PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a boat at home....

synack
06-14-2005, 09:37 AM
If you keep your boat at home, what kind of set up do you have? Is it in the driveway, garage, side of the house, shed, etc?

I've been thinking of selling my townhome and getting a house. With this development, I would like to keep my boat trailered at home as opposed to keeping it in the water. What kind of set-ups do you guys have if you keep it at home?

Johntrip
06-14-2005, 10:41 AM
I keep my boat next to my bedroom window.... Miami is a theft haven. I have a backyard gate made of wood dog ears and an aluminum frame. a front yard gate made of metal with electric locking gates. I put a hub lock thru one of the trailer tires and a hitch lock on the front. I recommend a concrete slab. If you leave your trailer tires on the ground long enough the tires will rot. Also a nice Canopy is ideal for shade and protection from falling leaves,bird ****, and other elements....

gold-n-rod
06-14-2005, 10:52 AM
My summer place is 1 block to Lake Michigan (via a small bay) and about 1 mile to the boat launch into Crystal Lake, one of the world's finest inland lakes. At the last remodeling, I added 12 feet of length onto the 24' heated, attached garage, plus, two 10' overhead doors (the garage had a very high ceiling). It blends into the lines of the ranch home design using the same roofline, windows and siding. It's hard to tell there is 32' of garage there.

Now, I can simply back the boat (our 24 footer) in and out whenever it's desired. No sun, no rain, no birds, no crooks, etc. I don't even have to winterize as it stays at 55* all winter long.

As soon as I figure out where to put our four wheeled toy now occupying the 2nd bay, I'll be able to back the new 16 in right next to the other boat.

Life is good.

glashole
06-14-2005, 11:19 AM
be careful about not winterizing a boat in heated storage unless you have a generator back-up

undertaker
06-14-2005, 01:49 PM
I keep my boat next to my bedroom window.... Miami is a theft haven. I have a backyard gate made of wood dog ears and an aluminum frame. a front yard gate made of metal with electric locking gates. I put a hub lock thru one of the trailer tires and a hitch lock on the front. I recommend a concrete slab. If you leave your trailer tires on the ground long enough the tires will rot. Also a nice Canopy is ideal for shade and protection from falling leaves,bird ****, and other elements....

JOHNTRIP, NICE BOAT!!!! :wink: :biggrin.: :wink: :biggrin.:

blueliner
06-15-2005, 03:28 AM
i keep mine on a lift. it is the ****!!!!!!!!!!!! no trailering, boat doesn't sit in the water and you can do all kinds of work on the boat w/out having to pull it. money well spent in my opinion. ease of use, no excuse not to take boat out. it already is out. love mine and wouldn't trade it for the world...

Marlin275
06-15-2005, 12:01 PM
I have the trailer on a concrete slab in the backyard.
Seems to work just fine, except for the birds in the trees,
the shade is nice.
My Hudson River boat ramp is just a few miles away.
Can work on all aspects of the boat easily.

DonziDave
06-15-2005, 09:00 PM
I keep my 18-classic in the front yard. However it's a real pain in the rear to launch it. I have to walk down to my boathouse where the boat is suspended by the cable hoist from the lifting rings. After I flip the switch, it takes close to 2 minutes for it to lower...!!! And after I come in for the day, you got it, another 2 minutes to raise. Who the hell has that kind of time to waste? I have got to look for a faster hoist.

LOL...... :biggrin:

gcarter
06-15-2005, 09:09 PM
I keep the Minx in a warehouse my company rents. My business is about 1 1/2 miles from one lake and 2 1/2 miles from another lake. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to either of these after I hook up.
I can't keep the boat at home, although there is a storage yard. There's also a marina in my neighborhood, but I don't use it.
It's so much more convenient to work in the warehouse. I can paint or anything I wish to do. It's also pretty secure. I can also sneak out there during the day when I can get away with it. (hint) my wife is my business partner.

show-n-go h2o
06-16-2005, 01:16 AM
against all the rule of the community, in the driveway.

Lenny
06-16-2005, 01:39 AM
I hope so Marcy ;) ( the 4 day thing) :D

...and yes you can, the IMG thing, just link and img code to it.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10378

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11877

:)

Not bad for a Democrat eh :D

Cuda
06-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Let see..........right now, I have my 302 Formula between the house and the garage on a slab, the 20 Formula in the garage, the fishboat outside on the other side of the garage, the Minx in the driveway in front of the garage, the jon boat on the dock, and the v hull at my dad's house. :)

Magicallbill
06-16-2005, 04:51 AM
Let see..........right now, I have my 302 Formula between the house and the garage on a slab, the 20 Formula in the garage, the fishboat outside on the other side of the garage, the Minx in the driveway in front of the garage, the jon boat on the dock, and the v hull at my dad's house. :)

Cuda, I wanna be just like you when I grow up....

My Scorp.18 and Jason's '99 18 are both inside,depending on who;s using what,they alternate between my barn and our storage bins,7 miles away.
I feel it's inperative to keep expensive Donzi's inside if at all possible. Big difference in wear-and-tear and glass oxidizing in the long run.

Magical

EricG
06-16-2005, 10:39 AM
I keep my 18 in the garage at my condo - it's a tight fit, but I've got 1 or 2 inches to spare:

http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/149egudgel18-6.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/149egudgel18-5.jpg

When I'm up at the cabin, it lives on a bouy out in front of the house. My dad won't let me kick the MasterCraft off the lift...bastard :biggrin.:

-EG

Trueser
06-16-2005, 11:07 AM
I built this side drive for mine. Including the wall.

Craig S
06-17-2005, 09:08 AM
I built this side drive for mine. Including the wall.

That wall looks sharp!

Cuda
06-17-2005, 09:17 AM
This shows why I keep my most expensive boat between the garage and the house. It provided the most protection for it during the hurricanes last year. It would be a helluva lot easier to park one of my smaller one's there.

RickSE
06-17-2005, 10:33 AM
24' x 50' attached garage. The boat sits in the back corner during winter and up front during summer. 50' is long enough for a 22 on the trailer and one car lined up front to back.