PDA

View Full Version : Eric G and other Volvo owners. Trim pin...

Lenny
06-18-2005, 12:43 PM
I was going to have these made. I have a drawing for the machine shop to pump a few out in Stainless.

Anyways, I found this today, bought it, and although it may not be the right overall length or perfect design, it is something to start with. :D

It is also 1/2" diameter which is PERFECT.

I will let you know if it works.

Formula Jr
06-18-2005, 01:09 PM
I was going to suggest one of these a while back but didn't have a pic.
Used in older large outboards.
It would be nice to wire that puppy to the boat some how. :D

EricG
06-18-2005, 01:40 PM
I was looking for one of those...but I didn't even know how to search...because I couldn't figure out how to describe it. I had one on my 65 Evinrude, but it was obviously too small.... But I figured there had to be something similar for the bigger outboards.

If you get some made, let me know...I want one!

I also agree with what Jr. Said, drill a hole in it and cable it to the drive...that will make in the water changes far less scary :eek: :eek:

EG

Formula Jr
06-18-2005, 02:20 PM
I've been doing google all morning on these. "Outboard Trim Pin" isn't working.
There's another name for these, I just can't Remember what it was.
Quick Pins? Speed Pins?

Formula Jr
06-18-2005, 02:49 PM
The technical term for these is "Hitch Pin with Swivle Clip." :biggrin:

Len you sure its 1/2 inch? Volvo penta says 10 mil for their pins. 13 mil is 1/2 inch.

joseph m. hahnl
06-18-2005, 03:27 PM
I've been doing google all morning on these. "Outboard Trim Pin" isn't working.
There's another name for these, I just can't Remember what it was.
Quick Pins? Speed Pins?

TILT PIN

joe

Formula Jr
06-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks Joe, "tilt pin" may work in an internet search for finding a replacement. But these probably are an off the shelf item if you can find the right terminology that isn't marine, and find a supplier for the correct lenght in SS.
No need to reinvent the wheel just because its called a caster in other theatres.
Len if you want to have these made, and resell, more power to ya! If I find a supplier in SS I'll e-mail you first. Do with the info as you wish. What is the over all lenght needed?

Kirbyvv
10-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Lenny,
did you ever get the stainless trim pins machined? How did they trun out. I'm interested in one if available.

Lenny
10-03-2005, 12:08 PM
It is on my "list of things to do" ... list :rolleyes:

I will take it to the machine shop this week and get a run of 15 or so done.
Sorry for the delay :(

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
10-03-2005, 10:34 PM
If you make them, I'll buy one.

MOP
10-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Big gear case Johnson & Evenrude, they had them in stainless also. Check the old bone yards they are around.

Phil

Lenny
10-03-2005, 11:29 PM
MOP, that is what I tried and have. The Diameter is about .5-1 mil too narrow. I am rectifying that :D