PDA

View Full Version : Wax on, wax off...

Tony
06-20-2005, 08:01 PM
I've used Starbrite w/ teflon for several years, and have been very happy with it. Got the 3-M on sale, and thought I'd try it since I seem to remember reading good things about it. Definitely harder to apply, though. Here's the question:

I clean my 38 year old interior with a Simple Green solution. I don't use Armorall because it supposedly is hard on the stitching. But I like the idea of conditioning the vinyl for softness, protection, and longevity. One year I used baby oil. Anybody got any "conditioning" products they like for an older original Bilt-Rite interior? Sorry for being too lazy to search!

Tony
06-20-2005, 10:59 PM
I got un-lazy for a minute and did some searching. I ended up ordering some 303 Aerospace Protectant...decent tech info found at this site:

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=33

Cuda
06-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Yep, that's what we use on our 19 year old interior.

RickSE
06-21-2005, 10:35 AM
I've been using Meguiar's Vinal & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner for several years. Seems to work pretty good.

Meguiar's states it:
* Deep cleans and revitalizes vinyl and rubber surfaces
* Restores color with a rich natural sheen, not the typical synthetic shine produces with conventional protectants
* Screens out damaging UV rays that can dry out and crack the surface

Cuda
06-21-2005, 11:23 AM
I just this morning bought some Meguiar's #56 Carnauba wax for the boat. It's the best wax we've used.

Dr. Dan
06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
:cool: I use the 303 on the 22 Classic. I use Armorall wipes on my Engine Compartment hoses, etc. and I use Interlux White Bilge Kote to touch up the white in there. I use Mcguires exclusively on the hull, but I am gonna try some other Products. I have had great luck with the Teflon as a finish product.

Doc :spongebob

Footloose
06-21-2005, 06:04 PM
so what your saying is when the water does not bead off the deck when it rains that's bad ???? .................right?:biggrin:

NeedSpeed
06-22-2005, 11:52 AM
303 or 3M - Outdoor Vinyl Cleaner, Conditioner & Protector. Both work great.

Just Say N20
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
I have a 1983 16' Checkmate I got a couple of years ago. When I got it, it was about as shiney as a velvet sofa. Took all the hardware off, and used 3M medium oxidation remover (w/Porter Cable 7" variable speed polisher). Once that was looking good, I used a product called "Buff Magic" that had produced great results on my previous Donzis, and then finally West Marine Polish w/Teflon. It looked Great!, for about a month. It then started quickly reverting back to the Velvet sofa look.

I can't stand things that don't look great, but I am not excited about the prospect of having to do this job every Spring. If the surface was looking fantastic before any protection was applied. But then deteriorated about a month after (I put on 2 coats of wax), I would assume the wax layer wasn't protecting very well. I'm guessing something with severe U.V. protection is needed.

Any suggestions?

Chili 18
06-22-2005, 11:45 PM
I have a 1983 16' Checkmate I got a couple of years ago. When I got it, it was about as shiney as a velvet sofa. Took all the hardware off, and used 3M medium oxidation remover (w/Porter Cable 7" variable speed polisher). Once that was looking good, I used a product called "Buff Magic" that had produced great results on my previous Donzis, and then finally West Marine Polish w/Teflon. It looked Great!, for about a month. It then started quickly reverting back to the Velvet sofa look.

I can't stand things that don't look great, but I am not excited about the prospect of having to do this job every Spring. If the surface was looking fantastic before any protection was applied. But then deteriorated about a month after (I put on 2 coats of wax), I would assume the wax layer wasn't protecting very well. I'm guessing something with severe U.V. protection is needed.

Any suggestions?

Clear coat with Awlgrip. Perma shine