PDA

View Full Version : Remote Oil filter lines. Best options??

Chili 18
06-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Took my Gf and her daughter out for a day of fun on the water. Unfortunately, spent most of the day limping home with the kind assistance of fellow boaters. Had an oil line burst. The quick versions like this. Started after sunning, and found low to no OP. Shut down immediately. Thought I found the culprit that sent a pan full of oil into the bilge. Tightened the clamps at the block take off point. They were loose and figured it was blowing out from the loose clamps. Good sam gave me oil to refill offshore. Started, had pressure, inspected, saw no leaks around clamps. Set out to close harbor to get a few more qts just in case before traveling the next 10 miles home. Topped off and set ot. All is good. Pressure drops again. shut down. WHAT. This time oil sprayed on transom gave a clue. Felt along and discovered a slit burst in the hp hose by the takeoff near the block. Luckily, I had tools and the hole was about 6 in from the end. And the hose was long enough to cut out and reinstall. And, I had bought enough extra oil to get home.

What a mess. Spent this morning with detergent and h2o flushing out the bilge. Also finished off at the spray car wash so im all clean again.

The hose was new. Installed at Oselka marina last summer when they installed engine. Not sure what brand they used. But from now on no one else is touching the boat. Thought what the hey, ill pay a pro and be done. Well anyway...

Is it "OK" to use rubber hose with clamps for this filter run? If so, Ill probably just purchase the best HP hose I can find and replace the whole thing. I know aeroquip, or fitting end tubing would be best... And ill do that if you all think it’s necessary. But if replacing the rubber is acceptable, ill just do that.

Hope for some suggestions on best brand or type of hose to use and any tips would be appreciated.

Hope everyone is having a fun weekend...

Chili

Nothing beats hanging upside down in the bilge on the lake with feet in the air. ugggg :-|

gcarter
06-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Aeroquip SST braid is a little over $5.00/ft. The ends are about $15.00 each. I bought the ends I needed along w/some air hose of the same size, mounted the ends, andslipped the air hose on. Then I took these assemblies to the AQ dealer and let him cut the hose and assemble the hoses. Probably last another 20 years. :yes:

MOP
06-12-2005, 04:52 PM
I also split a line a week or so ago at the dock thank God! The original Merc lines were like reinforced garden hose, now you will run into have to change every lat fitting to swap to something else. The good news is the new Merc hoses are now very good quility and rated at 400 psi they do have odd fitttings so buget that in if you switch.

Phil

gcarter
06-12-2005, 05:22 PM
George,

You use the air hose just to size the assembly correct??
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But the fit is tight enough that when you undo the swivel ends, the orientation is still correct. That way you're not putting any torque on the new assemblies if the tech makes them up the way I took the dummy assemblies to them.

Chili 18
06-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Well, Im leaning towards stainless braided. Any experiences with reinforced silicone hose. Know special clamps are suggested to not bite the silicone. Thanks for the airhose fitting suggestion george. Good tip for a proper fit!

Chili... :garfield:

Chili 18
06-12-2005, 07:42 PM
I also split a line a week or so ago at the dock thank God! The original Merc lines were like reinforced garden hose, now you will run into have to change every lat fitting to swap to something else. The good news is the new Merc hoses are now very good quility and rated at 400 psi they do have odd fitttings so buget that in if you switch.

Phil

My sympathies Phil. Lucky it was at the dock. If something is going to break, thats the place...

Chili

Rodger
06-12-2005, 09:47 PM
I use Parker Push-Loc hose and fittings. They have some that are rated for extra high temperature although I don't bother with those. I've had mine on for 18 years with no problems and oil temps getting as high as 280 degrees at 70 psi.

Chili 18
06-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Hmmm This looks like a suitable candidate. Aeroquip push on..

http://www.bakerprecision.com/aqp1.htm

gcarter
06-13-2005, 08:54 AM
Hmmmmm....there have been some other posts on this subject saying the aluminum ends don't hold up well.

Chili 18
06-13-2005, 09:32 AM
Hmmmmm....there have been some other posts on this subject saying the aluminum ends don't hold up well.

Ok then.. If I want the 'ease' of push on... Looks like Parker has the most complete line of hose and brass fittings. Found a distrib twenty miles away. Guess ill measure and pay them a visit.

Ill post an update then.

Thanks Rodger for the Parker info.

Chili 18
06-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Resolution:

The Parker dealer in St Joseph didnt have a great selection of the push-loc hose or fittings. What I wanted, or had in mind, isnt what I ended up with.
However, Its an upgrade none the less. Used 5/8 300psi "push on" hose. Wanted blue, they had... black. Wanted coolie fittings... they didnt have em, said just use the old barbs with clamps... "will be fine". And no doubt, it will be fine. I had some braided sheathing intended for assembling wireing harneses. Its abrasion / oil / heat resistant. So I covered the hoses with that stuff too before installing it. Actually gave it an upgraded look, and will prevent any damage from rubbing. In the end, Im good to go. Wanted something a bit more "aircraft". But its very good quality hose, and, Im back in the water!

I cleaned the bilge by draining the oil into a recycling container thru the back. Used liquid laundry detergent and water in the bilge. Drove around and drained it. Did that about three times. Good as new...

MOP
06-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Chili When I was doing mine I almost went that route, I was uncomfortable with standard hose clamps. The hydraulic shop had clamps very similar to the True Torques smoothe bore with curled up edges so as not to damage the hoses, if I had gone with the hoses and original barbs I would have used them over the regular clamps. Just a thought!

Phil

Chili 18
06-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi MOP,

The woven sheathing is under the clamp between the clamp and hose. As a side bennefit, it cushions the clamp and defuses the hard edges.

Just discovered what happened. Blankity blank marina used hose rated at sae 30R7. Gates. So good hose, but not rated for the job. 35psi on the 5/8 size. No wonder. New stuff is 'conservatively rated" at 300 psi. So figure I'm covered now. Also now securely mounted, so Its not bouncing around or making so many turns as they had done it. As a side note, also noted they had run most every other engine hose right up against hard edges. I hate that when only a little extera effort and it can be done safely. NEVER AGAIN, for that marina, and this was supposeedly their top dog mechanic. Enough ranting...

Thanks,
Chili

MOP
06-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Sounds like you have it squared away just fine, an idea for where hoses have to contact a hard edge is to do what I do. Get some thin S/S sheet metal cut a neat little piece form it to fit the hose and secure it in place with a hose clamp, I had to do that in a couple of places that just could not be avoided. I am big on securing things, these things we play with tend to shake anything loose that will come loose.

Phil