PDA

View Full Version : Minx Bling-Bling!!!!

gcarter
06-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Got some deck hardware back from the platers today.
Tomorrow it goes back on the boat. It's a never ending quest.....The Perfect Minx!
When I get the bottom re-gelled, it'll be close.
Oh yeah, the other set that's been on the boat for awhile, is already sold and will be shipped tomorrow. I was fortunate to be able to purchase the hardware off the wrecked Minx in Seattle last year. You may find a set of lifting eyes, but you're NOT going to find another set of hinges. They are unique to this boat.

ChromeGorilla
06-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Very nice hardware George. Should look great.

And theres just something about someone over 50 using the words bling bling that makes me chuckle.... :rlol: ;) :D

txtaz
06-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Looking good George.
I'm glad I don't need rare hardware. :biggrin:
Wes

gcarter
06-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Very nice hardware George. Should look great.

And theres just something about someone over 50 using the words bling bling that makes me chuckle.... :rlol: ;) :D
I guess I probably learned it on this site!! :shocking:

olredalert
06-15-2005, 09:34 AM
George,

-------Not doubting you on the rarity of the hinges at all, but why did you find them so rare? Is it the hole pattern or something else? Almost every marine salvor I have run across, including two in Fla., have had a bunch of very similar looking hinges. Matter of fact I think I put two sets on Marios Corsican before I sold it to him. Just wondering...........Bill S

Lenny
06-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Those lift rings look like the set I have off of a Cigarette. Those hinges do look different. Ol ' Red, if you find a set of the old style hatch hinges, THAT ARE LEFT AND RIGHT and don't allow the hatch to come off the pintles and into your hands when opened, I would be greatky appreciative. Two hole.

Like these...but a left and right set http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12096

Bob
06-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Guys - this hardware is available from Algonac Cast products. I ordered 2 sets of left / right hinges for the hatches on the Hornet. Pricey, but original equipment. In fact they probably made the original cast "Donzi" deck scoops. They have ones in their catalog just like 'em only without "Donzi" logo.
My catalog is at home or I could give you parts ##'s. They were not real happy to sell small orders direct but enough begging and they gave in.
In fact, I have an extra set of eyes and trim rings like those if anyone needs them. :yes:

olredalert
06-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Bob,

-------You are correct on almost all accounts. As I live only 4 miles from ACP I am very familiar with them. They have no scoops in stock at the moment and I couldnt seem to generate enough interest in some new ones here on the board a while back to warrant my stepping up to the plate on an order of 50. If there are bonified orders now I would be happy to undertake this project. I cant pinpoint the price as ACP no longer does its own chrome plating and although they have a place they never got back to me with a plating price. I would suspect, however, that the final price would end up somewhere between $100 and $125........Bill S

--------By the way, they never did the scoops with DONZI cast into them. Those were done by another supplier out of either Maine or New Hampshire.

EricG
06-15-2005, 12:42 PM
I was fortunate to be able to purchase the hardware off the wrecked Minx in Seattle last year.

I remember seeing that you got a lot of great stuff off of the wrecked boat. Did you buy the stuff from the former owner, or did the hull go to a salvage dealer? I'd just love to see if I could find it, out of morbid curiosity.

Do you know if it a volvo boat by any chance? If so, I ran into it at a gas station about a year before it was wrecked....or if not, well, that means there is a blue/white minx with a Volvo still running around up here somewhere.

The hardware looks GREAT by the way :)

EG

gcarter
06-15-2005, 01:06 PM
What makes them different is the amount of "crank" in the pins. The bend in the hinges allows them to work with the camber of the deck.
These are flatter than the 18's or 22's since the aft part of the deck of the Minx has less camber.
Eric, the hull still exists. Call Central Collision, 253-859-2822.
No Volvo, very typical Alpha I. The lower was destroyed on the rocks. The engine was running WOT when it went aground, and seized. I don't think there's much left that's useable.

Tim Morris
06-15-2005, 01:08 PM
You may find a set of lifting eyes, but you're NOT going to find another set of hinges. They are unique to this boat.

Another bit of knowledge for me. Thanks George. You going through this resto has taught me alot. Some things I may have known before but have
since been purged along with the associated brain cells. I am probably similar age as you, so you understand what I'm saying.

Bling Bling? My lady uses the term alot. I don't do boat bling bling - there's
no budget left after she's done with me.

gcarter
06-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Those lift rings look like the set I have off of a Cigarette. Those hinges do look different. Ol ' Red, if you find a set of the old style hatch hinges, THAT ARE LEFT AND RIGHT and don't allow the hatch to come off the pintles and into your hands when opened, I would be greatky appreciative. Two hole.

Like these...but a left and right set http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12096
Lenny, these hinges are still in production. Perko. I don't remember the part #'s.

gcarter
06-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Bling Bling? My lady uses the term alot. I don't do boat bling bling - there's
no budget left after she's done with me.
Hi Tim;
I usually don't either. It's a slow process to fit into the budget.
Finding this boat in Seattle was a God send!!!
Where else would I have found a windshield?

Tim Morris
06-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Absolutely, the windshield is another unique part of this model.

Fortunately, I've owned my Minx since new and have been able
to keep it up over the years. No bling is not quite true - new
carpet & steering wheel and wet sanded the red sides this year.
You can bet I put that off as long as possible for the sake of
originality - but it looks brand new again. The red on the starboard
side was faded to near white - what a difference.

