PDA

View Full Version : What can you do with a 22ZX ???

rag top man
06-21-2005, 09:46 AM
I can't believe for a minute that the only thing a 22ZX is good for is getting to where you're going fast and in style.
My hopes with a stepped 22ZX, 7.4, Bravo w/ planes, is to
1. go fast
2. look good
3. pull the kids on skiis or a wake board or other pull toys.
4. have a place to "sleep" when I "see" two boats of mine, instead of the one I brought

However, recently, I've heard mention that a 22Zx isn't much of a choice for use pulling skiiers or wake boarders.
What do you 22ZX owners do with your boats??
For that matter, how about you 22 Classic owners too, ski? wakeboard?
Thanks in advance,
rag top man

DJ13
06-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Rag Top,

You should be able to do all those things, just don't expect the performance of a tournament ski boat. Like I said before, going slow isn't exactly what these boats are built for but that doesn't mean it's impossible to have some fun. I'll be towing tubers and wakeboarders in a couple weeks here. I'll be glad to post some pix of the endeavor. I do anticipate that my friend's Bayliner will do a better job of towing wakeboarders at 18mph though, while I'm concentrating on looking good, enjoying the sun & water and scaring the crap out of the brave tube riders! Just go out and do it! Don't let a bunch of written opinions spoil your day!~

boldts
06-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Rag Top,

Have to agree. Enjoy doing what you want to use the boat for. Only thing is, you may have to prop the boat a little differently than the owner who wants to go from point A to point B as fast as possible. The Bravo1 has been memtioned before as a great prop for the stepped hull 22ZX. It's a 4 blade prop. For pulling skiers and play toys, you may just have to buy a second prop in a smaller pitch of 1 or 2 inches to get the skier out of the water without dragging them forever. It will also help keep your engine RPMs in a better operating range while running slower under load. Then you just choose the prop for the days activities. It's a 5 minute swap at the most.

With that said, you could still do a spirited run after sking, but expect the engine to be bouncing on the RPM limiter as the smaller prop will allow engine RPMs to go above recommended levels.

Zinger
06-22-2005, 09:11 AM
This boat is a very poor boat to pull anything , I have pulled tube and skier and its hard not to have the prop blow out. Believe me I have pulled many skiers and the boat really is a poor choice , You really can't compare the two boats they are too many differences . I own the ZX and the wife and kids prefer the zx over the classic its a much better boat for the family and has alot of performance .Jeff

cneidhart
06-23-2005, 01:09 PM
For a 22' boat it's pretty good. It does look good. Holds enough fuel for A to B. It goes fast enough to scare me and all my passangers.
I can pull 2 ski'ers or wake board. I don't have anyone foolish enough to get in a tube behind it though.
It's missing a lot.

easy enterance and exit
ski storage, other then just tossing them inside
cabin venting

But if I went larger, that all would be cured.