PDA

View Full Version : Ragazza prop question

BoatCrazy
06-16-2005, 07:41 PM
A friend of mine just purchased a 1988 19' Ragazza 3.0L OMC in very good shape other than the prop that was totally hammered and would like to help him figure out what the best options are for a replacement prop.

I'd like to find out if there are any other Ragazza owners here on this board that may be able to steer me in the right direction. He has only taken the boat out once since he purchased the boat and would like to get a new prop before he is left stranded somewhere so any help would be greatly appreciated. The prop that currently is on the boat is stamped 14x13 on the hub and I think the drive ratio is 1.71

Thanks all

boldts
06-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Boat - Do you have any idea what the wide open throttle rpms are? What your looking for a prop to do is keep the engine in the recommended rpm range at wot. Now with that said, there are a couple other things to consider. How is the boat being used? Sking behind it? Pulling water toys? Just doing the cassual cruise from point A to point B? Like to air her out and let the horses run from time to time?

Best thing I can recomend is to contact a prop shop you trust. Throttle-Up is down in Florida and come highly recommended from members here. If you know the wot rpms of the current prop, call them or maybe Precission Propellers and tell them what you have, the rpms, the condition of the current prop and what your after as far as boat performance. These shops are the doctors when it comes to prop needs. Its like your health. You wouldn't go to an auto mechanic to diagnose a chest pain.

The other option is to buy or borrow a prop that is not hammered up in the current size. Note the difference in performance between the two props. Then if your engine is turning to many rpms, add 1" of pitch for every 200 rpms over the recommended engine rpms at wot you are getting. If the rpms are under the recommended engine rpms at wot, change the prop pitch by 1" less for every 200 rpms you are under the recommended engine rpms. This will get you very close as far as the correct prop pitch to run on the boat. Then, you can begin to try different types of props. 3 blade aluminum vs maybe a 4 blade prop. Aluminum vs a Stainless prop. Elaphant ear prop vs clever prop.

There are a number of different prop types and styles. The only way to find what works best on your set-up is to get a baseline and then try other props on the boat to find what works best based on the results of each prop tried. Most prop shops will allow you to test a prop as long as you don't damage it in the process. Once you figure out what you need, then do a search on-line for the best price for the prop you need. Just because you test a prop from a shop, doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy what you need from them. Good luck and welcome to the Registry.