PDA

View Full Version : A new hiding place for the hull number

Bob
06-16-2005, 07:15 PM
A couple of weeks ago I pulled a lot of the hardware off my 1971 Hornet for chrome plating and detailing. One of the things that needed some attention was the forward lifting eye / bow cleat. After loosening the eye / cleat, went below and removed the plates that hold the threaded lifting rod to the forward bulkhead. A fair amount of rust was on it so I took them all to the shop for clean up.
Behind the steel plate that connects the threaded lifting rod to the bulkhead was the hull number stamped in the steel! 19-59. It matches what's behind the dash in magic marker (C19-59), and the silver sticker behind the seat (C19HV-59).
Anyone else know of other secret hiding places that Donzi put identification numbers?

Lenny
06-16-2005, 08:04 PM
cool, I did not know that. You mean on the angle iron across the spreader... right ???

DonziDave
06-16-2005, 09:17 PM
On my 1986-18 the hull I.D # is also etched in the deck gelcoat under the starbord rear scoop.

Tony
06-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Although it's been a long time since I've been up there, I seem to remember mine being marked on the block that the trailer eye bolt goes through.

Morgan's Cloud
06-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Any one who's had the fortitude to read my posts :wink: will have noticed that this is a pet subject for me as I've been unable to find any HIN on my '66 St Tropez. I will pull out that bracket this weekend and have another look , but I think I would have noticed it already as I've handled it many times in the last 3 years .
Thanks for that info Bob .. seeing our hulls are the same I might get lucky .

Steve

Bob
06-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Lenny-- "cool, I did not know that. You mean on the angle iron across the spreader... right ??? "

Lenny- no angle iron on mine. Hull # stamped on the back of the flat bar that is bolted to the aft side of the forward bulkhead. A vertical tube is welded to the plate. The threaded rod goes through the tubing with a lock nut below. Threaded rod goes up to the lifting eye on deck.

kjly63
06-17-2005, 11:17 AM
:) :) :) very cool find. I wish I could find a hull # on my '72 20ft Cig. I spoke with someone who told me to look for a signiture of a guy who used to sign all the boats he put together at the time............no luck yet. :(

Kenny

lyncha00
07-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Any one who's had the fortitude to read my posts :wink: will have noticed that this is a pet subject for me as I've been unable to find any HIN on my '66 St Tropez. I will pull out that bracket this weekend and have another look , but I think I would have noticed it already as I've handled it many times in the last 3 years .
Thanks for that info Bob .. seeing our hulls are the same I might get lucky .

Steve

An old salt at the marina told me that Donzi didn't start labeling the hulls until the early 70s. Don't know if its true or not but would explain why we haven't had any luck.

Marlin275
07-20-2005, 05:09 PM
An old salt at the marina told me that Donzi didn't start labeling the hulls until the early 70s. Don't know if its true or not but would explain why we haven't had any luck.

It's true, Coast Guard mandated it in 1973.

gcarter
07-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Minx's with the side mounted air vents have the hull # molded into the deck molding cutout under the forward starboard vent.
Which brings up an interesting question...Tim Morris's Minx has top mounted clam shell vents. So I wonder if his deck is so marked?
The vent openings are cut in with a saw.

mphatc
07-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Early Chisolm boats should have hull numbers hidden in 3 places and came with a small aluminum foil tag with typed numbers behind one of the rear seat cushions. Most of the latter have likely disappeared over time as the backing was paper.

1. on the back of the dash instrument mounting face
2. on the wood block that mounts the bow eye (trailering tow eye)
3. and the spot initially discussed here.

3A.....? There is a rumor that there it was also written on the wood under the fiberglass on the small bulkhead that the forward lifting eye gets bolted to . . . ???

Mario

Morgan's Cloud
07-21-2005, 07:07 AM

Yes , I've been aware of this for some time ... But are'nt there a substantial number of board members here who have pre 1970's boats and have found their numbers ? ?

I can confirm that my number is not in any of the places mentioned above by Mario .. and I keep forgetting to go and look at my lifting ring bracket :banghead:

Tim Morris
07-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Minx's with the side mounted air vents have the hull # molded into the deck molding cutout under the forward starboard vent.
Which brings up an interesting question...Tim Morris's Minx has top mounted clam shell vents. So I wonder if his deck is so marked?
The vent openings are cut in with a saw.

Good question George. I'll check it out.
I know the # is on the transom starboard
just under the rub rail - but I'll check it further.