PDA

View Full Version : SOLAS test postponed, what a nightmare I had...

Lenny
06-20-2005, 01:02 AM
:(

OK, so it is Fathers Day and no one phoned me :rolleyes: ( an "ex" and teenagers) So I decide to go out in the boat. I put the new SOLAS on, changed direction etc. I get 4 adults together, (ok, 3 and me :D )

The weather is PERFECT. Sunny, clear, about 75 D. 10 mile an hour wind at WORST. A foot of chop.

So, we put the boat in the water at the ramp, and everyone gets on board. Basically a sunken looking X-18 at the dock :D .

We fire itup, take off and try to get up on plane... NOOO WAAAYYYY. The SOLAS 21 blows-out as the bow tries to fall. Everytime. So after about 3 minutes I turn around and go back to the dock/ramp. I lower the "pin" from hole three to hole two. Tighten it all back up.

NOW, here is the focal point. !!!

The tilt pump decided not to work so we through a rope under the leg, (sank the rope) and pulled up the leg. There is where I did the adjustment. Then, when done, my buddy lowered the leg and untied the rope from the rear lift ring.

Then we left again. It got on plane no problem, but the bow was way lower than I would have liked it. Causes a lot of problems surfing and quartering at speed. :rolleyes: The cavitation was still there but no wheres near as bad. The other nuance I didn't like was the boat (prop spinning left) was hell bent to put the starboard side in the water and heel. I moved two grown adults to port in the rear seat and she still stayed like that. :( My RPMS with the Ultra 14" x 24" , at 19% slip, were 5300-ish. Best I could do today was 4300...with a 15 5/8" x 21 SOLAS :( Also, there was a vibration, of which I have NEVER HAD ANY that would hum through your feet, through the hull and make what seemed like an audible noise in the boat. :eek: It was gross. :(

NOW READ THIS.

After we changed the drive trim setting and re-lowered it on the second pin to begin again it would seem as tho, the torque tab went sideways...90 degrees to the prop. This loosened it and then it was a "noisemaker" for the prop to smash at whenever it wanted. It was literally rotating and getting smacked by the prop.

I found this out at the end of the day, (GREAT DAY), but on puling it from the ramp on the trailer I could not believe my eyes. :eek:

So, long story short, GRIZZ,, I am sorry, let me get it fixed tommorrow and I will try again. It is the top 3/4" of each blade, only two of the three are toast. :(

The problems and the buss and the right side dive could be this prop or they could be this prop AFTER I wrecked it. It all happened immediately.

So, as a side note, these props BITE !!!

With ALL the damage, I ran, ( 5 minutes prior to pulling it out) 3950-4000 rpms and 47 GPS MPH. The slip there is non-existent. I lost a 1000 rpms tho with the same motor AND went down from a 24" ULTRA to a 21" SOLAS.

There is a lot more to do here to be sure. :yes:

thriller
06-20-2005, 09:08 AM
:angryfire :angryfire The sooner you do a Bravo conversion and a new Big Block/small block conversion the happier you will be....$$:crossfing :crossfing

MM