PDA

View Full Version : remote shift cable

joseph m. hahnl
06-19-2005, 08:07 PM
shift cable problem pushes to reverse not pulling into forward. is there a set screw on the cable or do i need a new cable?

gcarter
06-19-2005, 08:38 PM
There is a set screw (actually two) on the shift plate mounted on the stbd manifold.

Trueser
06-19-2005, 09:39 PM
The set screw is not how you adjust it. Most likely you will need a cable if never replaced.

Mike

MOP
06-20-2005, 06:29 AM
Mike may very well be right the drive cables go bad about 4 or 5 to 1 against the shifter cable, if this was an overnight developement go fo a cable. You can try the following it will give you a good idea of what is going on. Take the cable coming from the shifter off at the converter, start it up and see if it can be shifted fairly easily by pushing the drive cables lever on the converter. If it shifts OK go onto gently moving the lever back and forth to try to determine how free play before has developed. You can make up for a bit of slack with the arm pivot length adjustment, you need to get your hands on a manual to get it right. If the cable is bad do not just change the core, the amount of time you get from changing out the core is not worth it. Some shops with stick a new core insist on a whole new cable.

Phil

RickR
06-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Joseph
Check the cable where it exits the drive. outer part of cable assembly might be broken.

joseph m. hahnl
06-20-2005, 07:08 PM
apparently they nurl the piano wire and press it thru the cross hole in the crosspin. the nurl wore out. so the winner goes to George. i drilled and tapped the center of cross pin and put a set screw on either side to lock the piano wire in place. worked good. but when i started it it was making a racket. I will start a new thread "loose coupler"

MOP
06-20-2005, 10:05 PM
THe racket may be the drives clutch dog, see if the noise goes away by moving the shift handle. Real good chance the shift converter adjustment is off, if you had no noise prior to fooling with it then that is where to look! Any time you fool with the cables the ajustment should be checked, if it is off to much it is real easy to damage the drives clutch dogs or worse if it starts popping out of gear.

Phil

Trueser
06-20-2005, 11:22 PM
I agree with MOP.
I still say install a new one. You will be glad in the long run.

MOP
06-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Being as you are pulling the engine anyway a normally pain in the azz job will be a snap, go for a new cable.

Phil