PDA

View Full Version : Major stress cracks are "normal"???

rag top man
06-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Looking on Ebay last night, came across an ad for a 1997 22 ZX with some pics that showed some questionable stress cracks. The seller says "The hairline cracks shown in the pictures should not affect the integrity of the boat and are only on the surface. They're common in boats that reach high speeds."

here's the link, any thoughts? any of you 22zx guys see this on your boats???
how about on the Classics???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4556352961&category=31271&sspagename=WDVW

Look at the last three pics in particular. thanks in advance.

rag top man

Ranman
06-15-2005, 12:41 PM
The hairline cracks are indeed cosmetic. They are not structural cracks and should not have any effect on hull integrity. While unsightly, many many boats have them (classics included). They are typocally the result of gel coat being too thick in a given area. This happens primarily around inside and outside corners where gel likes to build, but can happen anywhere gel is layed on too thick. In most cases they are incredibly difficult to repair such that they won't return. I have never heard of speed being the cause of these types of cracks.

My advice: If you don't like where they are or they are exceptionally unsightly, you may want to pass or negotiate harder on the price. If you don't mind the location or cosmetic appearance, don;t let them bother you too much.

gcarter
06-15-2005, 01:18 PM
The gelcoat is much more brittle than the 'glass lay-up. The 'glass gives, the gel doesn't.

Morgan's Cloud
06-15-2005, 01:43 PM
hmmmm ...

In all honesty ,I've never seen a 22ZX before , but I have seen a bunch of stress cracks on different boats.
I'm certainly not trying to diss Ran or George here because I know they are both knowledgable to say the least , but something makes me a bit uneasy here .. especially the first photo. It almost looks like it might be impact related .

I can say from personal experience that sometimes what appears to be 'only' a stress crack can in a fact be structural and even the experts have mis-diagnosed them .

Steve

boxy
06-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Where do you think the fourth last pic is situated... I can't see a Donzi logo in white anywhere...

DJ13
06-15-2005, 02:27 PM
I have a '99 22ZX. No stress fractures on my hull for what it's worth. There are a few on my floor but appear to be minor. I've heard of them happening and I've been in some rough water with my boat but have yet to develop them on the hull, so I'm not positive on what the cause typically is. I doubt that boat would crack into pieces if that's what you're worried about, but then again, I can only judge from the digital photos. You'd want to see them in person before laying down any $$$!

gcarter
06-15-2005, 02:28 PM
A number of years ago, I had a twin screw sport fisherman. One day out of Ft. Pierce, I ran into some good size waves coming back into the channel. I almost stuffed the bow into the back side of a wave. Nothing happened, and I never thought about it again.
Later, when I had it out to re do the bottom paint, I noticed some gel cracks along the bow in the area of the V-berths. In other words, the hull sides gave when the bow was submerged almost to the deck, and there was flexing in the area around the reinforced part near the V-berths. The gel cracked, but I can assure you, there was no damage to the hull. I suppose it could have been worse though. :boat:

Mudball
06-15-2005, 03:15 PM
My 1999 22ZX has no stress cracks.
I have never seen stress cracks like on that boat.

I would question what the seller says, though, as other parts of the ad are questionable.

His boat ran 65 with only 2 of the 4 barrels of the carb operating????????

In reality, that boat would likely barely break 60 gps on a good day...It's a 7.4 carb, 330 crank hp, and 300 prop hp...

His Gimbal broke from lack of use???? Never heard of that before!!
===
Be sure to check the laws in your area too, as switchable exhaust is illegal in a growing number of areas...

If I were looking seriously at that boat, I would surely have a reputable surveyer check it out!!

blackhawk
06-15-2005, 03:47 PM
I think some stress cracks are normal. But there does appear to be some good sized cracks on this boat. I think he was referring to his gimbal bearing, not the gimbal ring or housing.

And I am sure his boat can run 65mph ON THE SPEEDO! :D

DJ13
06-15-2005, 04:17 PM
My 1999 22ZX has no stress cracks.

His boat ran 65 with only 2 of the 4 barrels of the carb operating????????

In reality, that boat would likely barely break 60 gps on a good day...It's a 7.4 carb, 330 crank hp, and 300 prop hp...

Be sure to check the laws in your area too, as switchable exhaust is illegal in a growing number of areas...

If I were looking seriously at that boat, I would surely have a reputable surveyer check it out!!

Absolutely on the spot with the gps speed rating. My 454 MPI does just a little over 60 on a good day in perfect conditions with just me on board. Speedo says 65 but that's just wishful thinking!

Any idea why Silent Choice is illegal? I have it and found out it's illegal in WA state but I'm not taking it off. You would think it would be encouraged for obvious reasons...

blackhawk
06-15-2005, 04:27 PM
I think it's becoming illegal because they want your boat to be quiet ALL THE TIME. :rolleyes:

Mudball
06-15-2005, 04:40 PM
And I am sure his boat can run 65mph ON THE SPEEDO! :D

I realize that, when running well, but he said he was hitting that with only two barrels of the carb working?!

Uncle Fester
06-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Nasty looking cracks. My '99 doesn't have even one on the running surface (only in the windsheild above the throttle when it spun out on me).

Here is a pic of my Cobalt before I got the Donzi. These were caused by rough water. I rubbed blue chalk on it before the pics to show the cracks better. Several repair shops I took it to said it would be cheaper to just deal with it. Said it would be hard for them to repair and make it perfect again. Said it didn't compromise the strength of the hull.

GG Donzi
06-15-2005, 08:25 PM
This boat has been on there a few times, my opinion in a few words "Beat and too much money!" Looks like the rub rail hit something pretty hard. A friend just bought one earlier this year (with a 454 Mag) in the mid teens (which was a great deal). I would not buy one without a stepped haul myself.

gold-n-rod
06-15-2005, 08:46 PM
The hairline cracks are indeed cosmetic. They are not structural cracks and should not have any effect on hull integrity. While unsightly, many many boats have them (classics included). They are typocally the result of gel coat being too thick in a given area. This happens primarily around inside and outside corners where gel likes to build, but can happen anywhere gel is layed on too thick. In most cases they are incredibly difficult to repair such that they won't return. I have never heard of speed being the cause of these types of cracks.

My advice: If you don't like where they are or they are exceptionally unsightly, you may want to pass or negotiate harder on the price. If you don't mind the location or cosmetic appearance, don;t let them bother you too much.

Ranman speaks the truth. My 24 footer (not a Donzi) had a bunch of them from new. The factory even repaired some before it shipped. I had a fiberglass repair shop look it all over and they said the same thing Randy described above. I've run the boat 15 years and none of the cracks has been a problem.

Now, impact induced cracks (as someone suggested) is another story. No, not "normal."

Cuda
06-15-2005, 09:15 PM
I've seen stress cracks on nearly everyboat that has much time on it. As Ranman said, usually in a corner, or on a curve. Some boats have more than others. I had some removed on my Minx. The guy said the only way to remove them is to grind them out and regel the area. I didn't have him remove all of them, I think I could have bought a Zr cheaper. :)

MOP
06-15-2005, 10:39 PM
That many cracks would scare me off, in one pic there are over 20. some show the discoloration of being there a long time, to me it looks like it was run real hard in rough water. True it may not amount to anything structuraly but darned unsightly.

Phil