PDA

View Full Version : Center Consoles

onesubdrvr
06-20-2005, 07:42 AM
Just some questions,...

As I am getting ready to sell the Ragazza, I'm considering a couple of different boats to replace her, a couple of Donzi's, and also looking at the possibility of a new center console that will fit in my garage, thus far I've looked at

1) Cobia 194
2) Pro-Line 19 Sport
3) Key West 186cc
4) Key Largo 190
5) Trophy 1903

Of all the boats I've looked at, these seem to have the highest freeboard, and transom.

I understand the large gap in pricing - fit and finish primarilly, but my main concerns are
1) Ride - do they all ride close to the same?
2) Structural integrity - can all of these handle 2-3' seas 8-10 miles out?
3) Does anyone here that has experience in any of the above have a preference, why?
4) Do the reviews on BoatTest.com seem like paid testimonials to anyone else? (ie. all reviews are positive)

Thanks,
Wayne

Cuda
06-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Of the four you have listed, the Proline is the only one I would consider.

Cuda
06-20-2005, 08:09 AM
You are describing my Biddison to a T. Those were the factors I was looking at when I bought it. It has an eight foot beam, and by far the most freeboard. You can stand at the transom and still lock your knees under the gunwale. I've had it in around 18 inches of water, and I've had it 43 miles out in the gulf. I've pulled skiers, been up rivers, explored lakes, and about every use you can think of for a boat. It's the SUV of boats. I've had it in four to six foot seas, although I will warn you right now, no CC will ride anywhere near as well as a deep v performance boat. That's how I got into this crazy hobby of performance boating. I was coming in one day, beating my way through a stiff chop with just enough speed to stay on a plane, and I saw a small boat fly by me at a good speed, and the driver wasn't getting pounded. When I got to the ramp, I looked to see what kind of boat it was. It was a 206 Formula, and that's how I got into this stuff.

I watched them build my boat at the factory in St Pete. I made the mistake of having them put a 120 Johnson on it instead of the 140 that was standard, thinking I'd save gas. DO NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE! If you get a CC, get one with the biggest engine it's rated for. In 2001, I repowered with a 175 Johnson, and at the same time, I had hydraulic steering put on it. Those two things made a world of difference.

The only thing you can't do in the CC is sleep on it, and I assure you if I sleep on it, it's because I couldn't make it to the dock!

Of all the boats I have, it would be the last I would sell. I reckon they can use it for my coffin. :)

Cuda
06-20-2005, 08:11 AM
In the last picture, compare the transom height of my boat to the one behind it.

onesubdrvr
06-20-2005, 08:14 AM
No Doubt!! much higher transom!!!

Yeah, that's what I'm beginning to think - SUV,

BUT, I do have my eye on a couple of other things too!! ;)

Wayne

Cuda
06-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Wayne, it sounds to me like you have the same problem I had. Can't decide on what boat I want. Do like I did, and get one or two of each. :)

Cuda
06-20-2005, 08:32 AM
:anchor: :anchor: :anchor:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/4/79683104.htm

Forrest lives up that way.

Cuda
06-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Closer to you, and a better deal I think.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/9/79486739.htm

onesubdrvr
06-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the links,

I'll have to check that one out in Jupiter,...same place where I went to check out a Baja, a Checkmate, and a Fountain, although the 35' fountain was a little more $$ than I wanted to spend (ok it was out right outrageous), it was SWEET!!

Wayne

Sam
06-20-2005, 10:56 AM
I have a Key West 2020 DC (Dual Console) same hull as the 2020 CC just a different liner. Mine is powered with a 150 hp Yamaha four stroke. I bought it as a utility boat I.E. fishing, cruising ect but more heavy on the fishing. Now I fish in a varity of conditions from great to terrible and to date I love the boat. I have had no issues with the boat or motor. I've had CC's in the past and they were fine but this DC is just little more versatile. Regardless of what boat you buy if you go with an OB I would highly recomend the four storke Yam. Lot's of power great fuel economy low maintance, just my two cents.

Sam

onesubdrvr
06-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I have a Key West 2020 DC (Dual Console) same hull as the 2020 CC just a different liner. Mine is powered with a 150 hp Yamaha four stroke. I bought it as a utility boat I.E. fishing, cruising ect but more heavy on the fishing. Now I fish in a varity of conditions from great to terrible and to date I love the boat. I have had no issues with the boat or motor. I've had CC's in the past and they were fine but this DC is just little more versatile. Regardless of what boat you buy if you go with an OB I would highly recomend the four storke Yam. Lot's of power great fuel economy low maintance, just my two cents.

Sam
I've heard alot of positives on the 4 stroke Yammies,....

I've seent the Key West 186 dual console, pretty nice boat as well

Thanks for the input!!

Wayne

Cuda
06-20-2005, 11:15 AM
I agree with the four stroke Yammi. The only downfall is paying for one. :eek:

Footloose
06-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Can you fit a 33-footer in your garage??? Donzi black hulled center console with cuddy that sleeps 3 (no trailer though) ;-)

Just some questions,...

As I am getting ready to sell the Ragazza, I'm considering a couple of different boats to replace her, a couple of Donzi's, and also looking at the possibility of a new center console that will fit in my garage, thus far I've looked at

1) Cobia 194
2) Pro-Line 19 Sport
3) Key West 186cc
4) Key Largo 190
5) Trophy 1903

Of all the boats I've looked at, these seem to have the highest freeboard, and transom.

I understand the large gap in pricing - fit and finish primarilly, but my main concerns are
1) Ride - do they all ride close to the same?
2) Structural integrity - can all of these handle 2-3' seas 8-10 miles out?
3) Does anyone here that has experience in any of the above have a preference, why?
4) Do the reviews on BoatTest.com seem like paid testimonials to anyone else? (ie. all reviews are positive)

Thanks,
Wayne

onesubdrvr
06-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Can you fit a 33-footer in your garage??? Donzi black hulled center console with cuddy that sleeps 3 (no trailer though) ;-)
Unfortunately, no, not enough forsight on my part to plan when having the house build, 22' 8 3/8", course, had I been thinking, I could have gone to about 32', still, not quite :wink:

Oh well, more to come!!

Wayne