PDA

View Full Version : 270

onesubdrvr
06-16-2005, 05:51 PM
I was looking at a boat the other day for a friend of mine :biggrin: , that had the old Volvo 270 drive on it. I told him I didn't know much about these drives, can we talk for a littlebit about these drives, what kind of power can they handle, RPM's, shifting / etc, general reliability,..etc.

Thanks
Wayne

MOP
06-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Great strong reliable, some will argue but they are not as fast through the water as the Merc's or late style Volvos drives. There are a ton with some big ponies running through them.

Phil

Marlin275
06-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Someone said they are stronger than the boats they are installed on.
That is why you can find so many available in boatyards.
The boat dies and the drive doesn't stop beating, lives on.
Mine is 32 years old and still kicking.
Shift like butter?
Bulletproof
500+ hp

Energizer Bunny has a 270 drive

boldts
06-16-2005, 06:37 PM
I had a 250 Volvo on my 69 18' Classic. Basiclly the same thing I believe. It didn't have the power trim that the Mercruiser has. There is a 270 or 280 model that has power trim I believe, but not as readily available. Anyway, my 250 needed rebuilt the first year I bought the boat. Wiped out the top gear. For 13 years after that rebuild, it never had another problem when I sold the boat. I was told you can turn as many RPMs through the drive as you want. So, if you have a nice small block turning 5500 or more at wot, don't worry about the drive. Just don't put a lot of stress on it by turning big props or catching air with-out relaxing the throttle on re-entry.

Just my experience for what-ever its worth.

tmdog
06-16-2005, 07:03 PM
How strong is a Volvo? Let me see. In the late 70's I contacted Volvo to inquire about how much RPM the drive could handle. First let me tell you of the setup in a 69- 18' Donzi. My son and I pulled his race engine out of his El Camino and installed in the Donzi. The boat was equipped with old Edelbock log type exhaust. Reversion was a unknown term during that time, at least not in my boating circle. The SBC 327 was set up with the most nastiest cam that was specially ground by Crane. On top was a high rise Edelbrock manifold and two holley carbs. Couldn't put it in gear while running because it idled at 1200 rpm and would snap the vertical shaft in a instant. After replacing 2 of those shafts, we started in neutral until warmed up and than shut it off and shift into forward and start again and you were on your way.
The answer to my question to Volvo was give it as many rpm that you can give it. He was right. I ran a solid hub prop and measured 16x27. Rpm was in the mid 6's. It was a handful in the higher rpm but that Donzi had the smoothest ride of any boat I have ever owned. To me Volvo is the best outdrive made for strenght and longeverty, bar non. :angryfire :angryfire

onesubdrvr
06-16-2005, 11:33 PM
That's good information, I'll pass it along to my friend :D ,...are rebuild parts still available?

You guys are the best
Wayne

boldts
06-17-2005, 06:21 AM
Wayne - Parts are abundant and even new replacement parts are available to some extent. Of course, and here's one of the reasons Merc. is so popular, Volvo is Sweden. The parts cost more. Thing is, if the drive almost never breaks, your spending that money less often. I think I had close to $2000 in the gear set for my 250 when it broke and that was some 15 years ago? :eek: