PDA

View Full Version : This sucks!!!

TMANN
06-18-2005, 04:58 PM
I messed up the bottom of my boat... I was waxing the bottom this morning getting it ready to go to Lake Travis with JimG and some friends next weekend and I noticed the bottom was gouged out. I have no idea when this happened. It looks like about 1/4" or more of Glass and Gel was cut off.

Does anyone know how easy this is to fix or if it’s even fixable in 5 days? I have to guess someone else has had this happen before. If so do you know if it’s a $200 job or allot more? This sucks.

http://tiemworks.com/donzi/bottom.jpg

TMann

mphatc
06-18-2005, 05:06 PM
This is easily repairable

The boat will need to be lifted or taken off the trailer, the gel coat ground out 3-4 inches out all the way around and the glass rebuilt prior to spraying on new gelcoat.

Shouldn't be more than a $500.00 repair done to a concours condition . .it's all in the labor . . talent is expensive!

Mario

BUIZILLA
06-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Does that roller turn freely??

Moody Blu'
06-18-2005, 07:33 PM
i feel your pain im in a miserable mood because of my damage.
damn it why did i haqve to get a boat named moody blu

joseph m. hahnl
06-18-2005, 10:06 PM
This looks like a job for bondo man.it will cost alot less then $500. if you do it your self. tigers hair body filler works excellent for that kind of damage. you can apply it in thin layers by applying it to wax paper and then sticking and pessing it on to the hull.

joe

MOP
06-19-2005, 12:25 AM
You are through several layers in a reasonably critical area, Mario is giving you the right scoop. It is cheaper to fix it right then to have to do it over, more time and more money.

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
06-19-2005, 07:54 AM
You are through several layers in a reasonably critical area, Mario is giving you the right scoop. It is cheaper to fix it right then to have to do it over, more time and more money.

Phil

Phil : isn't tigers hair fiberglass and resin mixed together i'ts actually harder then resin. i used it on my whaler when the barn fell down on it and the trailer roller bracket popped thru the outer hull. that happened three years ago and i've used the boat every weekend and i have not had to re repair it yet. it is alot easier to apply but harder to sand off. and "i would never tell any body to pay some one else for something they can do them selves"

bondo it and you'll be running this weekend. pay a fiberglass guy to do it. may be you'll get it for next year.

MOP
06-19-2005, 08:38 AM
I don't agree, if you blow the pic up in your photo program you can see he has breached at least 3 maybe 4 layers in spots. The whole area should be ground to the level of the deepest damage and about 7-8 inches wide tapering outward. The go back with enough layers of glass to end up just slightly above the original thickness then brought down to the original level. use as little filler as possible just enough for fairing and then gel coat it. The hull and stringer construction of regular boats is quite different then the Whaler with the foam being its main structure and the glass being its shell. You can shot HD foam into a damaged area of a Whaler, shave it down and glass over that and have a very good repair. How many Whaler "true" stories have you heard of chunks being knocked or bitten out of or even cut in half with little effect on it being able to float. Different construction requires different repair.

Phil

TMANN
06-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your knowledge. I guess I will be taking the boat to a glass shop here on Clear Lake at 8:30 Monday and he is going to have a look at it and see if he can get it done and for how much. If its reasonable and he can get it done in time I will go with him tomorrow. If he can’t get it done in time I might try to do it my self just to get thru the weekend and then when I get back have someone do it right and perfect as I know I will never be able to match Gel Coat and the such. I guess we will see tomorrow. Thanks again everyone.
TMANN

Jraysray
06-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Wow! that does suck!!! Timing even worse! Hope you make the weekend trip!:kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken:

Richard McCoy
06-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Cut the sharp edges off of the trailer bunk brackets and U bolt brackets. Don't power the boat on the trailer looks like you missed. The hardest and longest way most of the time is the shortest way.

Chili 18
06-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Another "thing" to at least consider... Water may have leeched up into the core from the opening. If so. Needs to dry out before sealing it. West system epoxy and fillers may be the path to a solid repair before gel. Probably not a job to rush thru... Lots of grinding, filling, and sanding to do it properly... Bummer!

gcarter
06-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Chili's right about the epoxy. Absolutely the best repair.
But get some guidance on the layup.
System Three Epoxies has a very informative book on line.
Gel won't stick to epoxy (but epoxy does stick to polyesters) so a primer has to be used. That's why it's important to get everything ready first.

PaulO
06-20-2005, 02:12 PM
No core in the hull. You may have some wet glass strands but that should dry out easily. I would use epoxy just because it is stronger and it is thicker (better for upside down repairs). Probably polyester would suffice but, why not epoxy.
PaulO