PDA

View Full Version : OK, for some reason, I am having my 350 built...question

Lenny
06-17-2005, 05:09 PM
I have an original 350/360 HP motor out of a Z-28. It is torn down. I have a bare, ugly, unbored, original 4 bolt block. :rolleyes:

Question, I am taking the block in for 383 clearancing, and magnafluxed and whatever else you all suggest.

When the block is in the shop, what should I have done to it. Cleaned obviously, but what else? Then I am bringing it home, painting it some "colour" and going from there. This is a long winter project. I just want to have it done right. It will be a motor for the bench seat when done.

What should the shop do to it prior to me painting it and getting started?

Who makes the GOOD paint that stays on and what is the prep method?

txtaz
06-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Lenny,

I would at least have the heads and block decked and the cylinders checked for roundness. If good, put a fresh hatch on the walls. If not bore all cylinders out. Of coarse new pistons and rings. Bearings if needed.

Then, balancing, porting and polishing for a higher performance smoother block. I did this once and man was it a sweet engine. The next step would be blueprinting. Don't know what it means except $$$$, but supposedly the best of the best.

I'm out of knowledge.
Wes

onesubdrvr
06-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Lenny,

I would at least have the heads and block decked and the cylinders checked for roundness. If good, put a fresh hatch on the walls. If not bore all cylinders out. Of coarse new pistons and rings. Bearings if needed.

Then, balancing, porting and polishing for a higher performance smoother block. I did this once and man was it a sweet engine. The next step would be blueprinting. Don't know what it means except $$$$, but supposedly the best of the best.

I'm out of knowledge.
Wes
When it comes to the heads and pistons / etc, really think about the future, on my Ragazza (I know, not the same), I built my engine pretty much standard, then started looking at superchargers (after I was done). With a supercharger, you'd want less compression to allow more boost, so dished pistons may be in order,.... etc. so think about what your long term is, and build around that. I'm kicking myself for a couple of reasons now,....

Wayne

joseph m. hahnl
06-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Lenny,

The next step would be blueprinting. Don't know what it means except $$$$, but supposedly the best of the best.

all blue printing means is all of the tolerance fall within the standard tolerances. in other words the clearances meet the blue print. a blue print is a drawing that the engine manufacture makes for casting and machining. generally speaking when you have it decked, rebored, and honed these standard tolerances are allready met. other things would be ,valve to valve guide, angle of valves and seats, crank main journal and throws to connecting rod and main bearings camshaft to camshaft bearings. all of these should and will be met apon rebuild. it gets expensive when your parts are worn and they need replacing or remachining.

BUIZILLA
06-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Lenny, Lenny, Lenny.... you have failed to consult with the SkunkMaster :cool:

I can aSSume you have an 010 casting block your starting with?

JH

Rootsy
06-17-2005, 07:38 PM
tsk tsk tsk :smash:

JR

Genuine Risk
06-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Lenny,
I think that might be a fairly rare engine. If I remember correctly the 360HP was only available in '70 Z-28's . The '70 LT-1 Corvette was rated @ 370HP. In '71 they were reduced in the Z-28 to 330HP. The '70 Z28 360HP is a highly regarded and sought after motor. I'd dangle it out to the restoration guys to see what the market might bear. You might garner the funds to finance the motor of your dreams. Just a thought. Good luck !

Tim

GG Donzi
06-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Lenny,
I think that might be a fairly rare engine. If I remember correctly the 360HP was only available in '70 Z-28's . The '70 LT-1 Corvette was rated @ 370HP. In '71 they were reduced in the Z-28 to 330HP. The '70 Z28 360HP is a highly regarded and sought after motor. I'd dangle it out to the restoration guys to see what the market might bear. You might garner the funds to finance the motor of your dreams. Just a thought. Good luck !

Tim

Lenny, Tim is right that motor is worth a hole lot more to a collector. You may be surprised how much it will bring$$$ Besides thats a bad motor to build for a boat. 11 to 1 compression, the heads don't have harden seats, 383 means your not using the forged seat crank w/nitrided journals. Which does leave you with a good 4 bolt block and a decent set of rods. I would be looking into a 406 myself with vortec or 180 AFR heads.

Lenny
06-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Buzilla, yes , an 010. Yes, I have the documentation to accompany this motor. Yes, Z-28.

I just wanted the block as a basis. I was going to buy a SCAT rotating assembly and find someone with a brain to put it all together for me. Since the Demon and the distributor went so WELL, and it now runs sooo good, I guess I am getting cocky :D . What could go wrong ??... right ??? :rolleyes:

I have the crank and rods and pistons sitting in a big box. I wasn't going to use them and I was going to buy World Products heads etc etc etc. So, long story short, I was just happy with the block, and could care less about all the other stuff. It was a "tip" thrown to me from a buddy I did a kitchen for. He sat on it for 20 years and finally admitted he was not going to build it anymore and put it in his truck. He said, you take it, put it in one of your boats...

So, I am...
Bought a nice engine stand and hoist today as well. I can't believe I am actually thinking about a "MOTOR" ... this will be interesting...

I have CMI bookmarked tho :D

BUIZILLA
06-18-2005, 07:06 AM
Len, eBay that 0010 block to a collector... it's really just a run of the mill 4 bolt, nothing special, except the stampings for the Z designation....it's worth more used, than you using it... get my drift... you just CANNOT build an engine right, for what you can buy the brand new HT383 crater from GM for.

JH

joseph m. hahnl
06-18-2005, 08:10 AM
it's worth more used, than you using it...
JH

steve miller band said it best "go on take the money and run"

Chili 18
06-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Hey Lenny,

Depending on what that collectable engine will bring at auction.... I say sell it.

BUIZILLA mentioned the crate HT383. I looked it up and now... thats a nice engine with LOTS of potential. Found a good article on some easy tricks to bring it to these specs:

Power

Peak HP: 455.3 @ 5,600

Peak Torque: 493.0 @ 4,200

Average HP 2,500-4,800: 327.4

Average Torque 2,500-4,800: 467.7

Average HP 4,000-5,700: 427.4

Average Torque 4,000-5,700: 465.3

Torque at 2,500: 426.3

Here is the link to that article:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/66278/

Wouldnt that be a beast!!!!

Your friend who tip'd you the engine would understand. That engine belongs in a classic street machine. And he still made it all possible...

MOP
06-18-2005, 04:54 PM
How will the HT383 cam do in a wet application?

Rootsy
06-18-2005, 06:13 PM
i BELIEVE it is actually the stock marine roller camshaft in the HT383... the ZZ383 uses a more radical bumpstick