boat all of it's life !

The cleats I added 18 years ago (4 of them) are Swiss made and of surgical quality . They actually look like chrome. I've never seen them anywhere before or since but definitely would look good on any classic. (at least where function comes first )

Steve

knots2u
06-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Lenny, do you still have the GT?

Lenny
06-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Bob, no, a fella in Vancouver bought it...

Otherwise, you would already have the seat patterns you desire :D and I would have new seats.

I am sure someone would send you there original old stuff that needs re-doing so that you could pattern and ramp up for new stuff. At a slight discount :)

Mine did not need re-doing anyway.

Sorry :(

knots2u
06-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Oh well, but thanks for the response.

YoAnthony
06-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Here are pics of my deck hardware. Look familiar to anyone?

Richard McCoy
06-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Accon Marine has S.S Pop up chocks and Donzi Stock Pop up cleats. S.S.Pop up bow lights. 1 727 572 9202. www.acconmarine.com (http://www.acconmarine.com)

Richard McCoy
06-22-2005, 10:43 PM
When you buy a boat it becomes a hole in the water that does not have a bottom and it will take all the money that you can throw in it. The idea is to limit the amount of the same items you buy over the years by finding the best and the longest lasting. Cheap could cost more over the long haul. Buy the best, buy it once than buy something else it will never end and if it did where would the fun be.:biggrin:

TuxedoPk
06-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Anthony- None of your hardware is the same as what is on my 1970 GT.

Lenny
06-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Anthony, your cleats are the same, but the "guides" for ropes I did not have. I had the chocks.

I had a '71 and it seems that there was a bit of hardware available then, and all different...

Don't worry about it... :)

olredalert
06-23-2005, 08:26 AM
--------I would agree with Lenny as the 1972 GT21 I bought new had different hatch hinges as well, although I have seen your type on occasion.............Bill S

Morgan's Cloud
06-23-2005, 10:18 AM
That stuff does'nt look like 'pot metal' hardware to me ...
More appears to be the decent stuff ..

Lenny , I'm a bit confused here ...(so what's new ?) You say that you did'nt have the "guides" for the ropes ... aka 'fairleads' .. you had "chocks" ...
What are 'chocks' ?
Steve

Bob
06-23-2005, 10:47 AM
The "Donzi" hatch buttons, vents, and lifting rings all look original. If you need replacement lifting rings, I have a set with the trim rings.

Lenny
06-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Steve, I don't have a pic of them handy. Or anywhere for that matter. They had a stand up pin in the center that was long since "dissolved". I will look, hang-on. :D

http://www.donzi.net/photos/197021gt.jpg
This one has 'em below
http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsporer432.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsporer424.jpg
This one below has 'em as well
http://www.donzi.net/hull/C21-42/leeming.jpg
...and this one...
http://www.donzi.net/hull/21-21/Boat-3.gif

Morgan's Cloud
06-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Of course I can't see what the heck I'm supposed to be looking at .......

Is one of those 'lovelies' yours ? ?

Lenny
06-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Here are some on Ricks' twin GT21 Steve. Just to the left of the front of the port side windshield.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/ACF2D8.jpg

...oh, and I found this pic as well. A St.Tropez pic you might not have seen.

http://www.donzi.net/hull/4962/BlueAngel06_3.jpg

Drinsect
06-24-2005, 06:37 AM
Here are pics of my deck hardware. Look familiar to anyone?
Looks like ive seen it many times. But the cleats are not like the ones I had on my 21-GT and no rope guides. There position seems to be different. Looks like after-market

Morgan's Cloud
06-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Lenny ,

I can see something there on the deck.. I just can't make out what it is ...

I have seen the photo of that St T .. thanks ... it's a beaut ... but it needs a bow rail to finish it off :biggrin:

joseph m. hahnl
06-24-2005, 09:25 PM
the only place to tie off the boat is with the lift rings fore and aft....Drives the guys at my marina NUTS..means they have to take my cover off in order to tie the boat TOPSY II

i think now mater what you do they will allways have to take off the cover to tie it up. but here is an idea. i,m thinking about making these for my minx. i havent measured the rings yet but imagine this, lets just say they're 1" in diameter
so you take a 1"dia by 3'' or 4" long stainless bar stock have a 1 ' radius turned on each end . polish it and stick it through the lift ring secure it with rubber gromets on both sides. now you have a cleat. you can take them off at any time and you wont need to drill into your boat. you can modify this idea in any way you see fit but it is quite applicable . if the grommets dont work you can drill and tap a hole in the ring and use a set screw drill a detent or mill a flat in the center of the bar.

TuxedoPk
06-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Yo- My cleats are the same as the first picture of the blue twin GT.

If anyone has a source on these the center part of mine that twists are snapped off on 2 of the cleats.

Formula Jr
06-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Lenny, those are fender T-ees.. I think all the GTs came with those. You don't see them on other models but almost always on the GTs.

Islander
06-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Here's a pic of my '76 GT. It has two pairs of SS cleats(they may have been added later), no chocks.

YoAnthony
06-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Was the swim platform an option for the GTs???

Nice boat BTW.

Anthony

Islander
06-28-2005, 06:52 AM
Was the swim platform an option for the GTs???

Nice boat BTW.

Anthony

Anthony,
I've only owned the boat for a little more than a year and I don't know when the platform was installed, but I'm pretty certain that the platform on this boat was not a factory install. I don't know if there was a listed option from Donzi for one.

Danny
06-28-2005, 10:07 PM
My 73 GT had a swim platform very similar if not identical, left it off awhen we redid the transom, I thought it was an add on but after seeing this one it makes me wonder. Mine has only vents and hanging eyes no other chocks or cleats. Mine came with air horns, a Perko plug in light standard on the front deck, the usual running lights and a large in dash compass.
The blue and white GT in the above pictures with my red 16 tied beside it once belong to a friend of mine. The picture was taken at my dock. That boat I think was an 1970 and was originally the same shade of blue as Lenny's. That GT was repainted and repowered with a 454TRS in the mid 80s
Danny

olredalert
06-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Danny,

-------The fella in that 21GT looks very much like John Chisholm. Is that him? And if its him is this one of the several boats he brought up to the Chisholm summer home and sold in Ontario?..........Bill S

Danny
06-29-2005, 06:56 AM
Bill
It's not John..
I first saw this boat in the late 80s in Honey Harbour on Georgian Bay after it had been painted and repowered. I then saw the boat at Gordon Bay Marina in Parry Sound in 2000 and it was being sold as a 1980, knew right away it was an 80. When my friend Dave bought it the surveyor contacted Donzi and verified it was an 70. Dave sold the boat last year but I don't know where it went.
Where in Ontario was the Chisholm summer home?
Danny

olredalert
06-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Danny,

------It was either Muskoka or one of the sister lakes.
------Funny thing happened when Jan and I went to visit that area a couple of years ago. Jan went shopping (thats NOT the funny part) and I went out on a cruise boat to see things from the water. We got just out of a channel into the lake and the captain who was on the microphone pointed out an island with a big house and about a seven boat boathouse full of wooden classics. He then said the island, house, boathouse, and boats belonged to an industrialist named Tim Chisholm. Johns brothers name was, of course, Tim. I have never followed up on that and dont know if its Tims place or not. That same weekend was when that huge power outage occured and Jan and I thought it best to make tracks for home so I ran out of time while there. One thing that was a bit strange if it was Tims house is that there wasnt one DONZI in the boat house. I would like to find out if that is a Chisholm home sometime. The Tim I knew was very much a gentleman..............Bill S