PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration Problems '94 22 Classic

jeffaf
06-15-2005, 09:23 AM
We have a '94 22 classic that we purchased from a friend. It probably has around 100 hours on it. It has a mercruiser 454 in it. For the first 10 years of her life she was used at Lake Tahoe, CA 2 weeks a year. End of last summer we bought her and put her in the California Delta.

Everything had been running great until we launched her a few weeks back. She started up fine but when I put her into gear she seemed to be running a little ruff.

When I tried to give her gas she stayed in gear but didn't rev or accelerate.

The mechanic looking at her says it's not the throttle.

Does anyone have any ideas or can you recommend a Donzi service center in Northern California preferrably in Contra Costa or Alameda counties?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.:confused:

txtaz
06-15-2005, 09:54 AM
No pro here, but I would look to see if the throttle cable advances the carb. Maybe your cable is loose or broken.
Does it rev up in neutral? Can you rev it by hand like a car? I have an MPI, so not sure about the carb setup.
If it does nothing, i.e., stays at idle rpm's, it's the throttle cable. If you advance the throttle and it tries to go and stumbles, it's the fuel line. Replace the filter/seperator and clean the flame arestor.
If it revs by hand but not by remote control, it could be the remote. Pull a few screws and see if the cable is attached and tight.
Hope this helps,
Wes
P.S. Welcome to the board.

FASTEDDIE
06-15-2005, 01:51 PM
you don't necessarily have to go to a Donzi dealer to troubleshoot your problem. Any mercruiser authorized service center can help you. Your engine may have an electronic chip which allows the dealer to plug into your engine with a Mercruiser electronic troubleshooter gauge. It will then test all faucets of your engine and display a code number or a series of code numbers which directs the dealer to the area in the engine that is failing. Call your local Mercruiser dealer and ask for an appointment.

Bad-Tat
06-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Joe P had similar problems with his 94. The fancy Merc testing tool said all was right with the world. Ended up being the ign pickup in the dist. New one and the boat was back up to speed.