PDA

View Full Version : New Owner- Happy Birthday To Me

fastcat
06-13-2005, 10:08 AM
I received my birthday present from my husband this weekend- a 19??, 18 2+3, Barrel back, V-Drive. I have lots of questions and will be needing help. MadPoodle has been trying to help me figure out the year. It is titled as a '73 but the previous owner and we know that it is probably somewhere in the 67- to early 69 range. I checked behnd the dash and there are some numbers written in black marker, the first of which are illegible but they end in -18 or 181.
It does not have the original engine.
Here is what I know so far:
- Engine replaced in '91 with a marine SBC 350
- Boat painted 2 years ago
- Upholstery redone last year
- Has not been in the water since 1997 but engine has been run periodically.

The owner started it up for my husband and it started easily. Yesterday morning we drained the gas and changed the oil started it up and it sounded great!!. We took it down and launched it for it’s maiden voyage and it started, ran a few seconds then died..then we could not get it started again- turn the key and nothing- the gauges moved so we know there was power- Figured there is a loose wire somewhere in the ignition switch or ign system, so loaded it back up- At least she looked really good floating in the water briefly and the rumble attracted attention.

It would really help me to see pictures of any 67-69 18s, especially of the cockpit/dash so I can see the differences and know what they are supposed to look like as original. You can send them to me directly ghanley@bellsouth.net (ghanley@bellsouth.net) or post them here.

Chili 18
06-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Nice boat!

Nice Gift!

Wish you many safe, fast, miles with smiles...

Chili

goatee
06-13-2005, 10:33 AM
sweet looking ride!
there have been similar problems posted here before. im sure it's a quick fix.
like the gas line shut off for transportation. but you said "nothing" so i dont believe thats it.
good luck.

Moody Blu'
06-13-2005, 11:44 AM
dude that thing is mint, is that a paint job or original gel?

does the starter solenoid click? if not try jumping the solenoid and if it cranks then you need s solenoid, this just happened to me.

fastcat
06-13-2005, 01:09 PM
dude that thing is mint, is that a paint job or original gel?

does the starter solenoid click? if not try jumping the solenoid and if it cranks then you need s solenoid, this just happened to me.

No sound from the solenoid so tonight we'll check that out.

BERTRAM BOY
06-13-2005, 01:22 PM
1) If it's a 1966, it's VERY late '66....It's a single hatch.

2) What material is the core made out of ? Foam or balsa? That could approximate the build date.

3) The dash panel is not original......there are tons of pics in the registry.

4) Last but not least, the boat is very cool. There aren't too many V-drive 18's.

Cuda
06-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Check the ignition switch. You can jump across the connections to check it. I had a bad one that I would have sworn there couldn't be anything wrong with it. After I had replaced every concievable thing else, I changed the ignition switch and fired it right up. :frown:

smokediver
06-13-2005, 01:59 PM
nice gift ! reminds me when i bought my mom a catchers mitt for mothers day !

Trueser
06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Wow.... Happy BIrthday

fastcat
06-13-2005, 04:39 PM
nice gift ! reminds me when i bought my mom a catchers mitt for mothers day !

I've wanted a Donzi classic since the first time I saw a sweet sixteen at a boat show 10 years. This boat REALLY is for me. For Mother's Day I asked for (and got) a Mallory Unilite distributor for my '64 Jag XKE. Life is good!

Ed Donnelly
06-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Good move on the Mallory for the Jag.....................Ed

boldts
06-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Wow, what a great B-Day present! That is one very rare 18 Classic. Hope to see it and of course meet you at one of the Donzi gatherings. Sounds like the ignition switch from what I've read here in the past. Especially since it turned over and ran perfectly before. Good luck with her and many safe enjoyable days on the water.

fastcat
06-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the kind words.
I mentioned that the hull number on the registration is not correct. Probably something a previous owner made up to get it registered. I feel fairly comfortable that the writing I found on the back of the dash is 18-181. Unless someone out there can tell me different, this is what I'm going to call it. In checking hull numbers in the registry this would put it in the time frame of the barrel back V-drive era around late 1967 or very early '68.

Any thoughts on me going with that hull number of 181?

BERTRAM BOY
06-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Also check the backing block of the bow eye. The number is sometimes written there.

Just Say N20
06-14-2005, 12:01 PM
"Also check the backing block of the bow eye. The number is sometimes written there."

Whew!:eek: That would be quite an adventure to see it there, unless the boat is apart. I had the bow eye loosen on an 18, and I crawled up there, trying not to destroy the fuel fill tube in the process, to tighten the nylock nuts. Had my son, who was 12 at the time, sit in the boat and talk to me the whole time. VERY CLAUSTROPHIC environment, and his talking was a good distraction. Wouldn't want to do that again.

fastcat
06-14-2005, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=Just Say N20]"Also check the backing block of the bow eye. The number is sometimes written there."

I did check up under the bow but there was nothing there. Probably because someone along the way has removed the lifting eye and filled in the hole so the patch covered anything underneath. Also nothing in the other location I 've heard about of behind the rear cushion.

Silver Bullet
06-15-2005, 12:36 PM
GREAT LOOKING BOAT! The paint and the upholstry look brand new. Congrats and happy B-Day.

As for it not running? I just brought my Donzi home about two weeks ago and the only thing I can do while in the boat is replace empty beer cans with full ones!

fastcat
06-15-2005, 11:22 PM
It's starting every time now, at least while in the yard. My son cleaned all electrical connections today and put in a new battery. So, don't know which thing fixed it- the battery or his labor. The battery that was in it had not been used and was new- 7 years ago.

Re: paint and upholstery- although the boat has not been in the water since '97, the previous owner had it painted 2 years ago and upholstery done last year. I guess he wanted it to look good while sitting in the garage.