PDA

View Full Version : Loose Coupler

joseph m. hahnl
06-20-2005, 07:10 PM
can you just undo the bell housing from the motor and the mount bracket and slide it back to tighten the coupler bolts.

gcarter
06-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Joe, the flywheel cover IS the rear mount!!!
You can lift the engine and move it forward a few inches to remove the cover. Not too big a job.

joseph m. hahnl
06-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Joe, the flywheel cover IS the rear mount!!!
You can lift the engine and move it forward a few inches to remove the cover. Not too big a job.

George : i would prefer to leave the motor where it is, didn't MOP have to check all that stuff with the coupler he bought off e-bay.

MOP
06-20-2005, 09:26 PM
George is right that is what I did, remove drive, undo the exhaust, undo the ground from the bell housing to the transom shield, undo the water pickup hose, look around real careful for anything that needs to be loosend or removed to allow the engine to come forward. Take the bolts securing the front mounts out do not disturb the adjusters, remove the two back mount bolts and lift it. Honest if I were doing a coupler I would raise it up and rotate it, there are only a few more things to take loose. Harness, battery wires and fuel line. You will find getting the tin cover off the bottom of the bell housing a real bugger unless you can get at it, I think you will :cussball: a lot if you try to short cut it. Don't forget to check the alignment when done, it will be where it was before the pull if you leave the motor mounts alone but check it anyway!

P.S. I was checking just the rear mounts!!! Not the coupler.

Curious what makes you think you have a loose coupler??? You can get a good idea if it is loose without removing the engine!

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
06-21-2005, 04:42 AM
[

Curious what makes you think you have a loose coupler??? You can get a good idea if it is loose without removing the engine!

Phil[/QUOTE]

phil i can move it by hand on the fly wheel>>

MOP
06-21-2005, 06:31 AM
OK follow steps above :wrench: :wrench: :biggrin.:

MOP
06-21-2005, 06:42 AM
If the coupler has been loose for awhile good chance the holes may have enlarged you may need to go for another to be sure it is in perfect alignment. I have a low hour spare Alpha if you do need one. Make sure it fits the studs with no slop. By the way if the coupler is loose so is the flywheel!

joseph m. hahnl
06-21-2005, 08:08 PM
If the coupler has been loose for awhile good chance the holes may have enlarged you may need to go for another to be sure it is in perfect alignment. I have a low hour spare Alpha if you do need one. Make sure it fits the studs with no slop. By the way if the coupler is loose so is the flywheel!

phil; yes the fly wheel is loose not the coupler. checked it today . i have the drive off and every thing disconected and ready to pull it foward. the original problem was the motor would spin when i went to torque the bolts. . so what is the best method for holding the crank stationary while i torque the bolts.? what is the torque spec? i have a seloc mercruiser repair manual. i think the torque specs are off.

MOP
06-21-2005, 10:06 PM
phil; yes the fly wheel is loose not the coupler. checked it today . i have the drive off and every thing disconected and ready to pull it foward. the original problem was the motor would spin when i went to torque the bolts. . so what is the best method for holding the crank stationary while i torque the bolts.? what is the torque spec? i have a seloc mercruiser repair manual. i think the torque specs are off.

I have a flywheel holder that hooks into the ring gear (On loan righ now)! You can usualy hold it still with a BIG screw driver stuck into the ring gear teeth and levered against the block (need two people) Torque is 65 lbs.

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
06-23-2005, 08:36 PM
I have a flywheel holder that hooks into the ring gear (On loan righ now)! You can usualy hold it still with a BIG screw driver stuck into the ring gear teeth and levered against the block (need two people) Torque is 65 lbs.

Phil

phil: i used a pair of vise grips clamped on to the fly wheel and rested it on the starter. worked excellent i was able to torque to 65ftlbs. motor is mounted back in compartment just need to hitch everything back up.

joe

ps should be running again this weekend

gcarter
06-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Another way is to remove the balancer, screw in two of the three bolts part way and stick a bar between the two bolts. The outer end of the bar can rest on something permanent, the crank won't turn.