PDA

View Full Version : Water coming out of Merctrans II filler???

Nicotine Fit
06-20-2005, 04:21 PM
I have a 1978 Cig 20 with a 330 Merc and II-TR transmission. 2 days ago on this year's maiden voyage, I nearly sunk the boat due to forgetting to put one of the water hoses on or not tightening it enough. Was able to get the water out and drove it to the lift. Yesterday we took it out for a short ride and as we returned I noticed the shifting was progressively worse. When we got back, I open the hatch and saw water and oil in the bottom. I pulled the transmission dipstick and water started pouring out. I assumed that it had gotten in there the previous day. Today I drained it, put in new fluid and ran it without the dipstick with the intention to change it again after a few minutes. Surprise! Oil and water was being pumped out of the dipstick/filler hole...about like having a garden hose turned on 20%. A buddy wondered if it could be cracked somewhere internally from not getting it drained enough for winter. Any ideas? Thanks for any help/info.

Dave

smoothie
06-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Could be one of two things: either your rubber boot for the outdrive has a hole in it letting water in through the output shaft or there is an oil cooler inside the tranny that could have frozen and ruptured from not being winterize properly,ya have to run the engine with anti-freeze or have a five year old get to the drain on the cooler for ya,,,from the gusher that you have I would bet it is the oil cooler...

MOP
06-20-2005, 06:25 PM
I am with Smoothie on the oil cooler, 1978 good chance you have the one that is mounted in the transom shield. Many times thay are forgotten during winterization and the waffles seperate, they are not repairable. They do show up on Ebay, a good place to shop one they are not cheap.

Phil

Dr. Dan
07-08-2005, 05:39 AM
:spongebob Well at least ya found the problem and your an unhappy canine, it could always be worse? You could be just Good Lookin and Stupid like Johnny Revlon? Then where would ya be? :spongebob

Good Luck sounds like a busy weekend...

Doc of Sympathetic Spun Hubs :cool:

Well, gee, I just found another place the Merctrans gets water in it... :kaioken::banghead:

Through the bellows... Seems if your bellows leaks water will flow through it and follow the driveshaft right up to your tranny's rear seal.. Since this seal is a single lip to keep oil in, the water can force it's self into the tranny.. It is also VERY common to have the water take out your transmission output shaft bearing (would be a gimble bearing on an Alpha or Bravo) and the U-joints whilst it is screwing around in there... Then comes the fun part: To change the bearing, you have to pull the engine..

Guess what I have to do before I can leave for 1k isles next Tuesday??

BTW, the cooler will hold 125 PSI when you pressure test them without
exploding... :eek:

:spongebob Well an unhappy canine is a more knowledgeable canine, at least you're smarter now? Could be worse, you could be just Good Lookin and Stupid like Johnny Revlon...now what would that get you? :bonk:

Good Luck...sounds like a busy weekend! :beer:

Doc :p

Unhappy canine... :bonk: :boggled: :banghead:

smoothie
07-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Well, gee, I just found another place the Merctrans gets water in it... :kaioken::banghead:

Through the bellows... Seems if your bellows leaks water will flow through it and follow the driveshaft right up to your tranny's rear seal.. Since this seal is a single lip to keep oil in, the water can force it's self into the tranny.. It is also VERY common to have the water take out your transmission output shaft bearing (would be a gimble bearing on an Alpha or Bravo) and the U-joints whilst it is screwing around in there... Then comes the fun part: To change the bearing, you have to pull the engine..

Guess what I have to do before I can leave for 1k isles next Tuesday??

BTW, the cooler will hold 125 PSI when you pressure test them without exploding... :eek:

Unhappy canine... :bonk: :boggled: :banghead:

Just like I said... :D it could be one of "two" things,go ahead...ask me how I know :wink:

smoothie
07-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Damn! No kidding...its coming in that fast! I must of caught mine before it got real bad...sure didnt look like a fun job replacing the seal and bearing in the service manual...you have my deepest sympathy,,,

Nicotine Fit
08-23-2005, 01:23 PM
I pulled the cooler and found that it was split from incomplete draining for winter. I squeazed it together, braized it and put it back in. After 2 months, it seems to be ok. I'll use the air compressor to blow it out this year! Hopefully the picture I attached will be visible. Thanks again for the help/ideas.