What a disease - what a cult we have going here!

Keep us up to speed George - great posts.

Speed-Racer
06-15-2005, 03:57 PM
George....Where did you get your "bling-bling" plated at?? Please shoot me an e-mail at donzibk@aol.com

TOPSY II
06-15-2005, 04:55 PM
George: Anxious to see your Minx up close and personal, (it'll give me something to aim at whilst I try to bring mine up to speed.) The Hardware looks GREAT, I just put replacing the hinges on my "to do list".. my lifting rings are "ok", but I'm also thinking of adding some pop up cleats, fore and aft...drives the guys at the marina NUTS trying to tie her to the dock while waiting for me to show up.

As you so aptly put it... A little "BLING BLING" ( as you know, I'm of your generation also, but my wife and son FORCE me to stay current)..hip..never, but at least CURRENT!

Keep plugging away...#56 has never had it so good!

Pete
TOPSYII

TOPSY II
06-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Ya know..the more I read and learn on this site, I JUST CAN'T WAIT to get all the Minx owners in one place at one time...Would that be AWESOME or WHAT!?

Just an "open THANK YOU" to all on the Registry, what a GREAT PLACE to learn, share and network...It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

TOPSYII

gcarter
06-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Ya know..the more I read and learn on this site, I JUST CAN'T WAIT to get all the Minx owners in one place at one time...Would that be AWESOME or WHAT!

TOPSYII
Pete, that would be like herding cats! :jestera: :rlol:
You know only two showed up at AOTH.

TOPSY II
06-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Guilty as charged George..but it's a thought...My "annual" trip to Vegas for meetings nailed me this year, but I promise to make it to the next one...You're the "INGINER"/EGGERNER..aw hell...figure out how to make it happen!!!:jestera:
It would be an absolute blast!! Donzi Marine would probably show up just to take a S_ _ _ LOAD of Pics!

TOPSYII

Pete, that would be like herding cats! :jestera: :rlol:
You know only two showed up at AOTH.

Drinsect
06-15-2005, 09:25 PM
George....Where did you get your "bling-bling" plated at?? Please shoot me an e-mail at donzibk@aol.com
I just got my chrome repated. I am restoring a 21-GT. The recroming was done by Ronny Roundtree 165 Sumpter Rigge Dr. Midway, FL 32343 850-980-2506 Cell 850-576-3792 Home. Midway is near Tallahassee. I will post pictures tomarrow. I still have the stearing wheel hub and speed control/shifter to recorme

Drinsect Jacksonville

MOP
06-15-2005, 10:20 PM
George the hinges look the same as my 86 22 right down to the counter sunk screw hole to hold them from sliding apart, I know mine are the same as Ken's 88 Minx from up on th St Lawrence. You are right about the deck camber thing mine have to be a little loose to not work the deck, they really should have a wedge shim to alow them to work level.

Phil

Tim Morris
06-16-2005, 06:27 AM
Well, that settles it.. Tim, if your boat looks better this year then last, I'm leaving mine home :eek: :eek:

Thinking out loud....'salt encrusted thing that it is'.

YoAnthony
06-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Guys,

I have an excellent chrome guy, and personal friend of mine, in New jersey and on the Chesapeake on the weekends.

There is much to know about chrome to get a good job. Preparation prior to chroming is the key. Plating with copper first then chrome will make the chrome adhere better. Chroming over the cast bronze will peel eventually, like on my scoops.

His name is Don Burch. You can contact him at www.PolishedTreasures.com (http://www.polishedtreasures.com/)

Anthony

gcarter
06-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Guys,

I have an excellent chrome guy, and personal friend of mine, in New jersey and on the Chesapeake on the weekends.

There is much to know about chrome to get a good job. Preparation prior to chroming is the key. Plating with copper first then chrome will make the chrome adhere better. Chroming over the cast bronze will peel eventually, like on my scoops.

His name is Don Burch. You can contact him at www.PolishedTreasures.com (http://www.polishedtreasures.com/)

Anthony
Yes to everything you said. The guy I found in Orlando uses a LOT of copper, which is what he uses to do the surface repairs, then nickel, then chrome. In other words, he puts enough copper on to smooth any surface blemishes before plating w/nickel, and then chrome.

Zudnic
06-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Eric, my brother was at an insurance auction a couple of months ago looking for a parts car. He phoned me to tell me a "Donzi" type hull was on the block. Might be the Minx.

George, can't wait for more pics, need good drool factor wallpaper for my computer! :biggrin.:

YoAnthony
06-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Yes to everything you said. The guy I found in Orlando uses a LOT of copper, which is what he uses to do the surface repairs, then nickel, then chrome. In other words, he puts enough copper on to smooth any surface blemishes before plating w/nickel, and then chrome.

Exactly! One more thing to note, there are different types of chrome. There is something called "environmental" chrome that car makers use to chrome grills and such. Ever notice that the chrome starts wearing away where rainwater runs over this type of chrome? And then there is "triple chrome" this is what Don Burch uses. It tends to throw more evenly.

It is apparently difficult to get chrome to throw on inside surfaces, like the inside of the lifting rings in the picture on this thread for example. Good surface prep and polishing, lots of copper as you said, and triple chrome make a big difference in the quality of the finished product. And, you usually get what you pay for.