PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) Likens American Troops to Nazis

MrsDigger
06-16-2005, 01:49 AM
http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/

Senator Durbin (http://durbin.senate.gov/) thinks that temperatures over 100 degrees (mind you, my husband, stationed in Iraq, consistently deals with temperature extremes in excess of 100 degrees F) and the loud playing of rap music (I grant you, I would consider that tortuous, myself, but please!) are equal to Josef Mengele's medical experiments on Jews interned at Auschwitz; or to the travails of Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn in a Russian gulag.

I don't know which is worse: the idea that Durbin hates America and our service men and women so much that he equates them with Nazis, or the idea that a senator whose last name doesn't begin with the letter "K" could truly be so STUPID.

Let's see...a hot, sweaty terrorist...or...

RedDog
06-16-2005, 07:00 AM
amen

TuxedoPk
06-16-2005, 08:56 AM
"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime--Pol Pot or others--that had no concern for human beings. Sadly, that is not the case. This was the action of Americans in the treatment of their prisoners."

Is there more or is this the only quote being referrenced to when attacking Dubin's comments?

Purely from the above I'm missing the following:
- How Dubin hates America
- How Dubin hates American service men and women
- That Dubin views as EQUAL the actions of a small group of our service people to the acts of the Nazis, Soviet and other regimes.

My read is that Dubin in implying that he views and assumes all listeners would rightly view that America and its troops are much more honorable than the people who would ever be associated with these acts. Isn't this how we want our leaders, our citizens, and the world to believe?

If we want the world to view us with the respect and credibility that we held in Winston Churchill's day then it does mean we are need to act at a higher standard. A standard that rightfully just doesn't seem to make much sense at times like providing more comfortable temperatures for prisoners than our faithful and heroic service men and women are subject to on a daily basis.

It is wrong to lower our standards of treatment; When looking at the seemingly rediculous comparitive standards our troops must endure-It is their endurance of these conditions that is part of the sacrifice we honor. A sacrifice they ultimately make not just for the United States, but the future of the entire world.

ChromeGorilla
06-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Very well put Tux. I have to agree.

RedDog
06-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Hugh Hewitt - " Durbin's slander of the American military, and his refusal to apologize for it has now been picked up by Al Jazeera's English operation. One can only wonder what the Arabic broadcasts are saying about the second ranking Democrat in the United States Senate's declaration that only a "mad regime" like Pol Pot could run a Gitmo.

Durbin, like Newsweek before him, has handed our enemies a great propaganda victory, one that will echo through the years in madrassas and caves and whispered conversations among would-be killers of Americans. ("Even their highest officials admit they run camps like the Nazis and Pol Pot!" Hit audio.)"

TuxedoPk
06-16-2005, 05:08 PM
There is a basic problem when people become more concerned about a person making a statement protected by our unequaled rights than about acknowleging and correcting the wrongs done by a small minority whose actions attempt to destroy the basic respect for human rights and dignity that America as a whole represents.

Valor in action is far more important than carefully guarding our words.
If we were truly interested in stopping to feed the propaganda machine, shouldn't our shift our focus off Dubin and onto those whose conduct was severely short sighted and undignified?

I'm hoping Al Jazeera really runs with this story. It would be a nice rest for our troops under daily attack to have the insurgents waste as much time blogging Dubin's comments as some of our own citizens seem to invest. Perhaps AOL could do an airdrop of free startup CDs to help them get up and running. If we really wanted to cripple and bring them to their knees quickly we could also airdrop massive quantities of Microsoft Licensing. Operation Blue Screen of Death anyone? :)