PDA

View Full Version : Make up plug wires 101 Ha!

MOP
06-20-2005, 10:18 PM
I know some of you more learned hot rodders will get a giggle out of this! I went out and bought some Accel wires they came one ended, did not think much of it hell I have made up quite a few wire sets over the years. Well standard OEM's are simple! I spent about 30 minutes fighting one end and boot, no way was I able to slide the wire through the boot and attach the tip. I dropped a dime on one of my racer buds and told him what I was up to, after he got done laughing and ribbing me the told me the trick, he said all the high perf wires were a very tight fit in the boots. He said put the tip on first grease the wire and boot, use a pair of pliers around the wire gently slide them up to the connector and push it into the boot then take a small screw driver and push it the rest of the way in place. OK I attacked the yellow buggers again got all 8 done in about 20 minutes, figured I would post this for those like me that have not done high perf wire sets!

Phil

Ed Donnelly
06-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Mop; It only costs a dime?? In Canada it a quarter..
Your wire kit should have come with dialectric? grease.............Ed

RickSE
06-21-2005, 10:16 AM
DISHSOAP

I only buy one ended MSD or Mallory wires.

Moody Blu'
06-21-2005, 09:09 PM
been there done that , spit works well

Rootsy
06-22-2005, 06:19 AM
i remember accel wires... i think i have a couple of old dual point mallories with em hanging out of the caps... :eek!:

spit, dielectric grease, yup they both work well and all i'll use... petroleum greases will break down the silicone... hand assemble only, no tools touch the wires or boots... been there, done that, got the 40,000 volt scar between the eyes and a short nap on top of a running BBC... http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/puke.gif

rag top man
06-22-2005, 07:31 AM
Polywater is a K-Y Jelly like substance, slick as snot, that won't break down the insulation, and evaporates leaving no residue (you I & C Techs should know that :smash: )

Rootsy
06-22-2005, 10:53 AM
only if you give me the power to make a few folks disappear :biggrin: :eek!: :yes: