PDA

View Full Version : US F1 Grand Prix - Buncha Babies...

harbormaster
06-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Did anyone see how the Toads at Michelin whined because their tires were not unsafe and had 15 cars refuse to race at INDY, the day of the race because the INDY track owners would not put in a chicane?

They all did the parade lap and then pulled back into the pits.

That is probably one of the last nails in the coffin of US Formula 1 racing.

Marlin275
06-20-2005, 02:10 PM
I saw part of that race and couldn't understand the issues involved.
They are going to change the tires to slicks in the future, no more treads.

boldts
06-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Not sure, but there was talk of a lawsuit for the ticket money by fans. Problem is, I believe there is an out in very small print on most race tickets that says no refund. Pretty discusting for racing, but I can also see the other side. Doesn't do the sport any good to put 21 cars on the track and have 15 crashes or even a driver death.
This is one of the reasons racing bodies hate tire wars. A tire manufacture will skimp to make their tires faster and have the advantage at the cost of maybe hurting someone fans included. All I can say is I'm glad I wasn't there when you look at the cost for most race fans. I think when a problem was found, changes should have been made either to the car setup or the race track to do what-ever was necessary to make the race safe. They knew about the problem on Saturday I believe.
Will the fans turn away from F-1? I don't think so. Tony George may have to lower ticket prices though to bring the fans back. We'll see. It's kind of funny that the Bridgestone shod cars didn't pull out of a race back when their tires were not always up to snuff for a race. The teams did the best they could by changing the cars to perform the best they could until more tire developement could occur.

Big loser? Today, the fans...... Tomorrow? F-1 popularity in the US. Especially when Americans can go to a NASCAR Truck, Bush or Nextel race on any given weekend. Better yet, they can go to a local dirt track, have a great time watching mud fly and root for who-ever their favorite driver happens to be on every weekend. Dog and pony shows are a dime a dozen. Give me a side by side race with competitive passing. That is an exciting race for me. Not a car leading every lap with 20 others following him except if the car breaks or the pit crew has a poor stop. Must admit though...... The dive into the first turn of a F-1 race is probably the most exciting thing in motor racing. Love to here that Britten anouncer getting undies in a bunch as F-1 cars are actually with-in a few inches of another one.